Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:16:50 am 
Started by Spoogy - Last post by aradar
LOL you may read that losing is fun here and there, but it's no secret winning is fun too, some times very fun. 

Though winning in dwarf fortress can be a little different sometimes.

Managing dwarven moods in vanilla can be a little difficult, few tips to help with moods, build fancy things like wood screw pumps, wind mills even if your not going to use them cause dwarfs love looking at them LOL, engrave everything, build water fall machines, dwarfs love waterfalls.  Save some precious metal to plate floors with plating a floor is I think the easiest way to jack room value way up...

on: Today at 08:07:12 am 
Started by JasonMel - Last post by Mungrul
I used to be obsessed with robbing the wagon a few versions back, and would always build the depot in a floodgate accessible sealed room. Once the traders were in, I'd drop the floodgates and flood the room, drowning the traders, after which I'd nick all of their stuff.

Ahhhhh, memories.

on: Today at 07:58:49 am 
Started by tnuhnivad - Last post by tnuhnivad
Hello, Dorfs,

I enjoy 47.05 and I enjoy playing with TWBT's multi level view in ASCII. Unfortunately, using TWBT causes occasional crashes seemingly randomly. Sometimes I get multiple crashes in a single play session and sometimes I get none at all. Despite this, this is my preferred way to play DF. I've been trying to narrow down what exact settings on my PC cause such conflicts with TWBT but I haven't reached any definitive conclusions.

So, what I'd like to do is have DFHack call the quick save .lua script in fortress mode via OnMapLoad.init every 10 mins while I play and tweak various PC settings overtime. That way, I'm never at a major time loss if I do experience a CTD. I am aware of the games auto save feature however, the most frequent option is seasonal which is to infrequent in this case. I also play with a changing seasonal colors script and my favorite moments of game play occur during seasonal transitions - absolutely gorgeous - which the auto save set at seasonal interrupts.

I unfortunately have no experience coding or creating .lua scripts for DF, even simple ones that merely reference other scripts. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help me out with this or point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

on: Today at 07:58:08 am 
Started by JasonMel - Last post by aradar
You could also place some doors adjacent to a drawbridge for the trolls to smash through if space isn't a critical issue at the entrance.
*when building destroyers get fixed

I'm playing on the steam beta version and I can tell you that when Invaders come lock doors sometimes are the not enough,  had a large group of night creatures appear on the map one time they were relentless destroying every door and every wall that they could that they could destroy they were super strong too damn near invincible legendary fighters every one of them, by miracle I eventually built so many walls and blocked myself in that they got tired after about  year and left.  Best part about these these idiots was they wanted to kill me really bad but they didn't want to kill anything else on the map.  They just stayed in a small group about 50 tiles up from my my fort just sitting there in the woods goofing around waiting for me to open the door.

on: Today at 07:25:03 am 
Started by mifki - Last post by tnuhnivad
From what I remember, GFPS actually can't drop below FPS, due to how they are synchronized (although the number displayed in the FPS counter is calculated differently and smoothed, so you might sometimes see cases where GFPS is 1 above FPS, for instance).

Anyway, it's good to know that low FPS could be a cause of this. I think a more robust fix would be to detect viewscreen changes with an onStateChange event handler (watching for SC_VIEWSCREEN_CHANGED), because it wouldn't require changing keybindings or using external utilities. Something like this might work, if I'm understanding the issue correctly (it assumes the issue occurs when switching back to the fortress mode screen):
Code: [Select]
dfhack.onStateChange.twbt_rerender = function(event)
    if event == SC_VIEWSCREEN_CHANGED and df.viewscreen_dwarfmodest:is_instance(dfhack.gui.getCurViewscreen()) then
        dfhack.timeout(5, 'frames', function()
            dfhack.screen.zoom(df.zoom_commands.zoom_resetgrid)
        end)
    end
end
Copy the script lethosor wrote above into a lua file, I called it install-twbt-refresh.lua
Save to hack\scripts\install-twbt-refresh.lua
Open dfhack-config\init\onMapLoad.init
Add one line at the bottom
install-twbt-refresh
exit & save

Thank you so much, blitz4, for the explanation on implementing the code into a .lua! My apologies, sometimes the code talk goes right over my dome piece. I didn't realize that is what I needed to do with the code provided by lethosor. I actually decreased the frame delay to 1 frame and it feels perfect. This solved the black screening while using TWBT multi lvl view and returning to the world overview which drove me absolutely mad for the longest time!

on: Today at 07:15:52 am 
Started by smjjames - Last post by McTraveller
Democracy works ok when the people are educated. If not, well...
What does being educated have to do with being unselfish?  The problem isn't lack of education... in fact, the most oppressive are generally highly educated relative to the masses.

on: Today at 07:00:30 am 
Started by McTraveller - Last post by McTraveller
The government can't legally forgive loans from OTHER PEOPLE, unless it, well, pays them back with taxpayer money

Ah I should clarify: I meant that I didn't realize that so much of the total student loan balance was federal, meaning I didn't think that there would be that much of a burden on "the taxpayer" in the first place.  But something like 92-93% of all student loans are federal, apparently.  I didn't mean to suggest that the government was redeeming private loans.

on: Today at 06:56:48 am 
Started by a1s - Last post by a1s
If Oakrose905 doesn't post by tomorrow evening (EU time) I will skip them.

on: Today at 06:52:40 am 
Started by evictedSaint - Last post by a1s
ACTACTACT:
Amend bid to: 1 favor, 50^, and 2 armies on the Planetary auction.

Spoiler: House Ayes (click to show/hide)

on: Today at 06:28:35 am 
Started by tnuhnivad - Last post by tnuhnivad
Yes, you can customize that in d_init.txt:
This controls the display of areas that are far below outside.  The format is SKY:<character>:<foreground color>:<background color>:<brightness>.  The <character> can be either an ASCII tile number or a character in quotes, like '#'.

[SKY:178:3:0:0]

Ah yes, thank you, sir. I very much enjoy a [SKY:178:0:0:0] ATM. I have a vague understanding of what these values due from the description here and some trial and error but, is there some other more in depth documentation for editing these values specifically that you may know of?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10