Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51946 times)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:54 pm »

After a sudden outbreak of deaths among the dwarfs of Shadowgraves, the Ministry of Not Dieing Horribly has sent me to investigate, and make changes as I see fit. I even get a nice hat too.
Here is your problem: The caverns aren't sealed. (...)
Case closed.

Well, maybe. BUT all the walls are smoothed so that nothing can climb in. Something could fly in, sure, but I still want to know exactly what. And anyway, having the bottom of the shaft be open saved about 20 z-levels of mining. :P
There was an open pathway into and out of the caverns that anything could walk through. I didn't post a picture of it, but it was there. It was easy to find: I just sent a squad into the caves, and followed their path. Also, yes, I am taking up the save, and starting an ambitious mega-project that will most certainly not be done by the end of my year. But it will be mostly done. Maybe.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2015, 04:36:30 pm »

Granite 15th
There was a sparing accident today. 2 Soldiers from the Wimps were killed. It is unknown how they died, other then by extreme blood loss (over 20 tiles of blood).

The Project, henceforth known as the Magma Carta is continuing wonderfully. The upper levels of the stack are complete, and the lava-duct is under construction. The miners are still digging. I will also make an obsidian so that we can have obsidian blocks to build pimps with.

A minor Puppy-splosion has been dealt with. Over 10 puppies have been designated as food, and the High Master Gelder(!!!) is getting to work on the war dogs. The outpost liaison has decided that he wants to live at this fort, so I am digging out a set of rooms.

We only have a 3.5% unemployment rate, compared to the 27%~ rate that I found upon arriving. Every dwarf that can work, is working. I decided that I needed better armor, and have commissioned the smiths to make me a set of Cotton Candy Armour. I also decided to make a Whiffle Bat Hammer, for when someone is appointed to be the Hammerer. Not much is happening.

1st Hemitite:
It's now summer. Work on the stack continues. The liaison has his quarters. All non-useful metal weapons (Aka, silver flails, bronze sabers, pikes, ect) are being melted. The Cheese Maker has gone missing. No one really noticed when he went missing. Such is the lot of Cheezemakers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:45:25 pm by maxcat61 »
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2015, 04:50:14 pm »

Granite 15th
There was a sparring accident today. 2 Soldiers from the Wimps were killed. It is unknown how they died, other then by extreme blood loss (over 20 tiles of blood).

Strange. (But also like what I saw...) Is there anything in the recent combat reports?

A minor Puppy-splosion has been dealt with. Over 10 puppies have been designated as food, and the High Master Gelder(!!!) is getting to work on the war dogs. The outpost liaison has decided that he wants to live at this fort, so I am digging out a set of rooms.

Dogs are always useful, aren't they? As warriors, as pets, as food, as trade goods...

Wait, why is the outpost liaison living here?
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »

The combat logs had no injuries, just "Dwarf X strikes Dwarf Y in the Body Part, Lightlly tapping it". It is a mystery.

The outpost liaison came there because the king is living in the fort. He just showed up in the last migrant wave.

Edit: Urst McBadass just survived falling 37 Z levels, smashing through them 1 at a time, due to a falling rock from the top of the pimp stack. This dwarf has been bestowed the title "Lucky" for surviving something that should have killed him with only a mangled hand, lung, and rib. You only need 1 lung to breath, right?

A beautiful status. It brings a tear to my eye. I always enjoy it when a dwarf thinks like that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:09:23 pm by maxcat61 »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2015, 06:44:04 pm »

Hemitite 12th:
Another accident. no deaths, 1 hand was lost. The Lava-ducts are almost done
The humans have come to visit, to trade, and to convince me that magma is not the solution. They are wrong: magma is the answer to every problem.
I took all their food, booze, and some miscellaneous metal stuff for our old close and some crafts.
One of the Three Magma-Ducts is complete.

When the Pimp stack is complete, magma should be able to Flood the Moat (We all love magma moats), just outside the Trade depot (where the statues are), and just in front of the main gate.

Edit: Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Note for future Overseers: don't test #2 with the militia training.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:52:41 pm by maxcat61 »

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:25 pm »

"Magma is not the answer. Magma is the question. 'Yes' is the answer."

A magma moat WOULD be pretty awesome, though...
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2015, 12:24:32 am »

I can finish up the design, and most of the screws by the end of the year. The next overseer has to finish it, or don't touch it until someone else does. Worst comes to worse, I will finish it my next turn. There is about 0% chance of the wind farm being finished in time, but I can get a good chunk of it done. The obsidianiser is almost finished being dug out. It should be rather easy to use. In other matters, just about every bedroom room has engravings in them, and I am digging out more jail cells (10 is not enough for a fort of 163). Someone also made an artifact puppy bone bin (hehehehe). It is lame, there is no art on it.

