Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1257915 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2085 on: July 19, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »

What's in science labs? I've been playing a while, but I've never managed to get in one
Science labs can contain a variety of items like Lazer Guns, and other high-tech stuff. But the main reason (In my opinion) is for the Purifier and the Mutagen. Purifier takes away and bad traits from you, but along with any mutations. Even the good ones. Mutagen has a high chance of giving you a bad mutation, unless you have the Robust Genetics trait.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:10 pm »

I just LOVE how many items there are, though I'm a jack-of-all-trades type and I hate not being able to do a bit of everything(weight/volume limits...). The lack of volume/weight allowance in the beginning sucks, though I eventually find cargo pants and a jacket, maybe a bag.
Make a beesline to your nearest clothing shop and "buy" a backpack. That's what I always do.

How do I mix bleach and ammonia to make poisonous gas a-la-nazi-death-camp? It says you can do it, but how?
Try wielding each and unloading the bottles (shift-u). I haven't tried it yet, so do post the results.

Also, can I ask in what language is this coded? I'd loved to get into modding this, so much potencial!
C++.
Whales has a very clean code, so you can mod stuff with zero programming skill.

FAKEEDIT: Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. Gah.

What's in science labs? I've been playing a while, but I've never managed to get in one
Science labs can contain a variety of items like Lazer Guns, and other high-tech stuff. But the main reason (In my opinion) is for the Purifier and the Mutagen. Purifier takes away and bad traits from you, but along with any mutations. Even the good ones. Mutagen has a high chance of giving you a bad mutation, unless you have the Robust Genetics trait.
Purifier also adds +1 to a random stat if there's nothing to purify.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 19, 2011, 06:37:22 pm »

I just LOVE how many items there are, though I'm a jack-of-all-trades type and I hate not being able to do a bit of everything(weight/volume limits...). The lack of volume/weight allowance in the beginning sucks, though I eventually find cargo pants and a jacket, maybe a bag.
Make a beesline to your nearest clothing shop and "buy" a backpack. That's what I always do.

How do I mix bleach and ammonia to make poisonous gas a-la-nazi-death-camp? It says you can do it, but how?
Try wielding each and unloading the bottles (shift-u). I haven't tried it yet, so do post the results.

Also, can I ask in what language is this coded? I'd loved to get into modding this, so much potencial!
C++.

FAKEEDIT: Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. Gah.
Can you perhaps post a guide telling us basic way's to mod things in?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:13 pm »

Can you perhaps post a guide telling us basic way's to mod things in?
Will try to. This will take a while, as there's a lot to cover, so I welcome anyone to try to explain a bit as well.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 19, 2011, 06:42:17 pm »

I'd recommend just reading up a bit on C++. I did minimal reading and could understand the code on a simple level. There are a few potentially confusing terms that are used, but no super in-depth knowledge of things is needed.

After that it's just figuring out Whales' implementation.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 19, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »

I'd recommend just reading up a bit on C++. I did minimal reading and could understand the code on a simple level. There are a few potentially confusing terms that are used, but no super in-depth knowledge of things is needed.

Lets try to get a Cataclysm modding community going ;) As I'm an Insurance Broker, I am at the computer all day whenever I'm at work or at home, and I have DF+Cataclysm on my home and work computers. I've got no problem putting heavy time into coding, idea suggestion/sorting, and even running a forum if the arises. I've got experience in pretty much everything besides coding. :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »

Is all the coding done by one individual atm?
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 19, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »

Everything by Whales, one man army.

Well, and Head, who takes care of the Windows port.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 19, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »

I've got hundreds of pages of fantasy and scifi items, places, gods, my own language with its own alphabet as well, and all sorts of plot ideas as well as short stories and a pretty well-made novel series' universe, so I may as well code a damn rpg game myself or with others, as I'm too much of a perfectionist to ever actually publish my novels, due to constantly changing everything, adding new universes, gods, sub-plots, etc.

Short stories, why not puslish more of them instead of whole novels? They're great practice, you can publish them individually, ret-con ones that don't work, and extend the best into novels.

Making a game might be a good way to put it all together too though. This forum is a great place to get support for the coding.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 19, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »

Yeah. All the base coding has been done by Whales, and Head has done work to make it run easily on Window's systems.

For modding, seriously, just go to the git page and open up the various blocks of code. You can't edit it there, but you can read them easily. Start with the Map**** and Item**** files.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

I'm thinking to get into the coding side of this too, if only to track down that damn '@' bug. I'm certain it's an array bounds error or similar.

EDIT: That would be why the bug disappeared in V1.3.5 and re-appear in the subsequent version. Re-compiling the source changed the memory offsets, so the "wrong" address wasn't being over-written in V1.3.5

Need to look for an array bounds error or a pointer value error (the same thing more or less since c++ uses pointers to implement arrays).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:54:58 pm by Reelyanoob »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 19, 2011, 06:53:21 pm »

I've got hundreds of pages of fantasy and scifi items, places, gods, my own language with its own alphabet as well, and all sorts of plot ideas as well as short stories and a pretty well-made novel series' universe, so I may as well code a damn rpg game myself or with others, as I'm too much of a perfectionist to ever actually publish my novels, due to constantly changing everything, adding new universes, gods, sub-plots, etc.

Short stories, why not puslish more of them instead of whole novels? They're great practice, you can publish them individually, ret-con ones that don't work, and extend the best into novels.

Making a game might be a good way to put it all together too though. This forum is a great place to get support for the coding.

I'm also highly protective of my work, lol. As I make EVERYTHING myself, my own unique names, language, etc, I HATE seeing people steal my ideas. I've had multiple ideas stolen over the years, and it pisses me off to no end when I don't have a finished project to show for.

Since I'm a hardcore Roleplayer and I LOVE RPGs, I've always wanted to make my own RPG. Just need some people to work with. :P

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 19, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »

don't go spoiling it! I didn't find any of those, good to know though.

C++.

I do have some programming skill. Just not on C++. hmmmm

Thumbs up for the modding community!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:13 pm »

It seems all I can do from Github is propose changes, is there a way to do it from the Cataclysm game itself?
Welcome to Reality.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 19, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

Start a thread in "creative projects" about it and I'll sign up to help. I'm very good at writng c++ and debugging. I also know openGL quite well.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 777