I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578226 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #4080 on: December 10, 2015, 09:10:54 am »

It wasn't that I didn't understand. I just thought it was a less-than-stable way to view morality, and also maybe a tad bit arrogant. No offence, but your morality isn't better than mine, and you are not automatically a better person :P

I'm not trying to get to you, just saying what I think.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: December 10, 2015, 09:18:37 am »

It wasn't that I didn't understand. I just thought it was a less-than-stable way to view morality, and also maybe a tad bit arrogant. No offence, but your morality isn't better than mine, and you are not automatically a better person :P

I'm not trying to get to you, just saying what I think.
I'm just bad at explaining everything. Tunnel-visioned.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: December 10, 2015, 09:41:39 am »

I used to say something similar, until I realised I was only saying it because I had an undefendable position. Now I either change my view slightly or research more into my view rather than say "I can't explain it."

Just because someone can say it more concisely or in less words than you does mean that you are bad at explaining. Not being able to explain means that you do not understand, as a general rule.

This may be presumptuous, but ah well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: December 10, 2015, 11:37:45 am »

I can explain it, I just focus on one thing without giving any background or related information that is required to understand it. I just assume everybody already knows. That is why I am bad at explaining things.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4084 on: December 10, 2015, 05:37:28 pm »

I can explain it, I just focus on one thing without giving any background or related information that is required to understand it. I just assume everybody already knows. That is why I am bad at explaining things.
Don't worry, I do that too. Everyone's bad at everything until they've practised it enough.

The other stuff is what's interpretative. What's other, and what's canon? And which parts of the canon take precedence?
Just off the top of my head, there are lots of things related to Christianity that the Bible doesn't explain or explains vaguely enough for people to disagree:
  • Sacraments (what is, how to do)
  • Baptism (when/how, necessity thereof)
  • Whether women should preach
  • How much to tithe
  • Relevance of the OT
  • How to structure a service
  • Homosexuality/transsexualism
  • Young earth/old earth
  • Election/reprobation
  • Sola scriptura
And so on. These things are not the core of the religion, they're the trappings. Some are more important than others, depending on who you ask. Some people think that some things take precedence over Christ's teachings. Some people focus only on Christ's teachings.
The presentation varies, but the core remains the same. That's why there's 30 000 denominations of Christianity and not 30 000 loosely-affiliated religions.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:39:09 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: December 11, 2015, 10:16:34 am »

I'd say the core of Christianity is still up for debate. Plenty of people consider Mormons and/or Catholics to be non-Christian because they are such large departures from what these people consider the core values of Christianity. There's really not a hard line between a denomination and a loosely associated faith, it just depends on who you ask.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4088 on: December 13, 2015, 09:08:36 am »

No it went from Colonial to Secular to Islam

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: December 13, 2015, 09:10:34 am »

"Gambia cannot afford to continue the colonial legacy," pretty heavily implies to me that he considers a secular state to be part of their 'colonial legacy'.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4090 on: December 13, 2015, 09:13:30 am »

"Gambia cannot afford to continue the colonial legacy," pretty heavily implies to me that he considers a secular state to be part of their 'colonial legacy'.

Hamat Bah, of the opposition National Reconciliation Party, criticised the decision. "There is a constitutional clause that says that Gambia is a secular state," he said. "You cannot make such a declaration without going through a referendum."

Jammeh's government has been regularly criticised by Britain and other Western powers for human rights abuses. Jammeh has ruled Gambia since seizing power in 1994.

Jeffrey Smith, a senior advocacy officer at the Robert F Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights, told Al Jazeera that Jammeh's "unilateral" decision to call Gambia an Islamic republic is part of a "larger pattern of capriciousness" and has ulterior political motives.

"Gambia is not a country of laws but is rather ruled by the whims of Yahya Jammeh," Smith said.

Second, Jammeh has burned all bridges with his former donors in the West due to his deplorable human rights track record and the rampant corruption that he has participated in.

"As such, he is desperately attempting to foster a closer and more lucrative relationship with the Arab world. By couching his decision in terms of 'fighting colonialism', we can see that he is trying to cozy up with other parts of the world that harbour anti-West sentiments," he said.

Newspeak

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: December 17, 2015, 10:07:31 pm »

so what do people think of this?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: December 17, 2015, 10:10:30 pm »

so what do people think of this?
I don't think anything bad will happen neccessarily, but I also think that it is somewhat pointless

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: December 17, 2015, 10:16:03 pm »

"A house divided cannot stand."

What point is there in shoving 3 mutually exclusive religious faiths into one crowded center of worship?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: December 17, 2015, 10:17:01 pm »

Correction: I think it is very pointless.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 521