Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3528937 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12855 on: June 30, 2012, 02:48:33 pm »

Summon word associations

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: June 30, 2012, 06:37:23 pm »

For the past couple of days I find I've been repeating to myself "What the hell-?"(as well as "Why the hell?", "Who the hell?", "Where the hell?", "When the hell?", and "How the hell?") followed by whatever incident merited such a question. I am completely surrounded by people doing incredibly stupid things.
One such thing was a newspaper comment about how uberliberals were trying to get rid of all the Republicans so they can take over the country. After a few more comments like that, I noticed I was reading the Daily News, which certainly made things a bit clearer.

Also had to listen to a sermon from somebody who, when asked why God allows bad things to happen, such as a baby getting hit by a car, he answered with a rambling wave of answers, almost every single one of which are reasons I greatly dislike the Christian belief system. Answer included 1) Adam disobeyed God, so every human thereafter already deserves what happens to them merely because they exist, 2) it's God, he can do whatever He wants, so tough luck, and 3) the baby probably would have become evil eventually, so preemptive strike ftw.
...and why do people follow this God character again? He sounds like kind of a dick.
くコ:彡

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »

...and why do people follow this God character again? He sounds like kind of a dick.

Same reason people enjoy Michael Bay movies. It's the explosions.

Also had to listen to a sermon from somebody who, when asked why God allows bad things to happen, such as a baby getting hit by a car, he answered with a rambling wave of answers, almost every single one of which are reasons I greatly dislike the Christian belief system. Answer included 1) Adam disobeyed God, so every human thereafter already deserves what happens to them merely because they exist, 2) it's God, he can do whatever He wants, so tough luck, and 3) the baby probably would have become evil eventually, so preemptive strike ftw.

If we're still on this topic in the next hour, I could go on a long rambling post re: the Problem of Evil. Serious theologians the world over have grappled with it for centuries. Just to reassure you, dude, 1) isn't considered a valid answer except by biblical fundamentalists, 2) is one possible answer to the problem of evil (aka the "God is a dick" solution) and 3) is only considered a valid answer by silly people. Or dicks (see number 2 )
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: June 30, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »

I think most people who are not dicks tend to believe something like "It may seem like bad stuff or evil right now, but god has a plan.  We just can't understand it because we are rooted in the present and cannot know what it all will amount to in the future."

So... basically blind faith... which is, if not a good answer, than at least a more interesting and less malicious one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: June 30, 2012, 07:33:41 pm »

I think most people who are not dicks tend to believe something like "It may seem like bad stuff or evil right now, but god has a plan.  We just can't understand it because we are rooted in the present and cannot know what it all will amount to in the future."

So... basically blind faith... which is, if not a good answer, than at least a more interesting and less malicious one.
+1

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: June 30, 2012, 09:31:02 pm »

Today I raged about not being able to have a damn beer. *deep breath* Must not drink. Must. Not. Drink.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »

I just found out that my girlfriend's parents are racist, sexist, homophobic, use religion in place of reason, and are all-around terrible people. The sheer magnitude of my fury would be enough to level a small country, were it energy instead of emotion.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: June 30, 2012, 11:55:44 pm »

Yikes!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10:58 am »

I just found out that my girlfriend's parents are racist, sexist, homophobic, use religion in place of reason, and are all-around terrible people. The sheer magnitude of my fury would be enough to level a small country, were it energy instead of emotion.
Sounds like my buddy's mother-in-law. Just one more reason I try to avoid speaking with her.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: July 01, 2012, 12:42:51 am »

Sounds like my buddy's mother-in-law. Just one more reason I try to avoid speaking with her.
The worst part is THIS IS NEW ZEALAND. I've never heard of ANYONE possessing all those stereotypically AMerican Christian traits in NZ before. I had some minor hope that we were actually free of such concentrated bigotry.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:44 am »

If you really believed that there were no bigots in your country, you may want to reassess your viewpoint.

That would apply to anyone, actually.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:19 am »

For the most part, you Kiwi Cousins are pretty open minded and liberal, which is nice.

Though, the same can be said of most countries. You've got your nice people and your blinded by faith/etc people.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:28 am »

No comment. I apparently never say what I mean to say on topics like this.

Still want a beer. Still can't have one.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: July 01, 2012, 12:53:00 am »

Going cold turkey?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:15 am »

The worst part is THIS IS NEW ZEALAND. I've never heard of ANYONE possessing all those stereotypically AMerican Christian traits in NZ before. I had some minor hope that we were actually free of such concentrated bigotry.
Perhaps this article can shatter a few of your delusions?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 3345