Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 542313 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2010, 12:41:52 am »

Tip for when people are just starting the game or are looking for some free loot; stealing from Joppa and getting easy items.
There are six buildings with chests. Argvye's house thing, the house immediately up-left from your starting position, the first house down-right from the elder's house, the house right of it, and the trader's house.

You can only successfully steal from four without doing something smart. Here's how to do each one.
Argvye's house: push Argvye until he is behind the corner of the left wall outside. Then you may start stealing.
The house immediately up-left from your starting position: Close the door and steal.
The first house down-right from the elder's house: Close the door and steal.
The house right of the house above: Once again, close the door and steal.

Now, for the elder and trader's house, you have to get them outside. However, that's impossible do without destroying a wall or teleporting since you can't get around them to push them out. Now, when testing, I tried destroying a wall. I destroyed it and pushed the trader outside, then closed the door. As soon as I was done stealing he started attacking me. So either I got spotted by the two watervine farmers to the north, you can't steal from them(or at least the trader, since I'm not willing to try stealing from the elder and possibly die again) at all, you must have all entrances closed(though that conflicts from the fact that Argvye's house has no doors at all and two tiles open), or people must be a certain distance(more than 4 tiles) away.

I haven't got very far in this character yet, but as far as I can tell there are no immediate side effects from stealing from those houses with the above methods.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:56:06 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2010, 12:51:45 am »

Game's pretty cool so far.  Is there a safe place to store all my stuff?  Can I just put it in one of the houses in the starting town? Oh and how are you guys navigating around, I've gotten lost once after going south to get glowfish corpses to sell, so I'm kind of wary about getting lost in farther places.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2010, 01:01:06 am »

Is there a safe place to store all my stuff?  Can I just put it in one of the houses in the starting town?
Yep, I put my stuff in the house next to the trader and it stays there forever.

I've gotten lost once after going south to get glowfish corpses to sell, so I'm kind of wary about getting lost in farther places.
Getting lost isn't that bad. Just explore around until you stop being lost. I'm not 100% sure, but I think 2 screens are equal to one tile on the world/travel map, so if you keep going in the direction you were trying to go earlier, you should eventually get to where you're trying to go. Also, you can end being lost by going past places you've been before.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2010, 01:11:22 am »

Thanks for answering my questions Tarran.  I've been killing those S guys and selling their stuff to the trader, and the trader now has no money to pay with.  I bought a bunch of stuff off of him but his money stays the same, perhaps this is something that should be changed?  Also, does the trader refresh his money/items every couple of days?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2010, 01:12:24 am »

Also, does the trader refresh his money/items every couple of days?
Yep. Takes a while, but they eventually do.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2010, 01:19:07 am »

Re: Fliching from the Elder: Push him into the upper right corner of the far left 'square' of his building. He won't have LoS on you when you loot his table and chest, and you can safely walk away with everything Irudad's not wearing.

Re: Selling junk in Joppa -- you can also get a little extra water out of th'w and f dudes. Just leave them a single vinewafer so you can open up trade to sell to them, later. I don't think their water supply refreshes, but that's still around 200 drams of water to be bartered for.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:25:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2010, 01:25:32 am »

Re: Fliching from the Elder: Push him into the upper right corner of the far left 'square' of his building. He won't have LoS on you when you loot his table and chest, and you can safely walk away with everything Irudad's not wearing.
Nice to know since I just died. RNG spawned me in two closely linked rooms filled with ranged enemies and lots of melee ones.

Edit: Too bad the only thing it it was a torch... I feel like the RNG is taunting me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:31:00 am by Tarran »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2010, 01:30:02 am »

Wow, a croc corpse nets 197 drams. Craazyyy.  So is everyone training up in the area around the starting town first before venturing north?  What level should I aim for before going up there? I'm a praetorian by the way, I kill lots of things in one or two hits, seems kind of easy.

EDIT: thanks for that info frumple, just in time because I was going to throw this croc corpse away.

