I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578245 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1725 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »

Ah. I suspect the critical difference here is that I see no need to savescum in order to resurrect the fort. Does that sound about right to you?
I'm sure that's theologically correct, but it makes no sense to me. :D

...Anyway, I find it easier to understand Descan's scifi-fantasy, rather than the whole simulation-thing. My deepest conviction is that consciousness is a by-product of the substrate itself, but the pattern-simulation-approach sounds like an attempt to reproduce the by-product while discarding the thing itself – like hand-crafting a series of DF screenshots with Mspaint. Isn't the abstract, disembodied pattern rather similar to what Christians have traditionally called the "soul?" Something that magically persists after the thing is gone?   

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 08, 2015, 02:14:20 pm »

It holds the same information, but it's just not the same.
... well, the binding wouldn't be. The book itself would still be the same thing, unless your ratty old one had pages missing or somethin'.

It's not what I'd call a good comparison. Binding doesn't really have a substantiative effect on a book -- one's as good as another, generally, and incidental affectation for a particular binding is more human insanity than anything meaningful. Human body on the other hand has a very substantiative effect on how we store, process, and recall information. You take the information in one body and stick it in another and it's not going to be the same information, because the new container will literally cause the information to change.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 08, 2015, 02:14:34 pm »

I believe the actual biblical reference is "God breathed the breath of life into it (the clay form of man), and he became a living soul." Or something akin to that.

Edit:

Actual quotation from KJV genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

So, a spirit is the abstract "data" of the person, The body is the physical substrate, and the "soul" is the unity of the two, as best I have been able to determine.  More populist interpretations make "spirit" and "soul" interchangeable however.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:17:33 pm by wierd »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 08, 2015, 02:17:20 pm »

I believe the actual biblical reference is "God breathed the breath of life into it (the clay form of man), and he became a living soul." Or something akin to that.

So, a spirit is the abstract "data" of the person, The body is the physical substrate, and the "soul" is the unity of the two, as best I have been able to determine.  More populist interpretations make "spirit" and "soul" interchangeable however.
That is correct.

But "spirit" and "soul" are not the same thing. Every human has a soul, but they receive the holy spirit once they believe. (ever since Pentecost)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1729 on: April 08, 2015, 02:22:29 pm »

'Spirit' and 'Holy Spirit' aren't the same thing either. There are unholy spirits, and possibly mundane ones. Whether people have spirits is an interesting but probably entirely academic question.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 08, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »

Is a soul, iirc. From what I recall, the original interpretation saw no difference between a soul and the flesh. Soul was less some kind of odd immaterial thing than it was simple animating force, back then. Or at least the living part was. Pretty sure that's (one of) the basis(/bases) of physical reincarnation beliefs within the denominations, actually...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 08, 2015, 02:24:40 pm »

'Spirit' and 'Holy Spirit' aren't the same thing either. There are unholy spirits, and possibly mundane ones. Whether people have spirits is an interesting but probably entirely academic question.
I was referring to the spirit that is often confused with the soul. Should have clarified more.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 08, 2015, 02:25:34 pm »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:30:11 pm by penguinofhonor »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 08, 2015, 02:33:09 pm »

It holds the same information, but it's just not the same.
... well, the binding wouldn't be. The book itself would still be the same thing, unless your ratty old one had pages missing or somethin'.

It's not what I'd call a good comparison. Binding doesn't really have a substantiative effect on a book -- one's as good as another, generally, and incidental affectation for a particular binding is more human insanity than anything meaningful. Human body on the other hand has a very substantiative effect on how we store, process, and recall information. You take the information in one body and stick it in another and it's not going to be the same information, because the new container will literally cause the information to change.
I'm speaking less about the actual binding, more about sentimental value. Sure you could get a new book, but it wouldn't have the same feeling attached. You wouldn't acknowledge it as the same, though it holds the same information. Sure, you could get a new body, but....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 08, 2015, 02:34:33 pm »

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 08, 2015, 02:36:37 pm »

(Replacement of body =/= not same body thus not same feeling, thus not same)

My neighbor lady has a below knee amputation. She is the same person as before, she just now has a prosthetic leg. A sufficiently high quality prosthetic (such as a cloned organ) would feel exactly the same as the original.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 08, 2015, 02:51:05 pm »

Fine and dandy. It would most likely still be seen as a new extension, but sure, she may see it as the same. Now give her an entirely new body (and speaking in terms of a Christian afterlife, an entire change in scenery.)

The leg would not be seen as the same as the old one, IMO, but even if it were, a body is an entirely different thing. There is a sense of self associated with a whole body that is not associated with limbs.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1738 on: April 11, 2015, 01:48:22 am »

Eh. I agree with him on most of it, except that I have a massively different impression of his 'step 3'. At that point, I tend more towards thinking things like 'why am I even out shopping?' 'It would make no difference in the long run if I were to stab this cashier.' and 'In the long run, there's no reason I can't just walk out of here with the stuff now.'

It's a much more sane model of atheist spirituality than most I can remember.

Of course, I disagree with significant portions of his representation of 'science' and 'spirituality', but I've never seen a thing like that made by an atheist that I have agreed with. It doesn't help that since he's proud of not having studied the Torah, he's unlikely to have fact checked the various holy books before writing it up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 11, 2015, 01:57:46 am »

That's definitely interesting, and I can definitely see it for his particular definition of the word "spirituality". What I find more interesting is his related next post. His "truthism" that he speaks of there is extremely similar to a slightly more scientific take on Buddhism. His step 3 only being able to result in love is basically identical to the Buddhist philosophy of loving kindness.

That said I think his "religion" and a variety of other similar religions (like Buddhism) miss something. They seek to silence your mind, to quiet the "animals" that he speaks of and deny them any control over the body. But they miss that it's those same animals that allow for the creation of art or music. While the howling of the monkeys in our brains might be distracting, it's that same howling that occasionally takes two random sounds and puts them together to form a new word. We should know how to silence the monkeys, but the end goal shouldn't be to silence them totally, but should rather be to control them. Studies in people with brain damage have shown that without emotions, without those animals there to help guide you, people end up spending hours trying to decide what type of chips to buy at the grocery store. Like it or not we need those animals, and without them we look only at a world devoid of art, devoid of passion, and where even simple decisions paralyze us. They shouldn't control us nor cloud our perceptions, but it's important to recognize that the end goal is not to evict them.

(Just my two cents. To be honest when I started this post it looked nothing like this, but this is how it turned out so here it is. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 521