Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 366627 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0.51 - 3D Visualizer - 31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #465 on: October 15, 2011, 07:41:50 am »

yeah, clicking the link will try to open it in the web browser.

don't do that.

save target as.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2011, 08:33:35 am »

yeah, clicking the link will try to open it in the web browser.

don't do that.

save target as.
Oh, ok, thanks. Ok, I've done that, but unfortunately it's doing the same thing as when I had copy-pasted the text (the problem I described above.

Twilitbeing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »

My computer seems to have a problem with Overseer.  It manages to connect with DF and seems to be working well, until the classic "Ogreseer.exe has stopped working" error appears and has "Close program" as the only option.  Two unusual things about this:  1) Overseer always stops on the exact same line of code for any given fortress, often something to do with water or textures; 2) Windows Help pops up a notification about Data Execution Prevention each time it happens.  I followed the directions given to unblock Ogreseer.exe, but (as far as could discern) Windows simply refused to do it.  (I'm running Vista with all updates, using DF version 31.25 with DFHack installed, Overseer seems to be compatible, etc..)

I suspect the fault lies with Windows rather than Overseer, but I've never encountered "Data Execution Prevention" before now.  Does anyone else have this problem/know what to do?

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 18, 2011, 05:00:16 am »

10:56:14: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have not been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreGpuProgramParams.cpp (line 1423)

My drivers and DirectX are freshly updated. However, I don't have a dedicated graphics card, just an inbuilt chipset. Do you think that is the problem? Or is there still some hope?   :(
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Draegur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:44 pm »

Lighting...

I don't think it needs a *real* lighting system. But something cheap like a faint linear fade-to-slightly-darker texture that could be drawn on the walls as the surface approaches an internal corner could add a few metric tons of depth to every scene. It would vaguely and cheaply simulate ambient occlusion. Look at the corner of your room--notice how the wall gets a teensy bit darker as it approaches the corner. Notice how the wall gets a teensy bit brighter as it approaches a CONVEX corner (a corner viewed from the outside).

TL;DR, Try This:

Arbitrarily Darker Innies and Lighter Outies Add TONS of Depth.
Furthermore requires no actual lighting calculation, just geometry. Which is already there.

BaronNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 26, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »

Ok, I have no idea what is wrong now. I patched DirectX and the Memory.xml and made sure it attached to DF and now all that happens is that it draws all the z-levels and gives me some warnings about fir05_30.mesh before it gets to this line:

18:03:10: D3D9 : Loading 2D Texture, image name : 'waves2.dds' with 5 mip map levels

... And then Windows shuts down the program and DF crashes. Is there anything I can fix?

Wen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2011, 05:04:20 am »

First things first - Overseer is a damn good piece of software, congrats.
And now my problem. Rooftops of my buildings resemble a sawblade because row of ramps don't form tringular prism (in other words ramps are like unwrapped Toblerone instead of wrapped one). Is there any method to fix this? There are alternative forms of ramps (surrounding dependent) - are they hardcoded or define in one of material/whatever file, which I can just edit?

Atrixium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2011, 09:05:40 pm »

Sooo, no Linux build yet? Anyone know if there is a way to run this with Wine?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 03, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »

it would be epic,if this engine is released:www.euclideon.com

I am a Goober.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 03, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

I suspect the fault lies with Windows rather than Overseer, but I've never encountered "Data Execution Prevention" before now.  Does anyone else have this problem/know what to do?

I've never encountered one of those before either. I'm not sure what might be causing it.

First things first - Overseer is a damn good piece of software, congrats.
And now my problem. Rooftops of my buildings resemble a sawblade because row of ramps don't form tringular prism (in other words ramps are like unwrapped Toblerone instead of wrapped one). Is there any method to fix this? There are alternative forms of ramps (surrounding dependent) - are they hardcoded or define in one of material/whatever file, which I can just edit?

Freestanding triangular prisms weren't one of the cases I thought of for ramps -- and they're all currently hardcoded. I don't think there's anything to do about it in this build. Sorry about that.