EDIT2: I can't trade with them, I tried using space and C but it doesn't do anything, they just say a phrase and that's it.  How do you trade with them?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:36:35 am by Tnx »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

I usually net level 2 in the swamp two screens south of joppa, then go to the canyons two screens north of joppa and clear out a couple screens of snapjaws and such, collecting loot and leveling a couple times. Then I go back to town, sell and buy as needed, and go through the tinker's quests before hitting red rock. Red rock itself isn't particularly dangerous unless you happen to come across an unfortunately boss snapjaw, like the fire-spitting one that killed my first or second character. A praetorian would probably be able to just walk in, murder everything, and walk out. You'll probably be fine as-is up to two-headed boars and the most stubborn of hermits, so you could stand not doing much 'training' in the local area. Just be ready to kite backwards to regain some HP if the situation calls for it, and do try to avoid fighting more than one critter at a time. Chokepoints and corridors are your friend.

Clearing out a few ruins or whatnot might not be a bad idea, though. There's some nasty stuff in them there hills, and your true man, while tough and very powerful, isn't particularly quick (compared to, say, a teleporting or multi-legged mutant), so if you run into something that's both stronger and faster than you, you're probably screwed. So doing a little training in the 'safer' areas might make it less likely for you to run into something possessing both those attributes.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2010, 01:47:02 am »

Also, some ruins can be generated in the swamps. I think somewhere directly east of Joppa 2 or more screens away if their position is always in the same place. So far I've got ruins there twice. They usually have high level enemies(I got a turret once, but I blasted it with a sniper rifle), but can have high value loot(like the chaingun I mentioned a while ago). I'm a bit busy clearing out Red Rock at the moment, so if anyone wants to confirm or refute for me, go ahead.

Edit: Nope, doesn't seem like they're always generated in the same area.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:25:41 am by Tarran »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2010, 02:12:51 am »

I still haven't figured out how to trade with the watervine farmers.  I went to the game's forums and read around but still didn't find any info on that, can you tell me how you did it Frumple? (Or anyone else that knows how)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2010, 02:19:01 am »

I think you can only trade with Mehmet.

Also, major tip for anyone getting burdened by water; swap your water with nuggets. They are far more efficient on weight and you can sell them back for the exact same price. Of course, it's always a good idea keeping some water to drink. However for excess water, nuggets are much lighter and you can actually carry them on yourself unlike water which weighs a ton.

Note that beads are also good on weight—better than copper or silver—but they aren't as good as gold nuggets. Edit: However, I think selling back to traders makes less money then it costs to buy them, so beads aren't as good as nuggets in that respect.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:43:46 am by Tarran »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2010, 02:31:50 am »

Yeah, sorry, only the red-f-head-dude-farmer-thing. Him, th'blue 'w' to the north, and the trader are the only ones you can get water from in Joppa -- tinker dude doesn't keep water on him, so selling to 'im is a bust.

EDIT: Latest abuse trick learned: Burgeoning summoned plants can leave behind corpse-material... such as lover's blossom, which sells for a jack-ton at that point in the game.

EDIT2: Don't try to melee burgeoning summoned pricklers when you're level one. In fact, don't try to melee pricklers at all, if you can avoid it.

E3: Confirmation on thievery, it definitely requires LoS for them to hate you. Just dug a hole into the back of Tam's building and shifted him outta' there, nabbing all his junk immediately thereafter. No one seems to care~
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:46:14 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2010, 02:54:25 am »

Wow, the shop just refreshed and I bought a glowsphere off of the trader for 25.  It acts as a super torch, lights 8 squares each way from my character.

EDIT: Wow okay, so I was running from an albino ape, and I crossed two areas, I managed to get him 3 tiles behind me, so then he could not follow me to the next zone.  Now after healing up, I decide to go back to fight him, I go back on the SAME PATH and as I try to travel to the area where I lost him at, I'm actually attacking him, but he cannot attack me back.  It seems like he is stuck in the area over there but cannot see me... This has got to be a bug right?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:06:11 am by Tnx »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2010, 03:25:33 am »

Tip for everyone reading; EQUIP YOUR WEAPON ONCE YOU BUY IT. I was fighting Crocs with my fists and a torch without realizing it. Strangely, I survived long enough to realize why I was failing against them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:32:44 am by Tarran »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 250