Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1565312 times)

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #825 on: August 14, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »

Both sides of the "Farming should be simple!" and "Farming should be complex!" argument give me a headache, because they're both right.

Ideally, it should be trivially simple to set up a couple patches of plump helmets or whatever and sustain your fortress with them without much maintenance, at least for a couple years or so.
But then all at once half the harvest has succumbed to disease, you've got more migrant mouths than you expected to feed, you've ruined the soil for future planting, the dwarves are sick of eating the equivalent of gruel all the time, and winter is only just setting in.
Your only hope is to butcher your herds for meat, increase your hunting (though game is scarce this time of year), and hope you last until the elven caravan comes in spring.  Or maybe, if you delved deeper into the earth, you might find something to eat...

You should be able to play a small fort simply and get by.  You should be able to buy some more time with occasional simple adjustments, like relocating your farms and changing crops, and live long enough for something else to kill you long before it's a major concern.  But managing a fully mature fortress (which currently tend to die because they get too stable and the player gets bored) should require more care and planning.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 15, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »

Ultimately farming should be an element that the player needs to consider but not an element that the player needs to babysit because the game has WAAAAY too much micromanagement as it is. It should present a challenge in areas poor for farming and should be simple in areas prime for farming.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:34:37 pm by Neonivek »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 15, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »

It's hard to say since I'm pretty much just fixing issues and following ripples from the world gen changes and so on. 

So toady is experiencing some kind of butterfly-effect? Serriously what does 'ripples' mean in this context?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 15, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »

It's hard to say since I'm pretty much just fixing issues and following ripples from the world gen changes and so on. 

So toady is experiencing some kind of butterfly-effect? Serriously what does 'ripples' mean in this context?

Probably a ripple as in a ripple in the water.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 15, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »

Probably a ripple as in a ripple in the water.

I'm gonna guess he means it like "I made this happen, which affects this, which affects this, this and this. Oops, that broke. Now I have to monitor the rest so I can find what else is broken because of either the original problem or the changes I made to fix it."
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 15, 2010, 03:12:06 pm »

Yes exactly, like a ripple in the water

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 15, 2010, 03:20:34 pm »

Oh god. I really want to collapse the roof on that 140 man cottage.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 15, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »

Apparently I am allergic to understanding metaphors.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 15, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »

I dare someone to take an Adventurer into that cottage and try and win...also, what's wrong with that? It could be a big family!
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 15, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

I dare someone to take an Adventurer into that cottage and try and win...also, what's wrong with that? It could be a big family!

It wouldn't be that tough... Counter Attacks arn't exhausting to my knowledge (though if they are)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 15, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »

Imagine land disputes in that village.

"My family has been living in that square foot for generations! My father was born and conceived there!"

"Yeah, but that was after you stole it from my family!"
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 15, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »

Sites with huge amounts of people should make it more fun and tougher to destroy a civilization as an adventurer. ~4000 people in a large town? Try fighting all of them. A REAL adventurer challenge.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 15, 2010, 08:41:33 pm »

Wow, that'll be hard.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 15, 2010, 08:49:30 pm »

Imagine now that a 200 man strong highly trained city-guard is after you because you stole a fish. Even more so if its a elven forrest retreat and those 200 are archers sitting all around you on branches and alike.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »

I remember toady saying that he would implement multi tile trees? Then I faintly remember him talking about how he would use them to build cities in the trees for elves.

I tired searching to no avail. It may not be true..sleep deprived hallucinations may be the culprit here..

Anyone remember such a think or care to link me to something ?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 342