Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dragslay!  (Read 111160 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragslay!
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

Ha!  That reminds me of an old TI83 program I made.  You would gain stats, had classes, fought Final Fantasy stuff(I was a fanboy back then, still buy most of them but I'm not rabid over it anymore) had a simple monster editor, you could save yer characters and buy equipment.  The program took up 90% of the calculator's storage space. It was my first(and most successful) program.

And then I dropped it in the Intercoastal waterway while fishing with pop.

Oh well, I still have the memories.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DreaDFanG:
<STRONG>This needs to happen!</STRONG>

I dont know how much code there is in Dragslay,  but its old prolly might take a complete rewrite to get it working, anyone even know basic enough to rewrite it?  Or have the time and ambition too?  Im sure Toad is too busy to do it, unless he gets a bug in him...Or takes a short break to do so, and as DF is his income right now I doubt it, although it would be soo very cEwL!

Even if he released the code would anyone who has the ability rewrite the thing? Prolly a moot point as It hasnt been discussed with Toadster...

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>

And then I dropped it in the Intercoastal waterway while fishing with pop.

Oh well, I still have the memories.</STRONG>

I'm paranoid about this kind of thing.  I never take my electronics outside, and whenever I see a puddle, I think of my iPod.  I'm extremely protective of my possessions.  I would've been pissed if that happened to me.  How were you fishing with pop?

Shoes...

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

I too want to see and play Dragslay '96.

Would be fun to see more of your beginnings Toady

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>
How were you fishing with pop?</STRONG>

Well, it's a bit difficult to get started, but once you know the trick of getting the hook through the neck just under the cap it's rather easy.

You punch a couple holes with a small awl, attach a steel leader and hook the bottle underneath the cap in that special spot.  Then just cast it out into the water like you would with anything else.  

Now, Pepsi will get you various freshwater trout and maybe a couple good-sized bass if you're lucky, but if you want the big league fighters go with a two-litre Coke bottle.  Just remember to get a good tension line, as well as that leader I mentioned, otherwise you'll have another "the one that got away" fish story to tell.

Sprite will always pick up jellyfish.  Don't ask me why, it just does.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 02:27:00 am »

The puns! THEY BURN!!!

And yet, that is a strangely amusing image.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

I brought it with me because I'm not the fisherman type.  I threw out my line and pulled my TI out of my pocket and started messing around with it.  My dad was talking with my sister mostly, because she had more potential to be the normal sibling.  I was just there because it's not a father-son fishing trip without the son there.

Anyway I set the TI aside when I felt something pull on the line and stood up to get better leverage or something on it and my shuffling foot pushed the TI off the end of the dock. Plunk.

I don't remember what it was that I caught but I remember it being depressing.  It might of even got away, the fish wasn't exactly the primary thing on my mind at the time.

I hear Dr. Pepper is good for catching lunkers by the way.  

Did I just send this thread spiraling off topic?

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>

Did I just send this thread spiraling off topic?</STRONG>

Topics have an on-topic limit of 5 years.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

Woah, this thread is old.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

Not as old as Dragslay!!!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

I found a lot of my old C programs.  C Dragslay was at a point where you don't start at a town for some reason, and I don't know that it places towns in the wilderness.  It used to, but I couldn't find one walking around the region map.  The display didn't transfer well from Borland, so the text occasionally writes over itself or doesn't scroll.  It would need an extensive rewrite to update it to anything I'm using now, since it doesn't use a message pump (it was originally a DOS program and just used a command=getch() type flow within whatever function you happen to be in).  Without the rewrite I'm not sure I can fix the display problems.  Maybe if I put it in curses it would go faster.  The years were 93-97 apparently, which vaguely aligns with what I remember.  Right now, I don't have time to fix it up.  Not sure if I will later.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:00 am »

I cant code but would you release the code if someone who could wanted to do the rewrite?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

I would be interested in looking at it, but with no intention of compiling...
Eh?
Eh!

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>My dad was talking with my sister mostly, because she had more potential to be the normal sibling.</STRONG>

Haha, that is a classic, I may just quote you on that one day ...

Did you suck it from your own breast, or is it sort of an idiom in your language/habitat?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

I was just a weird kid, real quiet, kept to myself, would usually think for a long time before speaking, had a dry humor, that kind of thing.  While my sister was(and still is) active and outgoing like my dad. I was absolutely nothing like either of my parents.  Now I'm not quite as quiet, and I need to start thinking before I open my mouth like I used to.  ;)

I actually creeped most of the kids at school out quite a bit because my sister told me I had a really creepy stare whenever I was thinking about what to say.  After columbine happened while I was is high school I was actually taken into the counsoler's office and talked to for a long time. I hadn't even done anything.  When I started getting annoyed about it, I was suspended for a week.  So I guess I even weirded out the staff.  

So yea...my sister really was the normal one in the family.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5