Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1843932 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1080 on: January 11, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »

Good gods yes this is going to be awesome!

With multi-species forts, will intelligent pets/non-civilized animal-men or whatever (gorlaks!) be eligible for citizenship, or will it only be possible for other already civilized species to become citizens for now?

When a creature signs on to the fortress roster, will you have them keep the ethics and values of their homeland or immediately adopt all of the customs of their adoptive country, or some average inbetween?
So, eventually we will have yaks appointed as generals and cows convicted of murder...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 11, 2015, 02:20:46 pm »

We're going to deal with any remaining issues with multi-species forts for this release

Will this release fix bug 4692?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:16 pm »

Since the next release is going to add in intellectual needs for dwarves, does that mean we can expect some sort of temple zone at some point after the tavern update?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 11, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »

We're going to deal with any remaining issues with multi-species forts for this release

Will this release fix bug 4692?
That's the idea, yes.

Since the next release is going to add in intellectual needs for dwarves, does that mean we can expect some sort of temple zone at some point after the tavern update?
Possibly as part of the start scenarios. One of those Toady plans for the start is establishing a religious site. That would be a good place to add spiritual needs and the spiritual zones and activities to fulfill them.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 11, 2015, 06:01:29 pm »

Will there be barfights with the inclusion of taverns and inns? Please say yes.

Barfights were already sorta included in 0.40.01. You can even set up the aggression level in the arena as "brawl".

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 11, 2015, 06:06:28 pm »

will we be able to listen in on the story telling and conversations? if so the story telling could be a good way to learn about your worlds history if it ever includes historical stories, and give a deeper insight into your civilization if the story being told is a legend or fairy tale.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 11, 2015, 06:18:33 pm »

will we be able to listen in on the story telling and conversations? if so the story telling could be a good way to learn about your worlds history if it ever includes historical stories, and give a deeper insight into your civilization if the story being told is a legend or fairy tale.
(Green-glowing text on a dark background isn't nearly as easy to pick out as green text.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 11, 2015, 06:40:12 pm »

"In 223 Ozboth the Baths of Killing was killed by Urist the Dwarf"

"That's terrifying"

x100
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 11, 2015, 09:56:10 pm »

"In 223 Ozboth the Baths of Killing was killed by Urist the Dwarf"

"That's terrifying"

x100
I'd expect the stories to be more like the description of an in-game book, though probably skewing toward lighter "writing" styles.  In the eventual nursery zones, we might even get children's tales.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 12, 2015, 06:34:28 am »

From DF Talk #12:
Rainseeker:   Could you perhaps listen to the story? Like with the game, you could just jump in and listen to it?
Toady:   You'd certainly be able to see what the story is about. If it's randomly generating the dude talking ... I threatened at one point to do a poetry generator, I've threatened these things, and if it comes down to it now it seems early because we haven't done the grammar rewrites and the things that I wanted to do with that stuff, so it might not happen immediately. Before I play too much with language I wanted to get through those things, but if it's just ...
[snip]
Toady:   That's right ... You should be able to see what they're about, even if it isn't giving you the blow-by-blow, and there are things it can do, like if he's retelling the story of a war, he can talk about ... you know we've got the different list of events that happened and the storyteller might highlight a particular duel from that war, just mention it or whatever ... So you'll get some information, I doubt we'll be jumping too far off the deep end on that one right now, and what else ... singing, and dancing ... what else do people do to entertain themselves? I don't know if they're going to be putting on plays...
Capntastic:   Boasting.
Toady:   Yeah, just talking all kinds of crap.
Rainseeker:   That would be kind of cool, have them lying about stuff they've done, they tell a story but it's actually a lie.
Toady:   Yeah we can finally use those personality traits, those lying skills, and their creativity. And they could make up fake stories, it's not boasting, it's just telling a funny story or whatever. So it should be cool; one of the main things of that release is just getting your dwarves in there and not just having these stand around and talk parties. There's a place for that, but not in a dwarf fortress ... and they don't even have drinks, they're just sitting there talking to each other, I guess they've all just really close friends talking about old times and doddering around or something. But not anymore.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 12, 2015, 06:49:15 am »

Hehehehe hahhahahaha.....MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This...is....going....to be.....AEWSOME
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 12, 2015, 12:23:24 pm »

yeah, in some situations it could be useful to have some auto-ignore speach (except for !noise! indicators) setting.
><
market places can be so loud.
maybe that at some point only some of the closest speakers can be understood (depending on their loudness).

The master creator is working on some very exiting stuff to be sure! :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 12, 2015, 03:40:53 pm »

hey toady!

thank you so much for all the great work. DF is definitely one of the most amazing games i've ever played!
I was wondering if and when we can expect a fix to the overlap issues between military equipment and certain jobs (miners, woodcutters). I know it's not a major issue but it is one that annoys me the most :D

I also would love to see the option to resize stockpiles and activity zones implemented in dwarf mode!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:12:37 pm by Afghani84 »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:38 pm »

Green your text, so that Toady will read. Like this :

hey toady!

thank you so much for all the great work. DF is definitely one of the most amazing games i've ever played!
I was wondering if and when we can expect a fix to the overlap issues between military equipment and certain jobs (miners, woodcutters). I know it's not a major issue but it is one that annoys me the most :D

Moreover, this is more a bug fixing thing, so I think you should post elsewhere if you want to have a chance to be heard and replied.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 12, 2015, 06:36:32 pm »

What will the stories sound like when spoken?

Because it would be hilarious if it was something like:

Urist McBard (to Urist McAudience1): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."
Urist McAudience1 (to Urist McBard): "That is terrific!"
Urist McAudience1 (to Urist McAudience2): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."
Urist McAudience2 (to Urist McAudience1): "That is terrific!"
Urist McAudience2 (to Urist McBard): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."
Urist McBard (to Urist McAudience2): "That is terrific!"
Urist McBard (to Urist McAudience1): "In a time before time, Dedak Storydwarf struck down Urist Legendaxe in the Fake Hills."

Ad infinitum, of course.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 306