Sooo, no Linux build yet? Anyone know if there is a way to run this with Wine?

No go for the Linux build, the OpenGL shaders were giving us a lot of issues. Not sure how well it would work with wine.

Arbitrarily Darker Innies and Lighter Outies Add TONS of Depth.
Furthermore requires no actual lighting calculation, just geometry. Which is already there.

I'm already planning on including precalculated ambient occlusion in the next version, so hopefully this effect will already be taken care of.

10:56:14: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have not been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreGpuProgramParams.cpp (line 1423)

My drivers and DirectX are freshly updated. However, I don't have a dedicated graphics card, just an inbuilt chipset. Do you think that is the problem? Or is there still some hope?   :(

I'd guess that the chipset is probably the issue.

Ok, I have no idea what is wrong now. I patched DirectX and the Memory.xml and made sure it attached to DF and now all that happens is that it draws all the z-levels and gives me some warnings about fir05_30.mesh before it gets to this line:

18:03:10: D3D9 : Loading 2D Texture, image name : 'waves2.dds' with 5 mip map levels

... And then Windows shuts down the program and DF crashes. Is there anything I can fix?

Does anything show up in Ogre.log after that?

it would be epic,if this engine is released:www.euclideon.com

A lot of people think that engine is pretty shady, in a bad way.

Alright, since it's been three months since I've posted anything, let me bring you guys up to speed.

Where I've been: After my summer at NASA, I (temporarily) dropped out of college to accept a job at the dorfiest company ever, Moon Express. We're a Google Lunar X Prize Team with the long-term goal of mining the moon. Sending things to the moon is hard stuff, though, so I've been working long, hard hours on that, and haven't had any real time to work with DF or Overseer recently.

About the current release: The current release of Overseer is very probably going to stop working after 0.31.25. There's a lot of changes in the upcoming version of DF, and peterix has completely changed around the way DFHack works, so I'd be rather surprised if the current version will be able to be updated to the new DF.

The future of Overseer: Unfortunately due to my current workload and other stuff, I can't make any definite promises. I'm not really doing anything this weekend though so tonight I'm going to see if I can get Ogre to play nicely with the new dfhack. I've already got plans for how the next version will work (at least temporarily). Current plans are to move to a voxel-based system that uses a variant of marching cubes to generate the geometry. I'm going to focus on avoiding hardcoding things this time around (so ramp issues like Wen has will be easily amended). Also, I'm going to parallelize Linux and Windows so we don't have a long time without a Linux visualizer again. I'll just avoid using DX-specific things until we have a definite workaround.

Sorry for being a ghost, guys. I want a fully working visualizer as much as any of us. Hopefully I can get some of this stuff off the ground soon, but like I said, I can't make any definite promises. I'm going to try my damnedest though.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:03 am »

Glad to hear you're keeping yourself busy with interesting work!  I hope you end up having the time (and inclination) to keep working on Ogre; I'd love to see the result of the time you've put in so far.  Also, if you find that you're just not able to keep going on it, you might consider open sourcing the code as long as there isn't anything in there that's licensed or that you need to keep closed for other reasons.
At last, she is done.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2011, 02:51:30 am »

Well we all want a working visualizer, and your plans for the new voxel-oriented engine sound great.
But I do reckon mining out the moon is a bit more important in the grand scheme of things.

Atrixium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 05, 2011, 03:34:46 pm »

...I'm going to parallelize Linux and Windows...

That line there just made me smile, probably made my day  :D

Also, it sounds like you officially have the coolest job  :o

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 25, 2011, 10:07:00 am »

I was all excited about this tool, until...

"Size: 60.00mb"

By Armok! What the?

Anyways, you could fix this. Put the files in a .rar, don't distribute the .exe.

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 25, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »

Anyways, you could fix this. Put the files in a .rar, don't distribute the .exe.
The .exe is a self-decompressing archive.  The decompressed application is over 100MB.  I don't think it could be made much smaller than 60MB, since almost all of the space is apparently taken up by graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53