Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1078278 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Nothing like the brochure
« Reply #2805 on: October 20, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »

((Sorry for not giving you an action. I was waiting to see what the others were going to do.))

Survival

"I do not mind continuing on foot."

If we're going on foot, walk in the same direction as John. If we're fixing the car, help John out in any way I can.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:09:32 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:38 pm »

Crawl around until I either find something to eat, or have the biomass to grow into a rat. Whenever I become a rat, eat lots of floor vegetation, and keep growing.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2807 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:42 pm »

Campaign

Hey. Hey. You're filthy. Wash.

Giant soap bar barrage!
Irine, Campaign

"Octopi! Man-eating octopi! That's what's going on!"
"I... see... I'll see what I can do."
redirect the flame to the being with the sword, and keep it there, attempting to ignite the individual and use it as a source of additional flame
"Zech! What burned you earlier? Think I could harness it?"
Even if I don't have the range, a boulder should keep rolling along the ground utill it hits something. Using my power, sling a rock at the enemies. Tsar the sling + ammo to make it a boulder just as I let go.
And keep advancing backwards.

Campaign, Ike!

"Wow! Cool! Mindslaves! Guys! Don't murder them yet! Go for the octopuses first!"

"Also, save some power for later. I'm sure there's more octopus people around here somewhere!"

Spoiler: IkeNotes (click to show/hide)

Okay, it's time for some knife mutilation. Wait a bit and dodge any horrendous overshoots first, letting my teammates try their luck first, then perform knife mutilation on octopodes enslaving these fellows. Perhaps we can get some captives!
Nikolai attempts to shoot a boulder with his slingshot by tsaring it at just the right time. He devotes all of his concentration in making this a good throw. After all, if one of his teammates gets caught in the way of this boulder, it's not going to end well for them. In fact he focuses so much on making this the best throw possible, he kinda forgets to tsar the sling. He hastily adds some energy to it as the rock is released, but the effect on the rock isn't that great. Still, his aim is dead on, hitting one of the creatures wrapped around the Sword wielder right at its central part. The swordsman staggers, the creature's limbs go limp and it falls to the ground. That done, Nikolai keeps using semantics to avoid getting shot by commissars.

Irene follows this up with a fire attack directed to the swordsman, engulfing him in fire. The last creature on him, already hurt by her previous attack, releases him and tries to run away, but Irene keeps her fires on it, keeping them focused on its centre of mass until it stops moving.

The moment the creature leaves him, the swordsman falls to the ground, unmoving. With the creatures no longer obscuring his features, he looks like someone that has been long dead, his hair gone, his skin dark and stretched, so thin you can see the outline of his bones. He appears to have had been wearing some sort of breastplate with faulds at some time, but now it has been pressed and bent so much it has become part of his body, crushing part of his ribcage. Below it, he's wearing a simple shirt and pants. The red cloth they are made of shows no signs of wear, beyond the fact that it is now on fire, along with part of the rest of the corpse. A sheath for his sword hangs from his leather belt.

Alan sends a single, somewhat large bar of soap towards the general direction of their enemies. It hits one of the burnt creatures left over by Irene's initial attack, expediting its demise.
Octopus recently took a soapy death.

Meanwhile, Ike has been slowly going around the creatures, using the pillars at the edges of the corridor as cover, making sure to check his surroundings for any signs of friendly fire. Hearing that his teammates have finished doing their series of deadly attacks and that he is in no danger of being hit by any of them (until the next barrage, at least), he charges the last remaining enemy.

The octopus covered man (or woman, can't really tell with all those octopuses (or is it octopi? or octopodes?)) raises his right arm (or her right arm) and points it at Ike's general direction, his hand (or her hand) hanging limp and not really pointing at anything in particular. Ike jumps to the side, not willing to take any chances with unknown things. But to everyone watching, it looks like nothing has happened, beyond a faint red glow appearing where Ike was standing moments ago.

