Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1257913 times)

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #870 on: July 02, 2011, 10:06:39 pm »

Sometimes I hate acid rain. Especially when It lasts several hours and I have schizophrenia and no Thorazine.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 02, 2011, 10:13:32 pm »

@Janet: I's more worried that you got no pants now.

Maybe I should get this game.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 02, 2011, 10:24:21 pm »

Well with that amazing find I think I need to retire this character now. As I think my Strength was bugged to 0 by Nicotine and opiate withdrawals and it never wanted to come back up. Not sure if that's a bug or not but it was really unpleasant.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »

Some things I've discovered.

Purifier can cure some of the starting negative traits. Asthmatic, Bad Back, probably a few others. They make good starting traits if you can figure out how to get some quickly.

Purifier has other good traits. Chugging it is a rather good idea at any time.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 03, 2011, 12:31:13 am »

This is quite interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 03, 2011, 12:38:58 am »

First game, I got stuck looking in a cabinet or something. Tried many keys but nothing happening, had to exit out. Not sure if it was a bug or just me not knowing enough keys. I think I need to screenshot the key controls.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 03, 2011, 12:44:02 am »

First game, I got stuck looking in a cabinet or something. Tried many keys but nothing happening, had to exit out. Not sure if it was a bug or just me not knowing enough keys. I think I need to screenshot the key controls.
Hit SHIFT+/ then 1. Gives you key mapping.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 03, 2011, 12:53:57 am »

I was bored and a zombie nearby dropped a lighter.

Cue me moving over 3 steps and applying it to a Gas Pump.

WHOOOO! That was AWESOME. I'm gonna blow up more gas stations from now on. Can you do it from a distance?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 03, 2011, 12:54:47 am »

I was bored and a zombie nearby dropped a lighter.

Cue me moving over 3 steps and applying it to a Gas Pump.

WHOOOO! That was AWESOME. I'm gonna blow up more gas stations from now on. Can you do it from a distance?
I suppose if you make a trail of gasoline or flammable objects then light it on fire.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 03, 2011, 12:58:21 am »

apparently i get a bonus to dodge by encumbering my legs with 2 cargo pants... wat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was a bug resulting from my updating of the way encumbrance data is displayed; it did not actually grant a bonus.  Fixed now.

For those of us that eat batteries to power our bionics, would it be possible to allow us to "eat" our UPS for power. Not actually eating it of course, thus not destroying it, but instead draining it of the energy charged inside until it either runs dry or our power is filled up. I know we can just unload the UPS and eat the batteries that way, but it would make it a nice feature to be able to use them straight through the UPS instead of doing things in the roundabout manner. (Plus, you unload ALL the batteries at once, and if your inventory space is tight it means your batteries will end up on the floor as well)

I'll consider it (for all battery-powered devices, not just UPSs), but I kind of like the fact that it takes longer to eat all those batteries.

Fire is kinda crazy.  I lit a sandwich wrapper on fire, and it turned into a couple tiles worth of fire, and since pouring water just pours in on the tile you're standing at, I can't put it out without burning myself.  It also doesn't appear to put out any amount of light.

I may be in trouble here, but that's my own fault.

Fire extinguishers are quite capable of putting out small fires.

Aren't the Zombie Hulks a bit much? I've died twice to these things so far, and I really don't see any way I could have survived the encounters. The one that killed my last character survived a molotov cocktail, nine shots from a SKS (1 firearms, 5 rifle), and a couple blows from the butt of the SKS. This would all seem reasonable to me if they weren't faster than I was at 110% speed with Fleet Footed. At the moment it seems like these guys are instant and uncontrollable death as soon as they spot you, and their LOS appears to be at least as much as the player's at 8 perception.

They are rather tough.  Use terrain to your advantage, it slows hulks down considerably.  Multiple molotovs help greatly, as do automatic weapons (e.g. assault rifles)--they will take several hits from highly-damaging ammo.  Hopefully by the time they show up you'll have the skills and equipment to take one down.

