Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 923346 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #690 on: January 26, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »

The "Heavy is locked down" by gunfire part has me worried.  Sure, it makes sense that a guy should never charge out into where he could be shot, but X-COM is X-COM and sometimes you'll want to do that.  I hope he just means he knew there was no reason to move the guy out, not that there's actually a gameplay mechanic to prevent you from walking into a killing field.

The abilities and bonuses seem both intuitive but a little too gamey to me.  Like the circumstantial bonuses and individual perks will be so important, combat becomes less a tactical wargame and more of a works/doesn't-work puzzle.  Remains to be seen.  Also, "Damn Good Cover"?  It couldn't just be "Good Cover", they had to throw in some (extremely minor) profanity?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 26, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »

Of course, I did have a problem with everyone being overweight or near weight capacity, and I'm not sure if that slowed their reactions at all. Most of the others I shot myself rather than reaction fire taking care of them.

It does explain why you got little reaction fire.  Chance of  reaction fire is a function of current TU's, and encumbered agents have fewer TU's.

Can't explain the prox grenade duds, in my experience its pretty rare for Sectoids and Floaters to survive those!  There's a bug/feature though with proximity grenades and doors; that the alien can proximity-detonate the outside grenade while next to the grenade square but just inside the door (before he opens it), with the door taking the blast.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:19:17 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:12 pm »

Hum. I gota say. Even if this game does not turn out to be X-com: The awesome remake, it is starting to look totally worthy on it's own right.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 26, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »

The "Heavy is locked down" by gunfire part has me worried.  Sure, it makes sense that a guy should never charge out into where he could be shot, but X-COM is X-COM and sometimes you'll want to do that.  I hope he just means he knew there was no reason to move the guy out, not that there's actually a gameplay mechanic to prevent you from walking into a killing field.

The abilities and bonuses seem both intuitive but a little too gamey to me.  Like the circumstantial bonuses and individual perks will be so important, combat becomes less a tactical wargame and more of a works/doesn't-work puzzle.  Remains to be seen.  Also, "Damn Good Cover"?  It couldn't just be "Good Cover", they had to throw in some (extremely minor) profanity?

It was Damn Good Ground, I guess to stress that the perk further improves the benefits of elevation.  It's not just good ground, it's damn good ground.
Shoes...

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #694 on: January 26, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

They took out muton fairly easily with what looks like conventional weapons, which is a little worrying. Then again as a demonstration it might not be representative of final gameplay. One thing that won't change is the abilities, and that still worries me. Ignoring that it's called a skeleton suit, which is a horrible name for a grapple suit, it was mentioned as a sniper ability earlier, so presumably you can't give it to someone else if you think they could use it well. It's fine in many games, but I'm not sure that is suitable for X-COM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 26, 2012, 03:47:32 pm »

If I'm choosing between specialized classes and "6 heavy plasma, 2 blaster launcher, 4 rookies with stun rods and grenades" I'll pick specialized classes every day.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

From what they said, it sounds like they kept him under cover to avoid the risk of losing an agent, rather than because firing from cover would have been impossible.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »

I read about the specialized classes and how their specialization was hidden until they level up the first time, and thought "but that means I'll have only a 25% chance of getting the specialization I want! I'll have to repeatedly replace people in the squad to get 3 or 4 of the same specialization!"

(Not to mention that I never used snipers in XCom, not that there were sniper rifles... pointless thought is pointless)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 26, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »

I read about the specialized classes and how their specialization was hidden until they level up the first time

VC with aliens. I'm still standing behind that claim.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 26, 2012, 04:01:16 pm »

The real question is whether we should be more excited about Firaxis' vision than X@COM.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:52 pm »

Personally, I'm most excited about Xenonauts. But damn, I really did enjoy VC, so I'm excited about this comingling of the two an awful lot as well.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:30 pm »

It was Damn Good Ground, I guess to stress that the perk further improves the benefits of elevation.  It's not just good ground, it's damn good ground.

I really hope that they'll change that, and that was just something the devs put in for giggles in internal gameplay. It's...really juvenile.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 26, 2012, 09:43:06 pm »

This looks awesome, I was actually thinking about how a remake of this would work out a couple of months back.

In anticipation of this game I have decided to play through UFO:EU again.  Or maybe for the first time, I haven't ever done very much in it really.

Lo and behold on the 15th of february the last 4 xcom operatives died to little effect in defence of the HQ.  So on to attempt 2 I guess...

I have missed playing this without realising it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »

I really hope that they'll change that, and that was just something the devs put in for giggles in internal gameplay. It's...really juvenile.

Well, then - I guess I'm juvenile. I like it.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 26, 2012, 10:47:53 pm »

I just hope they can make it as tense as the first game is at times.  I just had to clear a landed battleship with a ragtag bunch of peeps as the reinforcements I bought haven't arrived yet.

Started the mission with 10 men with a mix of personal and power armour.  Ended the mission with 4 dead, 2 unconscious, 2 under constand psi attack, 1 guy with terrible morale and a single lone guy who was combat able.  The dude was with somene else clearing the ship when he killed his buddy whom was under mind control because I couldn't see what it was at the top of the lift and couldn't take any chances.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 625