Ike attempts to stab the thing with his knife, hitting one of the creatures right at its heart and cutting it open until it has spilled its insides in a small flash of light. The dead creature lets go of the man (or woman) and falls to the ground. The other creature however immediately jumps at him and tries to wrap its tendrils around him. Ike easily manages to dodge and counter-attacks, slicing one of its many tentacles.

((I'll keep rolling, since it's only one almost burnt enemy left and I doubt it can manage to kill Ike.))

He slashes at the octopus but it moves backwards, managing to dodge. It once again tries to wrap its tendrils around one of Ike's arms. Ike lets it. And then he yanks the tentacle as strongly as he can, pulling the central part of the creature towards him, in range for knife mutilation. He makes several weak stabs at it that don't manage to cut too deeply, before he finally manges to strike the killing blow, letting small glowing orbs of various colours escape from within it and make their way through the ceiling.

It turns out that the humanoid Ike helped render free of octopuses is in fact a woman. A middle aged woman with medium length black hair dressed in red and purple robes, wearing a golden pendant. She doesn't look as dead as the swordsman. For one, her skin isn't as pale. In fact, it looks slightly red. Although she is laying on the ground as limp and unmoving as him, so the skin colour might be a result of having recently been covered in fire.

((I'll advance time and have River come meet you next turn, unless there's something terribly important that comes up during that time.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:10 pm »

"That woman needs assistance!

Of the drugs kind!"

Summon painkillers - Tylenol or something like that - and administer a dose or twelve to her. Whatever the helpful label says.

Also shoot some newspapers and duct tape at Nikolai.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:27:26 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: October 20, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »

Nikolai, Campaign
"Help please? My leg is broken."
Step 1: Splint my leg with the newspaper and tape. Keep any extra tape.
Step 2: Try to obtain painkillers.
Step 3: Go loot the breastplate and the sword and scabbard. Also check his pockets for anything worth taking.
Step 4: Go loot that golden pendant, it might be magic. Also check her pockets for usable stuff.
Step 5: Cauterize the ends of those tentacles in my bag, so they stop leaking everywhere.
Step 6: Bash the breastplate with a rock until it is wearable.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:43:53 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: October 20, 2014, 03:26:53 pm »

Oh. Here, I'll help.

Action edited.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: October 20, 2014, 03:58:57 pm »

survival

Stick with the group
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »

"It... it was like a flash of light. Something very intense and hot. You've already seen my burns. I would strongly advise against going back there unless you have some kind of blast shield."

He watched as the rest of the team attacked the new humanoids, himself preparing his focus again in case he needed to draw up a quick defense.

After they were done fighting, he went up to check the humanoids.

"Let's try to aid them. We'll need to find out what those yellow octopi are, but for now let's see if we can help these two out"

I wonder if those octopi are some form of Shadow... their yellow color seems to suggest otherwise, but then again, this is an entirely different multiverse. Maybe Shadows appear differently here.

I'll definitely have to see if that is true. If so, this is a battlefield that I'm familiar with already.

Check the humanoids and determine if they're still alive or not. If at least one of them is, go ahead and see if I can provide some basic treatment with what I have. If not, go ahead and collect the weapons and stow them away for now. Also, examine the tentancles and the octopi - carefully. What can I ascertain from them?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: October 20, 2014, 04:48:41 pm »

Survival

"Right.  Let's keep moving."

Get away from the building; is there any indication of the correct path?  If not, move away from public view.

Try to summon a leg brace as I go.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:47:13 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:16 pm »

Stay put, and keep gun at ready
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:14 am »

Irine, Campaign

I gather all the remaining flames into an elevated sphere, leaving it up over our heads where it is available but not dangerous to anyone.
"It... it was like a flash of light. Something very intense and hot. You've already seen my burns. I would strongly advise against going back there unless you have some kind of blast shield."

He watched as the rest of the team attacked the new humanoids, himself preparing his focus again in case he needed to draw up a quick defense.

