Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 299831 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #270 on: March 08, 2019, 06:42:39 am »

Looking at the store page, the game, My Time at Portia, leaves Early Access in three days, and the price will subsequently increase by 50%.
I obviously haven't checked this thread in a long while, but I get the feeling something rather strange happened to this link.  :P

That is indeed strange, since I'm pretty sure the post I meant to put that link into(which I never wrote... I think) was not anywhere near the same time I made the quoted post.

Here's the link to game. I'm guessing that right-clicking a page in the Steam store browser to copy the page URL doesn't work properly, since when I tried to paste the link here again, it pulled something else from the clipboard instead.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2019, 07:06:05 am »

Looking at the store page, the game, My Time at Portia, leaves Early Access in three days, and the price will subsequently increase by 50%.
I obviously haven't checked this thread in a long while, but I get the feeling something rather strange happened to this link.  :P

That is indeed strange, since I'm pretty sure the post I meant to put that link into(which I never wrote... I think) was not anywhere near the same time I made the quoted post.

Here's the link to game. I'm guessing that right-clicking a page in the Steam store browser to copy the page URL doesn't work properly, since when I tried to paste the link here again, it pulled something else from the clipboard instead.

Yeah, Steam really, really does not like URLs for some reason. Can't tell you how many times I've had issues with copying the wrong game or some completely unrelated other link...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2019, 09:52:32 pm »

EDIT: You'd think I'd remember the "recommend me a game" thread considering I made the bloody thing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:56:47 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2019, 11:10:58 pm »

EDIT: You'd think I'd remember the "recommend me a game" thread considering I made the bloody thing.

Nah, that line of thought istoological. I'm sorry.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2019, 07:10:25 am »

Never heard of Satisfactory before. Very interesting. Art style kind of reminds me of Subnautica, very polished, at least what we see in the trailer.

I'm somewhat concerned that although it looks very good and has a good concept, that the control scheme might be shit. Eco has this problem right now (both in terrain destruction and in placing building blocks), Subnautica had a bit of it but it was excusable because building wasn't freeform or a major aspect of the gameplay (important and extensible, but it was largely to support exploration).

Is it still possible to get into a free alpha/beta/demo etc? I'd rather not drop $30 on it just to find out I can't handle the controls.

I was in this final free test-weekend, and it plays well and is very beautiful.
I don’t fully know what you mean by ‘control scheme’. The placement of buildings is ok (and has a ‘snap to grid’ option if precise alignment is important), the placement of conveyer belts is very nice, but the option for conditional automation logic wasn’t present (at least on the 3 lowest tiers available in the free weekend).
There are already some good youtube videos that may show the controls, Blitz’s enthusiasm is always good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8S_qcsFH_c

The coolest feature I found was the automated vehicles.
I built two truck stops far apart and set one for unloading and another for loading (including fuel). Then I entered the truck and drove manually the wanted roundtrip with recording on, and then I could exit, set the truck to auto and watch it drive of and later return with the wanted cargo again and again. :-)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:07 am »

I didn't get to play near as much as I wanted. Only managed to get up to conveyor belts (or possibly the stage after that). But yeah. Plays smoothly. Looks nice. I kind of hate that, in a game all about automation, you can't really meaningfully automate anything for the first hour or two of play time.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:29 pm »

Some games from the 1990s used primitive CGI.  Some other games from the 1990s used actors doing live action video.

And there was a game called XS, which tried to do both at once and looked ridiculous.

Behold.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 12, 2019, 12:28:59 am »

I wish more games used live actors during their cutscenes. It's just an aesthetic I like for some reason. It works best if the main gameplay section is heavily abstracted, like a strategy game such as Command and Conquer.

I just found out Diablo 1 is on GOG. I already own it on CD, but maybe this means a re-release of Warcraft 1 & 2? Maybe even Lord of the Clans, the Warcraft adventure game that got cancelled?
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 12, 2019, 05:32:38 am »

Some games from the 1990s used primitive CGI.  Some other games from the 1990s used actors doing live action video.

And there was a game called XS, which tried to do both at once and looked ridiculous.

Behold.

