Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3534048 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8040 on: December 06, 2009, 10:48:52 am »

Rule of Thumb: Don't mess with a Sheppard!
Firefly?

Mongols
Hmm...

I remembersomeone saying that on firefly...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: December 06, 2009, 11:12:19 am »

Nothing in the bible about knees...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: December 06, 2009, 12:29:33 pm »

Dragon tooth objects. Awesome! Granted, I imagine we'll have a harder time getting the raw materials for that then Toady did...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: December 06, 2009, 12:36:53 pm »

Though noncrafts would be nice to have. Did ivory/horn/teeth/etc. become options for decorations as well?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: December 06, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »

With all the new bone/horn/ivory/tooth items, are they now able to be put in bins?

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »

Back to meat for a minute...guys, the whole bonus from meat comes when you feed the animals things that you yourself cannot eat.  Eg, you can get a lot more food off dry rangeland by feeding the grass to cows and then eating the cows, since you can't get any food at all directly from the grass

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: December 06, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »

Though noncrafts would be nice to have. Did ivory/horn/teeth/etc. become options for decorations as well?
Since I think e'erything else can actually be tossed in a custom workshop...

Occurs to me that for sharktooth swords, dragontooth spears,etc. you'll already have the contact areas defined. Which is awesome. hmm...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: December 06, 2009, 01:24:43 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/crafts.png

HA! I told you guys that we should be able to make ivory crafts now :)

The image of a dragon tooth crown is just awesome, and very dwarfy.

I notice that there are no walrus tooth items, so maybe there is a size limit to what teeth can be made into stuff?

A bear tooth necklace would be cool though. I could picture the elves having them from animals that died of natural causes.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: December 06, 2009, 01:25:28 pm »

On the subject of calories and energy consumption; about a third of a human's energy every day goes into pumping Ca2+ and K+ to keep up the charge gradient along the plasma membranes. Both ions are constantly pushing back through the barrier, and must be pumped back in/out. All reactions in the body require this charge gradient, and failing to pump the ions equals death. I don't know how much energy elephants need for this, but I guess it's going to be the same amount of energy per surface area of membrane.
I don't think the average layman is going to recognize that that is in regards to nerve cells without you at least using the word neuron.
That's fine; he wasn't necessarily talking about nerves.  All live cells constantly pump ions across their membranes, and I imagine that muscles pump more ions overall than nerves.

Anyway!  Regarding the use of elephants as food - that's just disgusting.  They're intelligent animals, like whales.  It's fine in dwarf fortress, but not in the real world.  The starving parts of Africa are starving not because they don't have access to some variety of domesticated animal they could raise, but because they have not mastered agriculture; they would have no way of feeding the elephants.

Cattle and goats are much better suited because of their shorter gestation and faster growth-to-maturity, and relative docility.  Goats, especially, are better digesters than elephants and cattle.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: December 06, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »

Back to meat for a minute...guys, the whole bonus from meat comes when you feed the animals things that you yourself cannot eat.  Eg, you can get a lot more food off dry rangeland by feeding the grass to cows and then eating the cows, since you can't get any food at all directly from the grass
Thing is, most of fodder for mass produced meat is edible for humans (beet, oats, etc.). Still, humans need to eat meat to be healthy (vitamin B12 for one thing), we are omnivores and arguing whatever we should or shouldn't eat meat based on the amount of energy needed to produce the same amount of calories is pointless.

get back to topic

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: December 06, 2009, 01:34:06 pm »

Vitamin B12...  I suppose you could call DF that. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: December 06, 2009, 01:36:26 pm »

Anyway!  Regarding the use of elephants as food - that's just disgusting.  They're intelligent animals, like whales.

Intellectual elitism creeps even into our dietary choices now. :P
"Dude, that elephant just graduated from Harvard. No way you want to eat him. Here, if you're really hungry, take a bite out of that guy--he lost on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader."

And then we mass produce stupid creatures by taking intelligent ones and giving them "electroshock therapy" and "lobotomies" for their problems. And by "electroshock therapy" and "lobotomy", I mean just using tasers on their heads and randomly knifing their scalps.

Edit: I'm teasing on the idea of it, I know that morality can be linked to your dietary choices. But that's not really something cool to debate on a game forum.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: December 06, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »

The real question is:

Will Dwarves be able to wear necklaces/rings etc.... Would be grand if dwarves would spend money etc.. on necklaces and rings if they came in a material/form they enjoy

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: December 06, 2009, 01:50:20 pm »

@IronValley: The items can be worn already, actually- try it in adventure mode.  (I don't know if dwarves will though -brb- )
hammerer likes rings, and has room full of them, but is wearing gloves, and I don't think rings go o'er gloves.

I notice that there are no walrus tooth items, so maybe there is a size limit to what teeth can be made into stuff?
Ivory is nothing but mammal teeth/tusks big enough to be carved.
Tilesets

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: December 06, 2009, 01:55:44 pm »

Anyway!  Regarding the use of elephants as food - that's just disgusting.  They're intelligent animals, like whales.

Intellectual elitism creeps even into our dietary choices now. :P
"Dude, that elephant just graduated from Harvard. No way you want to eat him. Here, if you're really hungry, take a bite out of that guy--he lost on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader."

And then we mass produce stupid creatures by taking intelligent ones and giving them "electroshock therapy" and "lobotomies" for their problems. And by "electroshock therapy" and "lobotomy", I mean just using tasers on their heads and randomly knifing their scalps.

Edit: I'm teasing on the idea of it, I know that morality can be linked to your dietary choices. But that's not really something cool to debate on a game forum.
Next thing you know people will be getting squeemish about breeding mermaids to slaughter their babies for bone crafts!
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 1065