"Let's try to aid them. We'll need to find out what those yellow octopi are, but for now let's see if we can help these two out"
"Ok..."
I move forward to the female and check for a pulse

If I find a pulse:
"She's alive!"
I immediately run back to the room with the rods and grab my pack whilst yelling at River and Theri.
"Near-death unknown female in main room! Was possessed by yellow creatures!"
before running out again without waiting for a response.
back in the main room I run over near the female and upend my pack on the ground to the side, not wasting time digging through it. then grab my spare clothes as makeshift blankets and begin treating her for shock.
Once River / Theri come into the room, I give them a more full explanation.

If I don't find a pulse:
"I think she's dead."
look over her pendant before picking it up and turning to face Zech, inspecting his burns and making sure he's going to be ok.
Once River shows up, go over to him and show him the pendant, explaining to him what happened here as best as I can before asking:
"Do you recognize this? I found it on her" as I point to indicate the female body
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:00:11 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:05 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"That settles it! I need an axe!"

Compare the yellow land octopus, invisible yellow land octopus and mind-controlling yellow land octopus anatomically, based on my general knowledge of their internal components attained by repeated knife mutilation and part handling.

Also, check what's happening outside. There still octopus-dominated people around, or did they disappear entirely?
« Reply #2817 on: October 21, 2014, 04:12:40 pm »

Observe the gang for an minute then sneak away from the gang.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2818 on: October 22, 2014, 06:05:35 am »

Survival

((Sorry for not giving you an action. I was waiting to see what the others were going to do.))

Survival

"I do not mind continuing on foot."

If we're going on foot, walk in the same direction as John. If we're fixing the car, help John out in any way I can.
survival

Stick with the group
Survival

"Right.  Let's keep moving."

Get away from the building; is there any indication of the correct path?  If not, move away from public view.

Try to summon a leg brace as I go.

Small pieces of iron appear, joining themselves together around your leg to form a structure to keep your leg rigid and protected. Many small wheels appear under it to allow you to move the heavy thing around.
This will take some getting used to, but at least you can walk around on your own now.

As for the correct path, beyond getting away from here, you have no idea where you have to go.
Since the obvious quest info giver mysterious stranger who helped you is probably a pile of ash by now, perhaps you could gain some info from some other source. Or you could just start running and hope things will work out in the end.

Stay put, and keep gun at ready.
Observe the gang for a minute and then sneak away from the gang.

The team hides as best as they can, watching the armed men in the distance. The men keep looking towards them. One of them talks to another, pointing at the Gallery. He then turns around and returns to his car, the others following him. The two cars start driving towards you, slowly. You are still not sure about whether or not they've seen you.

Crawl around until I either find something to eat, or have the biomass to grow into a rat. Whenever I become a rat, eat lots of floor vegetation, and keep growing.
You crawl forward until you find something. It's dark down here in the sewers, the only light coming from the hole some distance behind you.
After a bit of walking, you find a rat. In fact, you find a bunch of rats. An entire swarm of large black rats with red eyes, their long tails waving behind them. And they are all running towards you as fast as they can. You cannot see them all, but you can hear them, the clicking of their teeth and their squeals as they jostle each other around in their mini stampede.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2819 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:53 am »

Campaign

"That woman needs assistance!

Of the drugs kind!"

Summon painkillers - Tylenol or something like that - and administer a dose or twelve to her. Whatever the helpful label says.

Also shoot some newspapers and duct tape at Nikolai.

You summon a small glass jar filled with tiny white spheres that glow with a faint yellow light.
Hmmm... No label... Guess you're going to have to use your medical knowledge!
You open the jar, empty its contents in your hand and shove it down the woman's throat. There! Good as new!
Aaahhh, this brings back memories of your days as a surgeon...

Well, no time to reminisce, there are more lives that need saving!
Like this man! This man clearly needs your medical expertise!
Oh. Here, I'll help.
Hmmm... This is clearly a case of brokenboneitis. And there is only one way to make that better. A highly concentrated dose of Alan's adhesionification actualiser! That will keep his bones from flying away.
A few seconds later, the man's brokenboneitis is cured. Or at least it isn't visible anymore, because the man is buried under large amounts of sticky tape. But you don't bother yourself with such technicalities! You focus on the important things! You save lives!

