Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278]

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 815693 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4155 on: April 19, 2024, 11:10:56 pm »

That's. Not how engines work.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4156 on: April 21, 2024, 03:07:59 pm »

That's. Not how engines work.
Nah mate you just press the upgrade button on the engine. It's next to the 'implement multiplayer' button and the 'make multithreaded' button. Underneath the 'fix all bugs' lever.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4157 on: April 22, 2024, 02:05:55 am »

Think RimWorld is a Unity game and it would be a chance to migrate to using DOTs if they stuck with Unity, which has more optimization and multithreading oppurtunities than classic GameObjects did.

But if there's no fundemental architectural improvements you can make that increase performance, a fresh start only really lets you throw away bad decisions you made that you still have to keep working for backwards compatibility (and instead make a new set of bad decisions!).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: April 22, 2024, 03:16:28 am »

I imagine that RimWorld 2 is probably in development, as Rimworld is probably at risk of losing profit in the Unity pricing scheme.
It's probably why we got Cthulu goes to Rimworld over more useful DLCs like "Vehicles" or "Support for multiple colonies"

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: April 22, 2024, 10:34:00 am »

Which? The one they walked back of "You have to pay for every download"?

I mean, damage done on that front, nobody's going to use it any more. That's what you get for going with an EA CEO I guess.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: April 22, 2024, 02:39:20 pm »

Its where the market wants to move.  Charge people per use, per month, per sub.  Scrap a little (or a lottle) off of every transaction.  Apple does it with their appstore, google does it with views, honestly I dont know how EA works, but I know their general model well.

Even the 'distribute it for free then suddenly 'rug pull'' is a general strategy in the market.  The whole gig market during covid was 'become so big people rely on you'.  Reddit wanted to or did start charging for its own formerly free software.

NEways, when can we expect them to start charging microtransactions for positive events?  "Y'arr, we're the dread pirates of Muffalo!  Give us 400 smecklebucks (0.55usd) or we'll drop into your kitchens!"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 02:40:59 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: April 22, 2024, 02:40:45 pm »

Pretty sure EA has a subscription model of some description now. I think it offers discounts on games? I have zero interest in giving money to them so I haven’t looked into it.

Might be the same with Ubisoft now too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278]