OSX
- 18 (5.9%)
Linux
- 45 (14.8%)
Other
- 13 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 110

Author Topic: Armok Vision Project, on Hiatus.  (Read 500228 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Armok Vision Project, or realtime 3D dwarf fortress. 0.19.0 Release!
« Reply #1545 on: July 26, 2018, 12:41:06 pm »

Spoiler: hmm... (click to show/hide)

It's beautiful!!!

In all seriousness, this is groundbreaking work you are doing, keep it up.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:20 am »

When I run this the view is obscured by keyboard control layout. How do I get rid of this please?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 28, 2018, 11:15:38 am »

wait for it to load. It takes a while.

ScrapHeap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 05, 2018, 11:46:15 am »

Spoiler: hmm... (click to show/hide)

Looks nice,
However, I am worried that the number of polygons for each element may be too high.
With the expected zoom levels, I would say that much more blockyness could be accepted without compromising the overall look of things.

Are you planning to do separate meshes for clothing, armor, helmets etc?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 05, 2018, 09:54:53 pm »

Are you planning to do separate meshes for clothing, armor, helmets etc?
I would like to, eventually. Modeling takes time, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the polycount, yeah, I'm still unsure of the direction I want to go with the artwork. The models I have right now look okay, but they take time to do, and I have a lot to get done. However, blocky minecrafty models aren't great either, and are a bit cliche by now. I'll have to work out a compromise somewhere.

ScrapHeap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 06, 2018, 03:19:59 pm »

I would stay away from the minecraft look. However, I do think that classic low-poly modelling could look perfectly fine for a model with moving solid meshes (no flexible rigging. If you want more detail later, then use bump- and texture maps to achieve this.
You might look into the worldforge library and see if you can use / modify some assets from there:
https://svn.worldforge.org:886/svn/media/trunk/assets/dural/creatures/biped/
By now, most appears to be created in blender, which was not really available when I was active there.
Anyway: Keep them screenshots coming.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 06, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 07, 2018, 03:50:54 pm »

Okay.

Also wow, quite aside from my poking fun at Cathatman there, those look really spiffy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 08, 2018, 10:43:24 pm »

Well, that clipping gives me vertigo. Neat.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 09, 2018, 12:36:05 pm »

Okay.

Also wow, quite aside from my poking fun at Cathatman there, those look really spiffy.
"you've got quite the hairstyle and those sideburns look so hot on an old dorven lady *smirks and bows* may i invite you to a keg of plump helmet beer brewed from stale water?"
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 18, 2018, 11:29:43 am »

Aside from a few hiccups like this, I think it's looking good. To have 3D characters at all is rather impressive, especially considering the complications of showing them with custom clothing and equipment. I mean: I understand the point of having a small/short character float above a tall character in the same tile because that'd be one way that players could at least see them. But it's just too silly-looking this way.

Suggestion 1: Instead of having multiple characters in the same tile standing one on top of each other, it would probably look a lot better to have them standing close to each other in close proximity to the tile area and each other. You could, for example, have one character in the center of the tile and the rest in quadrants around the center. Or you could have positions depend on the number of characters in the tile; i.e., if there were 2 then have them stand side by side, if there were 3 have them in a triangle formation, if there were 4... etc.

Suggestion 2: Maybe have the z-coordinate of the 3D model (height) be linked with the character's broadness trait? I'm just imagining that, for example, a dwarf could be depicted has being short and broad by using almost half the z-height as, say, a human, but using nearly identical x and y (width and depth?) as a human. And a skinny, slim elf could be depicted as slim by keeping the height close to norm, but with less width and depth.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 18, 2018, 12:54:07 pm »

Suggestion 1: Instead of having multiple characters in the same tile standing one on top of each other, it would probably look a lot better to have them standing close to each other in close proximity to the tile area and each other. You could, for example, have one character in the center of the tile and the rest in quadrants around the center. Or you could have positions depend on the number of characters in the tile; i.e., if there were 2 then have them stand side by side, if there were 3 have them in a triangle formation, if there were 4... etc.
Actually, in that picture, the baby is literally riding on the shoulders of the mom. However, placement does need work to make it look more natural. Probably have the kid on the back.
Suggestion 2: Maybe have the z-coordinate of the 3D model (height) be linked with the character's broadness trait? I'm just imagining that, for example, a dwarf could be depicted has being short and broad by using almost half the z-height as, say, a human, but using nearly identical x and y (width and depth?) as a human. And a skinny, slim elf could be depicted as slim by keeping the height close to norm, but with less width and depth.
It already is. Overal body as well as individual parts both resized depending on individual traits. Height, broadness, etc.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 20, 2018, 10:22:42 am »

I made the babies positioned a bit better. Also made some clothes. Why is everybody wearing a dress.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 20, 2018, 01:13:19 pm »

i like your humor :D
i also realized, that many creatures wear a dress, no matter what sex.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 22, 2018, 03:31:11 am »

I kind of think it's more like a Byzantine dress, rather than the female-specific kind:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:34:49 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 110