Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Llama and Alpaca?  (Read 2478 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Llama and Alpaca?
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:56:12 pm »

Distinguishing between a Llama and an Alpaca, to me is not needed.  Its something a city slicker coder would do, not a country bunken coder.  HA! 

They should be combined as Llama.  There shouldn't be an Alpaca pet.  It's like seperating Dog up into breeds.  The differences is small enough to be overlooked on the grand fortress management scale.  Although I do like the differences in Cats, and would never suggest getting rid of Lions and Cougars.  Big cats should definitely be separated.  There is a striking omission in marsupials in DF, ever notice that?  What must the Aussies think who play it?  Hey, where is my Kangaroo!!

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Llama and Alpaca?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:58:57 pm »

One other thing.  I dunno if the code accounts for it, but NEVER put a Llama/alpaca in a cage with a Horse.  Llama's and Horses do NOT, and I repeat do NOT get along.  The Llama will spit at Horse, and Horse will kick a Llama to death, if its larger.  They do not like one another.  Just something to consider.  Doubt the coder considered it.  *shrug*
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:59:45 pm »

There is a striking omission in marsupials in DF, ever notice that?  What must the Aussies think who play it?  Hey, where is my Kangaroo!!
Nope, couldn't care less.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »

Another oddity with Llama/alpacas is they always poop in the same exact spot, shame the code doesn't account for this 1x1 poop pile. Hah!  This is just one of the reasons why they are so very VERY expensive.  That and they eat so little and their wool is so much richer and finer than a sheeps.

Take care,
Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:07:40 pm »

What must the Aussies think who play it?  Hey, where is my Kangaroo!!
Ha.  Okay.  Is it true or false, Aussies call umbrellas, "brally"? 
usage: Why are you so wet, did you forget your brally.

Knutor

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »

Wait, one of the reasons why alpacas/lammas, is expensive is because of how they poop?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:11 pm »

What must the Aussies think who play it?  Hey, where is my Kangaroo!!
Ha.  Okay.  Is it true or false, Aussies call umbrellas, "brally"? 
usage: Why are you so wet, did you forget your brally.

Knutor
I have never in my entire life heard anyone call umbrellas "brallies", Brolly however...But you only call the big shade umbrellas brollies http://www.atolltravel.com/Indonesia/images/Sumbawa/brolley-2755-250.jpg
Nor have I ever heard anyone say "Fair dos mate" however we do say mate quite a bit.

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:20:23 pm »

One other thing.  I dunno if the code accounts for it, but NEVER put a Llama/alpaca in a cage with a Horse.  Llama's and Horses do NOT, and I repeat do NOT get along.  The Llama will spit at Horse, and Horse will kick a Llama to death, if its larger.  They do not like one another.  Just something to consider.  Doubt the coder considered it.  *shrug*
This is already in the game, sort of. All grazing animals will get into fights if they are too close to each other.

Distinguishing between a Llama and an Alpaca, to me is not needed.

The differences is small enough to be overlooked on the grand fortress management scale.
Have you looked at the RAWs? llamas are bigger than alpacas, and they eat a lot more grass. 
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 12:46:29 am »

I could see this argument about things being developed (with the logic that they are similar and the time would be better spent elsewhere) but since both are in why get rid of one just cause they are similar?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 02:29:55 am »

Ah, an O, not an A.  No wonder I couldnt' find it.  Thanks mate.  That makes sense now.  Yeah. 

I've never seen any untamed llama or untamed alpaca, yet, have you?  Be curious if they wander thru certain regions.  Because if it came to having an alpaca or an armadillo, I'd want an armadillo.  Or even a possum, playing dead.  So many other things could be more fun than this duper.  But if they never wander in untamed, there really isn't a point in complaining.

I just hope Vampire isn't treated like Dog.  There are different types of those...

Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 02:32:03 am »

Llama poop is the Cadillac of potash.  Pick up there poop, put it in a bucket.  Llama will sniff bucket, think that's where they last went, and go there again, from then on, to infinity.  You'll have a full poop bucket, without ever having to own a shovel.  That is what I'm saying.  Of course a dumb llama will poop on himself on on me, but we can't help the handicapped ones, I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:37:50 am by knutor »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:51 am »

If there has to be a consolidation of animals (which I don't think there has to be), the nine or so gibbon types may be a better target.

Llamas and alpacas do not appear in the wild in the game, since they have no associated biomes.

There is a striking omission in marsupials in DF, ever notice that?  What must the Aussies think who play it?  Hey, where is my Kangaroo!!
Several marsupials are coming into the game through last year's animal sponsorship drive. Last we heard, Toady definitely got up to squids for the next release, though he might have finished up the next twelve (up to hyena) as well. In that case, it won't be long until koalas and kangaroos.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »

Thanks for that great link to upcoming pets.  Some of those are apex predators.  I hope that label is taken into account.  They won't just kill dwarfs and they won't savage, they will kill for their meal.  Black Mamba?  Someone really wanted this game to be impossible.  That's a cold blooded killer.  Wow!

I hope some of those are verminized, like Hamster, Gecko, Crab, Moth, etc.  To name a few.

That list needs Devil Dragons and Shankopotomi.  What do you think?  That was a great idea to have that drive for new critters.  Kudos for the fella who thought that up.

There's no reason for them not to be wild.  Llama and Alpaca share the a Goat's terrain profile.  *shrug* Dunno.

Sincerely,
Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 12:44:33 pm »

I was kind of thinking the amount of underground and good/evil aligned critters is somewhat scarcely represented on that list.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »

I think of lamas a.d alpacas as very different animals.  The difference is like the difference between horses and amules donkey. Also Alpaca wool is far superior.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.
Pages: [1] 2