Tilesets!
- 8 (50%)
ASCII only!
- 4 (25%)
I don't care
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarven Temple Contest!  (Read 21314 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Temple Contest!
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2016, 06:32:10 am »

I like doing metals rare as a game mechanic - it makes "rare" metals actually rare.  A full golden temple would have to either embark on a place where there's a vein of the stuff, or be really successful trading for gold items.  However, with the economy broken, that might be too much of a challenge.

I'll be looking more at a temple's "flow" and specific architectural aesthetics than I will for quantity of ornamentation or valuable materials anyway.  Bonus points to appropriate special nicknames and titles of the clergy and attention to structural detail (supported walls/floors, pillars, arches, ect...).

So, what about those of us who have to do smaller embarks?

Or even caverns, since a lot of us are going to have FPS issues.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 05:03:38 pm »

Alright, let the temple building commence!

You have two weeks, the end of the day on Sunday, January 24, to finish your temple and post your write-up.

For all the contestants, post once you can confirm that the save is working on your computer.

How your temple will be scored is on the front page.  When you finish and are ready to make your write-up, include the following things:

1. What tileset and any mods or changes you made.
2. What god your temple represents.
3. How you built your temple (if it isn't already obvious, you don't need to put that you dug in the ground, but if you created a floor of obsidian and dug your temple in that, be sure to include it).
4. A basic summary of what it is and what's inside (that's not obvious by looking at the pictures).
5. Pictures of your temple.
6. The save.

You can post what's up above as you go along, or as one big block at the end.  Also, the poll has been closed.  Post your temple using whatever tileset your heart desires.

The world can be found here.

It's the newest version (42.04).

Here's what the world looks like:
-Smaller (33x33)
-End Year: 100
-25 Sites
-10000 Population Cap
-Unimportant Historical Figures Have Been Culled
-Elevation and Temperature are both heavily weighted to extremes, so hopefully you should be able to get a variety of biomes and steep cliffs, even though it's a smaller world
-Mineral Scarcity: 500 (this is equivalent to 'frequent' on basic world gen)
-1 Roc and 1 Titan, No Semi-Megabeasts
-Increased Number of Good and Evil Biomes
-2 Caverns with a Maximum Density of 0 (to reduce pathing difficulties through them)

I basically tried to get a varied and interesting world, while at the same time trying to make sure the fps stays fairly high.  There are no less than seven different dwarven civs for you to choose from.

Other features include two neutral (not good or evil) volcanic islands in the middle of an evil ocean, dark fortresses in the middle of a serene biome, three mountain ranges, a large desert, two oceans, a few forests, and all the shrublands you could possibly want.

Although, I would try to avoid the necromancer tower in the southwest corner, and the zombie roc, and the forgotten beast made of diamonds...

Anyway, good luck! Let's build the greatest virtual temples this world has ever seen!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:07:28 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 06:10:35 pm »

The save works for me! Slim picking on evil biomes, sadly. There's an ocean, a tundra and a frozen mountain.

Great variety of gods though! Lots of tempting choices.

Looks like a cool challenge!

edit: Got the tileset working. The tragic tundras and evil mountains have undead!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:27:52 pm by gchristopher »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 06:26:04 pm »

Loads for me... I was worried for a moment, because it doesn't show up under "Continue".  I had to choose "Start playing" instead.  ::)

So, yeah, the rest of you probably don't need to fear me.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2016, 10:13:17 pm »

Need to pick a deity. Here's the list of choices:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For civ names, "The Mechanisms of Slapping" wins by a wide margin. Sadly, their pantheon isn't very inspiring, except for Ozor, diety of muck, dreams, nightmares, and the night. That one's quite tempting. I guess all those slapping machines give you excellent taste in evil deities.

A few of the civs have nicely large and varied pantheons.

If anyone is having a hard time finding an embark and wants to risk dfhack to tweak anything, please say so. It is quite a small world. Here's some things that I've done before:

Easy/Safe:

Changing elevations on individual embark tiles, river position/width, small changes to the layout of biomes in a single map tile,

Less Easy: (possible, but I consider them more risky)

Moving biomes around the world map, altering geology details, changing evil weather, moving the necromancer tower, changing large-scale elevation, temperature or other biome-determining values.

I'll probably make smallish tweaks to wherever the embark ends up happening, mostly to increase my own Fun. I'd expect the judges to ignore the embark details, since this is about what we (fail to) build, not really where we embark. Definitely going to avoid any large or complicated changes.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 10:33:45 pm »

I can't play vanilla, no tileset is driving me nuts atm; hopefully it's playable for me something this week.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 10:49:40 pm »

Thanks, gchristopher, that list helps a lot.

I can't play vanilla, no tileset is driving me nuts atm; hopefully it's playable for me something this week.

Do the tilesets not work? I've never used them before, so I wouldn't know what to do.  I know gchristopher had problems with them, but eventually got it working. Is there something specific I need to do with the save? Or is there something else that needs to be done?
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 11:09:39 pm »

After unzipping the Temple save to your save/ folder, try copying the entire raw/ folder from another save created using your tileset. I did that with Ironhand and it seems to be working fine. You probably want to use an otherwise unmodded install of DF, with only the tileset changes applied. Any other mods will probably break something.

So, yeah, I can't resist embarking from The Mechanisms of Slapping. Looks like the small but determined cult of Ozor is headed north to live out their nightmares, and probably die in the process. Hmm, didn't really have a plan for that kind of deity...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 11:41:52 pm »

cool, i'll try iron hand.

I tried Phoebus, and it's missing some animal man entry.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 11:48:09 pm »

Oh that makes sense. The graphics aren't all caught up with Toady's new editions in the last update. Do we want to wait for the graphics to update? Or just continue on?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2016, 02:52:49 am »

Oh that makes sense. The graphics aren't all caught up with Toady's new editions in the last update. Do we want to wait for the graphics to update? Or just continue on?

I'm zooming right ahead. How many caverns are there, by the way? I embarked on a volcano, and the first one revealed the magma sea.

Edit: Wait, there's 2. I see that now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:05:36 am by SimRobert2001 »

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2016, 10:30:15 am »

Alright, we're going to continue then. Just do what gchristopher said to get graphics to work.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2016, 07:35:03 am »

Watching and secretly building a temple to Ad, deity: the sky, the moon, the night.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2016, 02:44:59 am »

Survived to the first caravan. Apparently the Mechanisms of Slapping aren't the world's best scholars. Every single book and scroll brought by the caravan are copies of "The Knowledge of Clenchmenaced," which concerns the fortress Clenchmenaced. The book doesn't actually contain any knowledge or promote any values.

So... possibly the only book for the entire civilization doesn't actually have any useful content.

At least they let me order Giant Elephant Ivory goblets!

Also,

That's the spirit!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:19:49 am by gchristopher »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2016, 02:51:02 am »

Embarked on an island. Had 60 dwarves. Then the werecreature came. Now im hovering around 45 dwarves, with migrant waves really far apart, and consisting of 2 dwarves each.

Edit: Where do i get the civilization info, like symbols?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:56:35 am by SimRobert2001 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13