Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 714579 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5565 on: September 20, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »

I would like Clinton as president. I respect her, even if I don't know particularly much specific politicsly about her I guess. Still, as far as I know, she also carries a good reputation abroad as well.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5566 on: September 20, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »

I thought both Hunstman and Johnson were decent.

I would agree that of all the people to run in the republican primary they showed the most promise.

Huntsman was a "moderate" republic, who may or may not have been open to compromise. At the time he appeared less right wing than the other candidates, but who knows what he would have transformed into for the later part of the election. In 208 as I recall McCain started out as something of a maverick and then veered far right towards the end.

Johnson (who is still running on the Libertarian ticket last I saw) was a libertarian with a lot fewer skeletons in his closet than Ron Paul. I might even have voted for him, if we were not still so close to an economic depression. I agree with a lot of libertarian ideology (not counting the Ayn Rand inspired economic aspects).

I would like Clinton as president. I respect her, even if I don't know particularly much specific politicsly about her I guess. Still, as far as I know, she also carries a good reputation abroad as well.

I'm not that fond of her myself. She led a campaign to completely ban "mature" video games, despite the success of the voluntary rating system. She has had a few other gaffs as secretary of state.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: September 20, 2012, 05:25:57 pm »

She's always struck me as a bit of a nutbag. Mainly due to the aforementioned video game thing.

Doesn't she have some flip flopping gaffs in her past too? I'm forced to listen to conservative radio and I seem to recall them harping on some stuff like that years ago.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: September 20, 2012, 05:33:08 pm »

So, the Australian Treasurer just basically called the tea party republicans a 'bunch of nutjobs' who were prepared to let the country default to score a political point back at the debt limit crisis....

Does congress also get elected at this election? I'd say that the make up of it would probably be pretty important depending on who wins the presidency.
Magma is overrated.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: September 20, 2012, 05:34:58 pm »

Ah, well, there's a reason for that.  It's because they are a bunch of nutjobs who were prepared to let the country default to score a political point back at the debt limit crisis.

Does congress also get elected at this election? I'd say that the make up of it would probably be pretty important depending on who wins the presidency.

The US house of representatives stands for elections every 2 years.  The democrats have had some really great polls in the past two weeks but I'm going to restrain my optimism until the trend lasts a little longer.

The US Senate is divided into three different "classes" of 33 or 34 senators each.  Every two years there is an election for one of the classes, meaning every senator stands for election every 6 years.  The democrats had a good year back in 2006 so they are likely to lose seats just because they have so many vulnerable incumbents up for re-election this year.  But it currently seems that democrats are favorites to retain the majority and probably won't lose more then a few seats.  But it's both conceivable that they could lose the majority or gain seats given elections can be unpredictable.

I'd say that there is about a 80% chance that each party controls at least one of the three veto points, House, Senate and White House.  I'd say there's about a 10% chance of either party having control of all three.  But even then the minority party will be able to fillibuster legislation in the Senate because nobody is getting a filibuster proof majority (60% of the Senate) this year and you can take that to the bnak.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:41:44 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: September 20, 2012, 05:37:38 pm »

She's always struck me as a bit of a nutbag. Mainly due to the aforementioned video game thing.

Doesn't she have some flip flopping gaffs in her past too? I'm forced to listen to conservative radio and I seem to recall them harping on some stuff like that years ago.
She voted for the Iraq war and supported the invasion of Afghanistan and then later advocated pulling out if that is what you mean.

Other bad things she did: voted for the patriot act (twice).

She is an advocate for assault weapons bans (though a lot of democrats wouldn't find that to be a critical flaw).

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: September 20, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »

1/3 of the Senate is elected every 2 years, and all of the House is up for election every 2 years. Usually Presidential elections cause a higher turnout for the Congress races as well.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: September 20, 2012, 05:46:19 pm »

She voted for the Iraq war and supported the invasion of Afghanistan and then later advocated pulling out if that is what you mean.

Other bad things she did: voted for the patriot act (twice).

She is an advocate for assault weapons bans (though a lot of democrats wouldn't find that to be a critical flaw).
Ah, that first one sounds familiar, so that's probably it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:26 pm »

I agree with a lot of libertarian ideology (not counting the Ayn Rand inspired economic aspects).
Which is the part they push hardest.  And the part that will completely obliterate the poor.  There is simply no justification for pushing Randian ideas because they demonstrably do not work.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »

Libertarians claim to be conservatives when it comes to economics and liberals when it comes to social issues.  But they always support the social struggles of the past  or future and never the struggles of today.  So they are effectively conservatives.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: September 20, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »

Libertarians claim to be conservatives when it comes to economics and liberals when it comes to social issues.  But they always support the social struggles of the past  or future and never the struggles of today.  So they are effectively conservatives.
There you run into the labeling issue. Ron Paul is often point to as a classic example of a libertarian, even though he does not really support racial, religious or gender equality.

But I think Leafsnail hits the nail closer to the head. Many libertarians tend latch onto the Randian free market zealotry as the core of their belief and kinda handwave everything else or even actively subvert liberty by endorsing states rights over people rights.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: September 20, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »

She is an advocate for assault weapons bans .

So's Romney. He rammed through a replacement for the defunct Federal ban in Massachusetts,

I don't approve if that, and I really don't approve of her anti-game record, but the former is a legitimate point of disagreement, while the courts smashed the more serious issue flat repeatedly. Those two issues aside, I think she'd be a fine President. She did an excellent job in 1992-2000.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: September 20, 2012, 06:22:05 pm »

Romney was an advocate for an assault weapons ban. Now he's a presidential candidate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:24 pm »

Ah, well, there's a reason for that.  It's because they are a bunch of nutjobs who were prepared to let the country default to score a political point back at the debt limit crisis.

He just said it in a rather frank way, is all.
edit: link

(eg, something that a politician of one country should never say about another countries politics)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:45:45 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »

He just said it in a rather frank way, is all.
edit: link

(eg, something that a politician of one country should never say about another countries politics)
But... its true?  Its not like the US is gonna go "Roar! I raise tariffs on Australian goods now!"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 714