Some of the recent spoilers also reminded me I had some questions about mutation mechanics...

I love the Android trait, but hate how random it is. Sometimes, you get solar cells and a finger laser, other times a toolkit and aim assistance, still others a pair of platings that massively decrease your dex. Would be nice if you could pick the starting ones, even if it cost an extra point.

I agree whole-heartedly--it's a breeding ground for start-scumming, which basically goes against a lot of my design principles.  I will be removing it entirely soon, and introducing "jobs"--what you were before the apocalypse.  Some of these will include static (non-random) bionics.

Where do labs show up? Outside cities in fields and forests?

What I'd like to see from implants is more stat based ones instead of some special powered ones.
Like artificial heart for +2 strenght and +1 dex.
maybe synthetic brain cells? +3 int? something like this.

Good idea, I'll add those and others.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 03, 2011, 01:15:19 am »

Fire is kinda crazy.  I lit a sandwich wrapper on fire, and it turned into a couple tiles worth of fire, and since pouring water just pours in on the tile you're standing at, I can't put it out without burning myself.  It also doesn't appear to put out any amount of light.

I still think it'd be nice to be able to pour liquids on a tile other than the one you're standing on.  Has other applications, like dumping a bucket of acid or something.

I will be removing it entirely soon, and introducing "jobs"--what you were before the apocalypse.  Some of these will include static (non-random) bionics.

Please oh please leave the Custom Character option at least.  Or at least elaborate on what you mean by "jobs" and how much of a character they'll effect.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 03, 2011, 01:18:17 am »

Aren't the Zombie Hulks a bit much? I've died twice to these things so far, and I really don't see any way I could have survived the encounters. The one that killed my last character survived a molotov cocktail, nine shots from a SKS (1 firearms, 5 rifle), and a couple blows from the butt of the SKS. This would all seem reasonable to me if they weren't faster than I was at 110% speed with Fleet Footed. At the moment it seems like these guys are instant and uncontrollable death as soon as they spot you, and their LOS appears to be at least as much as the player's at 8 perception.

They are rather tough.  Use terrain to your advantage, it slows hulks down considerably.  Multiple molotovs help greatly, as do automatic weapons (e.g. assault rifles)--they will take several hits from highly-damaging ammo.  Hopefully by the time they show up you'll have the skills and equipment to take one down.

Are they supposed to be showing up on the second day?

I guess I'll try to get more molotovs as quickly as possible on my next character. This game is pretty awesome so far, keep up the good work!

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 03, 2011, 01:18:29 am »

I still think it'd be nice to be able to pour liquids on a tile other than the one you're standing on.  Has other applications, like dumping a bucket of acid or something.

I will be removing it entirely soon, and introducing "jobs"--what you were before the apocalypse.  Some of these will include static (non-random) bionics.

Please oh please leave the Custom Character option at least.  Or at least elaborate on what you mean by "jobs" and how much of a character they'll effect.

I think It will go like, you choose your job first then customize
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 03, 2011, 01:22:44 am »

Well, I played my first game, and it was certainly an interesting experience. Unfortunately, my inexperiance caused me to still mostly waste the 30 minute grace period, even though I knew about it. Zombies proceded to swarm my starting location, killed my dog, and forced me out. After running away from the city, I discovered what appearned to be the remains of some soldiers. From this I was able to get an M1A1, although it had no ammunition. I managed to find an ID card and get inside a science building I found, wherein I found a bottle of mutagen and a bottle of purifier. Having learned my lessons many times over from other roguelikes, I drank neither. Had to wait out some acid rain in there for several hours, and left to try and return to the city.

That....did not really work out. Killed by a fast zombie. I really wish I had found some ammunition for that gun, as it was the only viable weapon I ever came across.

Needless to say, this game is amazing and I shall be spending many hours on it in the near future.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 03, 2011, 01:23:57 am »

If we have jobs, can we have a "Classic" job for nostalgia that just gives you the sneakers jeans and t-shirt? Just seems like a nice little throwback for when things move ahead.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 777