Ghen War, which did terrain deformation long before Red Faction came along, did something similar, though I don't think it had both on screen at the same time except in the ending as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2019, 02:44:10 am »

Early in Mass Effect 2, Jacob and Miranda ask Shepard who joined the council at the end of ME1. I chose Udina in the playthrough I imported, but I changed my mind and picked Anderson when they asked. I know it's because that choice occurs after the very last opportunity to save in ME1, but for some reason my brain interpreted it as Shepard lying to them and coincidentally being right. I don't know why my brain came up with that especially dumb piece of headcanon, but there we are.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2019, 03:56:54 am »

Don't Escape: 4 Days in a Wasteland is a kind of... 'cute' pixel adventure/puzzle game (at least, by the end of the first day) by scriptwelder, which people who were active in the heyday of Flash gaming may recall the microgame 'A Small Talk at the Back of Beyond' or 'Don't Escape', which inverted the escape room craze at the time. (Or Excavate!, which I just discovered, which is pretty cool.)

It's basically a post-apocalyptic world (the moon's split in half and is looking larger every day...) and on my first day, you're looking for shelter from a an oncoming swarm of locusts with a pseudo-timer ticking down. Most actions other than walking around the local area, picking up loose items, or looking around will cost you time, and your immediate goal is to secure a shelter and not die. At the end of the day, you're effectively scored on how well you prepared... for example, if you forgot to nail down the insect netting on the windows, that'll cost you. Left the back door to the house open because you were too busy staring at the front door? Whoops.

So far, it doesn't seem too hard; I finished off the first day with about half an hour to spare, and I did a lot of unnecessary stuff on the off-chance it would be useful later on (why yes, I am going to walk back to the gas station to refill my fuel jug, just to avoid spending the pint of gas it'll take me to drive there). It has a kind of charming feel to it though, and, allegedly, the narrative is actually pretty good, and there are variations on the kind of problems you'll face. And I also kind of regret reading more in-depth reviews about. Sigh.

Give Don't Escape (above link is to Newgrounds) a shot if it sounds remotely interesting; the concept is similar. (Though DE:4 is more classic point and click adventure, not the pseudo first-person.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:10:48 am by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2019, 08:17:15 am »

Yeah, Steam really, really does not like URLs for some reason. Can't tell you how many times I've had issues with copying the wrong game or some completely unrelated other link...

I don't get what I want half of the time clicking Steam links though the Steam application.

Behold.

Is that the guy who played Edison Carter (from Max Headroom)?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2019, 08:26:47 pm »

We. the Revolution is an intriguing tossup between fascinating and frustrating, set in the French Revolution.

The art is pretty nice, if the style doesn't put you off immediately; it's very polyagonal in a way that reminds me of Out of This World, albeit with a vastly higher 'resolution'. Also has tones of This is the Police, with being dragged back and forth with decisions you don't want to make.

The gameplay gives me pause-- the first section, you're mostly dealing with court cases which involves a lot of reading dialogue and linking ideas to statements to interrogate whoever's on the stand. Except I can never seem to pass that phase cleanly. (Good thing that it's easy to reload to the start of the day, but... meh.) In the second section, there's also a layer where you're trying to build influence throughout Paris and defending your... turf. The problem here is that it largely comes down to deciding what exactly you want to do, and setting it up such that you achieve what you want with a minimum of collateral damage, which isn't particularly interesting since, for the most part, it shows you exactly what the results of a given action are (if not the first time, then subsequent times). This kind of drops it to something more like Democracy, where you're just balancing a bunch of bars and calling it good.

It feels like there's a decent chunk of historical railroading. Sure, you could pardon Marie Antoinette instead of sending her off to the guillotine as history did, but you probably can't afford the penalties involved. (I sure couldn't. Who knows, maybe the course of the game would've shifted.) And it kind of bugs me that everything's in English, despite it being, ya know, the French Revolution. It comes across to me as being in an uncomfortable place where it's attempting historical realism, and just straight up isn't.

Edit: Halfway through Act 2, some rather disturbing design decisions finally clicked: Generally speaking, you get better rewarded for executing people. Looking at my records, 21 executions and 22 acquittals, but I was only trying to balance my favor among factions... executions also give you a boost to your reputation. Also, unlike pretty much every other courtroom game out there, you're actively discouraged from fully pursuing the details of a case... asking the bare minimum to sway the jury to a decision and sentencing them is ideal.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:35:41 pm by Aoi »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 168