Nikolai, Campaign
Step 1: Splint my leg with the newspaper and tape. Keep any extra tape.
Step 2: Try to obtain painkillers.
Step 3: Go loot the breastplate and the sword and scabbard. Also check his pockets for anything worth taking.
Step 4: Go loot that golden pendant, it might be magic. Also check her pockets for usable stuff.
Step 5: Cauterize the ends of those tentacles in my bag, so they stop leaking everywhere.
Step 6: Bash the breastplate with a rock until it is wearable.

Well, your leg is sort-of splinted now. Along with the rest of your body.

With some effort, wiggling and slight tearing of your clothes, you finally manage to free yourself from the sticky grip of Alan's "help".

That done, you half-crawl half-hobble to the now burning man and loot his sword and sheath. It looks like a gladius. Its quality is very good, although it appears as if it has either been misused or not maintained properly for a while, since its edges have become slightly blunt and dented, one more so than the other. You can also see traces of somewhat fresh blood on it.

The breastplate is a bit harder to remove from the body, mostly because it has been partially crushed and bent into it and said body is now on fire. Still, with some effort, you manage to remove it and avoid getting burnt in the process. The straps keeping it in place are missing, so that makes removing it slightly easier.

Finally, you stick the tentacles at the end of your newly acquired sword and hold them over the burning corpse in what would be the weirder take on camp-fire activities. Hmm... Wonder if those tentacles taste like chicken...

I wonder if those octopi are some form of Shadow... their yellow color seems to suggest otherwise, but then again, this is an entirely different multiverse. Maybe Shadows appear differently here.

I'll definitely have to see if that is true. If so, this is a battlefield that I'm familiar with already.

Check the humanoids and determine if they're still alive or not. If at least one of them is, go ahead and see if I can provide some basic treatment with what I have. If not, go ahead and collect the weapons and stow them away for now. Also, examine the tentancles and the octopi - carefully. What can I ascertain from them?
You don't need more than a look to deduce that the mummified man that is currently on fire is dead or at least extremely good at playing dead. The woman... well, she's warm and her limbs are flexible, her body doesn't feel dead... Or more accurately, it doesn't feel like it has been dead a long time. But she doesn't have a pulse, she's not breathing and she is not moving. Seeing as even if there was any hope of resuscitating her, you lack the equipment to do so, I assume you are going to give up and not perform CPR in the hopes of inducing some sort of Lazarus syndrome.

See below for Ike's dissection results.

Campaign, Ike!

"That settles it! I need an axe!"

Compare the yellow land octopus, invisible yellow land octopus and mind-controlling yellow land octopus anatomically, based on my general knowledge of their internal components attained by repeated knife mutilation and part handling.

Also, check what's happening outside. There still octopus-dominated people around, or did they disappear entirely?

Well, the creatures' anatomy is the same. Just a small central part filled with organs with a large number of very thin and long but surprisingly strong tentacles sprouting out of it.

Slicing a tentacle in half, you discover that they lack muscles, which kinda begs the question of how they managed to move them in the first place. Instead, they are composed of four tubes (two large and two small) arrayed around a central part that feels and looks like very flexible cartilage. Around those tubes are very small, almost invisible clusters of black things, (some sort of organ, probably) that correspond with very small dimples on the outside. Maybe they emit something from there? Or maybe it's some sort of sensory organ? Or maybe it's used for camouflage? Or communication? Who knows. The area between the tubes and the skin of the creature feels very mushy and soft, breaking apart easily.

With careful observation, you notice that when the tendril twists, a large number of very small spikes are pushed out of its skin on the inside of the curve. You can't discern whether this is meant to inject something like microneedles or if it is just a means to grapple things and achieve better friction.
A quick inspection of the place the creature wrapped its tendrils around your arm reveals very tiny yellow needle-like things stuck in your skin, although none of them have managed to penetrate it.
An inspection of Nikolai reveals something similar. The fact that his skin has become more red around that area and has started to bruise prevented you from noticing it with casual observation, but he appears to have very tiny holes around the places the creature wrapped its tentacles around him, some of them bleeding slightly. Hopefully he won't start turning into any sort of octoman.

