Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 210838 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Started this up again a few days ago after a long haitus to give me something to do until XCOM2 unlocks. Hadn't played all that far in before, and that was long before the Cove got added. The early game seems a lot easier this time around. Not sure if that's due to a bit more familiarity on my part or if they actually made it easier.

But so far I've only had a few deaths (mostly due to some bad luck and a terrible lvl 0 who went hopeless and ruined an entire run. I've killed off a few bosses already and almost have my first level 3 team ready to go.
One impression I've got is that low levels have gotten a lot less dangerous and risky, but high levels are as brutal as anything, to the point that it's kinda bullshit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Ive done similar things. Dark runs can make compelte scrubs gods or turn them into finely  ground meat

Does it?  I mean the challenge of the mission doesn't really influence their development.  A guy who levels up on dark runs isn't going to be any stronger than a guy who levels up on regular runs.  In fact considering the stress and diseases and afflictions, he's almost definitely gonna end up worse.

More stats, and more variable stats, would lead to a natural selection situation which would make dark runs more productive of high-power characters.  In Old XCOM I put my recruits through the wringer, ensuring the guys with better natural stat setups were the ones who got through and became real team members.
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Just did my first Veteran run with this version. Oof, that was kinda nasty. Manageable, but the step up in danger from the novice runs is very noticeable.

Also, damn I love Grave Robbers. Fragile, but by far my most reliable damage characters for pretty much any range. And I picked up a nice green trinket for them early on that has +40% Blight and a few other things. Really makes those darts a reliable source of blight on most monsters, which has proven quite handy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

A plague doctor blacked out during his her week in the tavern and "misplaced" my only sacred scroll trinket. That trinket lets vestals' heal skills heal 33% more hp

Thanks, alcohol.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Wait, they can misplace stuff that they don't have equipped? I thought they could only lose shit they have on them, which is why I started stripping everyone of everything the moment they come back to town :V

Also had my second fight with the collector, only got that big jewel thing which you sell for mad cash :C
But he went down much quicker this time around, stuns and bleeds all around make for fun times :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

so i played for a while now and got a team of around 8 level 4s and 7 level 3s...the problem is i have only a single occultist for the lot of them.

Azim Fleshmender has seen some shit down there...on his triple and quadruple shifts.

The problem is training up new occultists (yeah i know i could use vestals as dedicated healers/long range artillery instead but i don't trust religious nutjobs who never pray but instead do unspeakable things in the taverns...in fact...i think my vestals are of a slaaneshi cult).
I tried doing dark runs as told above, the result was everyone making it...except for my occultists...thanks for that advice XD

anyway what do you guys think, would an all occultist team be something viable? i mean they have awesome heals, abyssal artillery by two of them at once takes care of most of the backrow enemies and knife attacks and that eldritch first row thing seems to do decent amounts of damage, couple that with all the debuffs they could dish out and it seems like four of htem would make a solid team...or am i completely overlooking something here?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

They're absolutely squishy and a single good crit that takes out one of them would probably screw up your whole run, losing two is right out since it means you lose abyssal too. I'd say with any class you plan to exploit in multiples two max is the most optimal solution, anything more than that usually limits the usefulness. So I'd say, running two occultists, a houndmaster and maybe a bounty hunter as frontline would be your best bet. You got three guys who can mark and debuff and two guys who can use those marks to deal sick damage. I've read of a nasty combo of I think one occultist and three bounty hunters which marks a target and wipes it out in a single turn, regardless of difficulty.

I've personally run two houndmasters recently, and while it didn't go as well as I had hoped it was pretty nice with one marking and the other murdering, bonus points because I also had an arbalest for those 20 damage snipes :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Ive done similar things. Dark runs can make compelte scrubs gods or turn them into finely  ground meat

Does it?  I mean the challenge of the mission doesn't really influence their development.  A guy who levels up on dark runs isn't going to be any stronger than a guy who levels up on regular runs.  In fact considering the stress and diseases and afflictions, he's almost definitely gonna end up worse.

More stats, and more variable stats, would lead to a natural selection situation which would make dark runs more productive of high-power characters.  In Old XCOM I put my recruits through the wringer, ensuring the guys with better natural stat setups were the ones who got through and became real team members.

What i meant was the increased crits can work heavily in your favor....if the gods of RNG decide to not be dicks. Otherwise everyone gets stressed and decimated
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A plague doctor blacked out during his her week in the tavern and "misplaced" my only sacred scroll trinket. That trinket lets vestals' heal skills heal 33% more hp

Thanks, alcohol.

:D

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

My mark team of an arbalest, houndmaster, and 2 bounty hunters has proven itself to be absolutely great in the warrens. Killed the novice mass of flesh pretty quickly thanks to marking the hearts with houndmaster and my bounty hunters smacking them for 15 to 20 damage a turn. Hadn't even camped yet.

Went on to loot the whole dungeon after camping, got 16,000 gold out of it and minimum stress from it. Which is great, I was pretty low on gold for a while due to several missions I had to bail out of (veteran prohpet and novice sodden crew) costing me tons of gold on stress reduction while not giving much gold.

Week 40, all the novice bosses beaten except the sodden crew. Think I'm doing pretty gud.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

For some reason the game runs REEAALLY slow now :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I kinda want to try a team of four Grave Robbers stacked with Dodge boosting trinkets to see how well that would fare.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Wait, they can misplace stuff that they don't have equipped? I thought they could only lose shit they have on them, which is why I started stripping everyone of everything the moment they come back to town :V
IIRC, they lose stuff they have equipped first, and if they've got nothing on them they lose stuff in inventory. I basically don't use the tavern anymore.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

For some reason the game runs REEAALLY slow now :(

I've been noticing considerable lag in some of the combat animations frames, but otherwise the rest of the game runs well.

Also when did guys in town start healing a little stress per week? That change alone is a huge boon, and contributes to the early game feeling a little easier.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also when did guys in town start healing a little stress per week? That change alone is a huge boon, and contributes to the early game feeling a little easier.

It's been in for a couple patches. I wanna say it came in with the abomination patch, but don't quote me on that.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 101