P.S.
Dwarves can live in agony work productively with 1 lung: The Lucky dwarf that fell through 37 floors is thriving, and building more floors (despite missing a hand).

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »

Edit: Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.

Sigged.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2015, 05:49:32 pm »

Sigged.
YES!! MWAHAHAHAAHA
I Finally said something Sigworhty!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »

Ah, High Master Gelder rears his head again.

I knew he'd survive. Something about that one worries me...
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2015, 10:46:38 pm »

Autum has arived.
The Magma-ducts are complete. The wind farm has it's first windmill. And I just realized that the 30 copper screws that I made are not magma proof, along with the zinc pipe sections. The obsidianiser is 1/2 dug out. The workshops that compliment it are complete. All the bedrooms have engravings, and I am starting on the hallways.

Limestone 17th.
The Dwarven Caravan has come. Project FTW is producing a surplus of 100 urist's of power. We took all their food, cheese, and steel weapons/armor.

Sandstone 3rd.
Migrants have arrived. Project FTW is up to 400 surplus power. By the time it's finished, it should have 36 windmills, each producing 40 power, for a total of 1440 urists of power.

Timber 14th
A forgotten beast made of YELLOW SAND has shown up. It has poisons vapors, so i'm going to leave it for the next overseer to deal with. Project FTW now has 1100 urists of power, and is still explanding.

Moonstone 1st
I have decided to do something about the lack of suicide devices in this fort, and am building a !!dwarven catapult!!, and by dwarven, I mean it uses dwarves as ammo. The Magma-ducts are all done, the the obsidianiser is almost complete, and project FTW is increasing in power.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:10:58 pm by maxcat61 »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2015, 07:29:49 am »

I refer you to the master list, in the Holy Guide to Armok:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma-safe
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2015, 02:20:03 pm »

Autum has arived.
The Magma-ducts are complete. The wind farm has its first windmill. And I just realized that the 30 copper screws that I made are not magma proof, along with the zinc pipe sections.

When I started my turn, someone had ordered 30 zinc pipe sections, and the work order was about halfway completed.

I still don't know what they wanted them for.

Timber 14th
A forgotten beast made of YELLOW SAND has shown up. It has poisons vapors, so i'm going to leave it for the next overseer to deal with.

Uhoh!...Hm. The wiki doesn't say anything about sand specifically, but it says that beasts made of "powders" are very weak. Not that I'm recommending you try to fight it...

Moonstone 1st
I have decided to do something about the lack of suicide devices in this fort, and am building a !!dwarven catapult!!, and by dwarven, I mean it uses dwarves as ammo.

:o ?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »

Moonstone 1st
I have decided to do something about the lack of suicide devices in this fort, and am building a !!dwarven catapult!!, and by dwarven, I mean it uses dwarves as ammo.
:o ?
Don't worry: I will randomly hook up leavers to it place a clearly identifiable note on it. It should let dwarves land on the invaders... Slightly Crippled... If they are lucky... But don't worry about it: They probably won't survive landing  :D

Project FTW (Which stands for Face The Wind, of course) is generating a surplus of 1160 urists of power. That is 116 z levels of power, and we need 165 z levels. Which means that I need 500 more urists, or about 16 more windmills. It should be finished by the end of the year. I am making green glass tubes from sand that I bought from the traders.

Opal 20th
The obsidianiser is filling with magma. The bridges are almost done. The first, and only pump has been placed at the bottom of the stack. I am decommissioning some stairs in FTW in order to prevent tampering. It will most likely be done by the end of the year. We have enough zinc to build a tower out of it *cough*megaproject*cough*. I will finish, and post the save later today.

I was peaking at the stocks, and noticed that we have 1200 plump helms. Do we have enough?

Edit 1: Disassembling the constructions around the windmills is tricky business: I had to save-scum twice already due to chunks of the farm just collapsing. Interestingly enough, even with the floor gone, 1/2 the farm would remain standing, and the other half would collapse. Free !!Science!! for whoever wants to look into it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:45:27 pm by maxcat61 »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »

Spring has come. My year as overseer was rather borring. Here are the 2 projects that I managed to compleate.
Wind Farm
Bottom level
Top level
Enough power to pump magma from the Sea to the Surface. If we had pumps, that is:

Ahem...

There is also the obsidianiser. It is in the process of filling right now. There are also a few bridges that need to be hooked up. If you are confused about operation, I listed the steps.
Upper level.
Lower level and Obsidian Workshops.

Also, please destroy the lever marked "Mud Maker". It's use has passed. When the water drains from the room (you will know which one that is), don't build farms or anything. I am hoping that a sand tile can be produced there by another overseer, so that green glass can be produced (YAY).

The Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10686

And can I sign up for another year?

PS. Last time I checked, the FB made of Sand was fighting a Giant Toad, and loseing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:43:16 pm by maxcat61 »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26