After that, you move to the central part of the creature. A thing of note is that it lacks any sort of visible mouth, eyes, nose, means of excretion or any of the other things you'd expect the central part of a creature to posses.

A large section of the central part of the creature is composed of two sacks, one larger, containing that yellow goo (or white with a yellowish tint in the case of the later ones) and the other containing a black substance. Each of them is connected to the tubes that compose the greater part of the creature's tendrils, the black with the smaller ones and the brighter one with the larger one. The rest of their insides are filled with organs, although you can't tell exactly what they do. They have some connections between them, but they don't reveal much. Curiously, while you can identify many organs connected to the bright tubes, none of them are (visibly) connected to the dark ones.

Their insides don't smell so good, especially the ones of the creatures you encountered earlier. Smell like rotten and oil. Now that you think about it, the earlier creatures looked far worse than the later ones. The later ones were more of a whitish yellow than pure yellow, they were slightly larger and their internal organs were in much better shape.

As for what's going on outside, a quick look shows that there is nothing out there. At least nothing that looks living. Even the remains of the creature you and Nikolai killed are gone. You wait until a lightning bolt passes overhead and lights up the surrounding area, but even then, you don't see anything. Just a dead windy rock out there.

Irine, Campaign

I gather all the remaining flames into an elevated sphere, leaving it up over our heads where it is available but not dangerous to anyone.

"Ok..."
I move forward to the female and check for a pulse
If I don't find a pulse:
"I think she's dead."
look over her pendant before picking it up and turning to face Zech, inspecting his burns and making sure he's going to be ok.
Once River shows up, go over to him and show him the pendant, explaining to him what happened here as best as I can before asking:
"Do you recognize this? I found it on her" as I point to indicate the female body
You keep your fire and the fire coming from the burning body in the small domes above the hallway, providing helpful illumination to the people there.

You make your way to the body of the woman and like Zechariah before you, you too find no pulse. You carefully remove her pendant, a golden circle with wavy lines joining each other near its top. There's nothing extraordinary about it, just a golden pendant, still warm from the woman's body heat or maybe from your fire attack.

Zech... well, it would probably be best if River healed him at this point, given that he has not bandaged his burns and yet he is helping Ike dissect those creatures, a task that is probably not very sanitary when done unprotected and with open wounds.

River comes through the northern door after a while with Their behind him and quickly makes his way towards you and the rest of the team. He looks much better than before, no longer tired, the burns on his hands healed.
You explain to him what has happened from the moment you got out of the rod room as best as you can. While you do so, he looks around inspecting his surroundings, his eyes turning black.

When you're done, you show him the pendant and ask your question. He cocks his head to the side.
"I do not know what this is."
He leans forward and downwards a bit to look at it better.
"Small imperfections in its structure. More visible on the lower part. Small cut near the bottom. Very faint magical residue in it. Constructed with mundane means. Maybe with the assistance of magic or from magical materials. Or maybe the magic was used as a sort of identifying mark. Or there was an enchantment on it that the Parasites destroyed. Drag marks spread equally around it. Probably normal wear. Meaning it is old. Unless it was inserted into a rigid slot when not worn."
After finishing his examination, his eyes return to normal and he stands up to face you again.
"That's all I can tell you about it. You should keep it. It is worth investigating. If we can not discover something about it or if it is purely decorative, then perhaps it could be used to trade. Humans tend to think gold is valuable for some reason."
He starts walking towards the woman.
"She can tell us more. More information before we decide what to do next is better."
He grabs her limp body by the neck with one hand, lifts her and starts dragging her with him towards a nearby pillar.
"Good thing she is intact."
He turns to address all of you as he hides behind the pillar with her.
"Do not look at what I am about to do."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:42:36 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 521