Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A Little Bit More Mod  (Read 11256 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
A Little Bit More Mod
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:41:06 pm »

CURRENT VERSION:
1.4e (2/24/2012) for DF34.02

I've decided to make my own mineral mod which adds new real-world minerals, reactions, and alloys.  I'll release it in batches and update this thread as I go, if popularity demands it.

This mod was started by myself in an attempt to fix a bit of the problem of mineral shortages in the new version, where pocket worlds and small worlds often had no occuring instances of some metals whatsoever, most cripplingly was iron.

I do not consider these to be game-breaking, as they either appear in small amounts, or make no major economic impact, but allow more civilizations to have access to most metals without making them abundant.  If you find this to occur differently than intended, please let me know so I can work on it.

I will be adding more ores and alloys, and possibly some fictional materials, as time goes on.

If you would like to contribute help (I could use some with glass and alloys), feel free to contribute!

Posted HERE:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3857

Read for the features/additions
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:02:56 pm by janglur »

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Bit More Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try the mod.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:46:01 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try the mod.

Thanks!

I just got annoyed with having entire worlds without iron, or coal.  So I made what you see now to adjust things a bit and it worked well.  But now, I want more!  MORE!  Just a little bit more.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:01:24 pm »

Quickly genned a very young world, only 9 years, and the civs I tested DID have access to iron anvils and such. So it seems to help them out a lot.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »

Yep.  =3  I've had no problems with iron.  I'm still having trouble locating coal, but it is showing up in most worlds.

Let me know if you have any other requests or findings

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:45:27 pm »

I approve of this mod and/or service.

This is some of the same content I included in my original MMO mod (for 40D), and which I am re-investigating as I convert the data over to DF10. Back in the old days, minerals used to be so abundant it was often hard to delve out any decent-sized room without bumping into at least a couple of veins. Toady's fixed that, but now it's gone a bit too far the other direction. My first test fortress for .19, when I did an assay, had NOTHING ON THE ENTIRE MAP but some galena and, of course, HFS. Not one single vein, cluster, or other instance of ANYTHING else. Now, that's just a bit sad. No metal makes sad dwarves!

I don't think we need to go back to the way things were, but I definitely agree that some mod adjustments need to be made now to make the game a bit more playable and fun, at least until Toady the Great One gets around to re-balancing things, again.

Rochndil, incrementing that DL counter...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »

I could use some help if anyone's good at modding, such as you sggest Rochndil.

Particularly, I am unsure exactly how to make a new metal alloy.
Ideally, it should require a bar of steel, a rock of flux, and a bar of cobalt metal, and produce Damascus Steel.  It should be slightly sharper than normal steel, but also more flexible, making it marginally less nice for armor than steel, but better for edge weapons.  It should have a light blue color (preferably not cyan if it can be helped in ANY feasible way, though).

Being slightly sharper than steel, but drastically more difficult to manufacture, it would be a tactical decision to utilize or not.

I just can't quite figure out all the tokens like shear and yield..

Any assistance is appreciated, and will be credited in the mod.  =3

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:06 pm »

Quick heads up, the "make coke from anthracite" reaction is still called "make coke from bituminous coal"
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:25:31 pm »

Quick heads up, the "make coke from anthracite" reaction is still called "make coke from bituminous coal"

Thanks for the note!  Fixing now.

Fixed!  DFFD and changelog edited appropriately.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:28:20 pm by janglur »

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:10:11 pm »

Let's take a vote!  Do you want these:

Damascus Steel (Steel/cobalt mix that is slightly sharper than normal steel, but less sturdy, making it better for weapons and worse for armors, both marginally)

Dwarven Iron (A special iron alloy, undecided content, that is almost as heavy as silver but tougher, ideal for blunt)

Heavenly Steel (A cobalt/steel/adamantine alloy that is lighter, sharper, and tougher than steel but not as good as adamantium, and thus a tactical decision as it can produce 2 bars for every bar of adamantine [and 1 steel, cobalt, flux, and coal] and a pain in the ass to make.)

Pitchblende/Uranium (Not as a direct metal, but pitchblende to be useable for producing yellow dyes and glass, or as a yellow glaze.)

Metal Dyes (of various colors and useable as glazes)

Staves (Blunt polearms of wood or metal for hippies and their friends.)

God's Eye (ULTRA valuable gems made by combining metals, silicon ore (undecided), and adamantium... for those of you who really must have the most expensive things.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:14:27 pm by janglur »

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:41:56 am »

I'd like to avoid names like Damascus, though the metal itself is the most interesting imo, the others feel a bit meh imo, and I don't think you should add staves, stick to the metals or make two different releases/mods, so people who just want your nice work on metals can get just that :).

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 08:36:01 am »

What would you propose as a different name than Damascus?

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:48:27 am »

I don't know, but direct RL references just ruins my immersion, because this didn't come from the syrian town of Damascus, maybe just Blue Steel or Cobaltite Steel/Cobalt Steel. Or be really creative, make up your own name for it :)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 08:49:46 am »

Urist Steel!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:06 am »

What would you propose as a different name than Damascus?
Patterned steel works just fine. Because it's what it is (wootz steel works too, but wootz relates to the real world too; I've decided to call it "black steel" in genesis).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3 4