Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Scaleplate/Chitinplate/Shellplate reduced to "Scale/Chitin/Shell", and "Rigid X-plate" to "X-plate". It would shorten names a lot.

Yes. Text gets cut off too often.
No. I dont care/like the names as they are.
Dont you have anything better to do then making such tiny adjustements?

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Discussion & Suggestions - NEW POLL!  (Read 80699 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Discussion & Suggestions - NEW POLL!
« Reply #960 on: April 28, 2014, 01:31:15 am »

Idea: Mercury as a dwarfy poison coating for weapons, syndrome would cause heavier bleeding and a small chance of immediate organ failure. IRL, cultures as early as the Greeks and Egyptians would produce mercury by subjecting cinnabar to heat and pressure, so maybe make a reaction that takes a cinnabar boulder and a barrel at the screwpress and produces a barrel of mercury? (They can squeeze coal into diamonds with their bare hands, crushing cinnabar into mercury would be child's play in comparison.)
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #961 on: April 28, 2014, 06:05:17 am »

Carp god cult civ would be possible. Even hidden ambushes that convert your dwarves. ;) Or kidnap kids. would fit the theme well.

Mercury poisoning: Seems perfectly reasonable and gives an inorganic source of poison. I like it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:28 am »

Mercury is certainly poisonous but it isn’t a good poison of choice.  It is insidious, takes a very long time to manifest effects and is very low on the weaponize-able scale when compared to the many alkaloids already in the game.  That’s why there’s no historical record of it ever being used to off anyone – takes years and is really only dangerous to miners, young children and people who accidently break their they-no-longer-make-those thermometers.

The Mad Hatter of Through the Looking Glass is a popular myth, never actually happened.  Mercury is not water (or blood) soluble so if cinnabar were to be used as a weapon, best would be the ‘exploding boulder’ aerosol mechanism already in the game. But there are lots of options for New Fun that way: mustard gas is fairly easy to make and so are several similar compounds that are similarly debilitating.  With all the funky plants in Masterwork, it’d be child’s play to have Stinging Nettle bombs, that sort of thing.  Me, I’m still trying to mod Psychoactive Toad secretion into an aerosol.    :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:39 am »

I have few suggestions:

1 Make the "Split" options for hives into a "Gather Eggs" option, which would produce "X egg bundles" [bane spider egg bundles, honey bee egg Bundles, silk moth egg bundles] which can be stored, placed into hives, traded or possibly eaten. Egg bundles could be traded for with caravans, remedying the fact that hives are among the only things that you cannot get from outside and need to harvest on embark.

2 Have drow caravans carry glumprong logs as a counterpoint to surface elves bringing feather, which would allow for the construction of black alters outside of evil biomes, or possibly allow the herbalist study to convert tree acorns (which it cannot do now unless i missed something). 

2.5 If the drow do not bring glumprong logs (on account of being from underground and not evil biomes) perhaps they could carry blood thorn logs which might be used to construct an alter for a fourth magic branch of "Deep magic" or "Old magic", i don't have any specific ideas off the top of my head but it seems like a cool idea to me.

3 Possibly implament a "Beast Kennal" (or combine the functionality with the megabeast kennel, or warbeast kennel) which allows you to tame Exotic animals (i honestly dont know if this might already be implemented, but if it isnt it should be)

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 18, 2014, 04:38:29 pm »

OH also i think that forest spiders should not be something that appear in calm areas, it may be just me but i generally get groups of three of them at the very beginning  of the first summer of any neutral biome, including marshes and deserts. They just seem a bit excessively dangerous to be so ubiquitous.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #965 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:42 pm »

Just want to note down a general suggestion:

Make a civ that uses ALL megabeast creatures in the entity file. This way people might get sieges of Colossi in one world, of ancient vampires in the other, and Minotauren in the next. Obviously optional and would exclude flying creatures. Armor/Weapons on megabeasts in groups... will be fun. (for people that say that the mod is too easy)

:)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 20, 2014, 11:41:58 pm »

I like it, more to fight with random tactics required. However, with the ability to make mega beast souls into mega beast pets (for a few playable civs), that'd become pretty self-powering after surviving the first attack wave. Would need to counter-balance some or turn that reaction off.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #967 on: May 21, 2014, 06:39:11 am »

True. Forgot about the souls ^^

Would still be fun to get sieged by dragons or colossi. :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:21:49 am by Meph »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:28 am »

Armor/Weapons on megabeasts in groups... will be fun. (for people that say that the mod is too easy)
:)

Who are these people??  Folks who’ve never tried challenging biomes or higher invader skills?  They should first try an embark using DFHack for nothing except digv and deathcause,  low-digit higher invader skills (because I’ll believe anybody survives long with > +4 when they post it on DFFD), or embarks where flux comes only from ground bones and bronze is the best metal in the top 80 levels!  Caveat: and low gold reserves – the mod actually is pretty easy after one figures out how to use the Embassy.  Not saying armored megabeasts wouldn't be cool, just that the mod isn't easy as written.  Maybe one of "those people" can step up in ☼Cathedral☼ and show the rest of us how it's done.    :) 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 21, 2014, 11:51:27 am »

Who are these people??  Folks who’ve never tried challenging biomes or higher invader skills?  They should first try an embark using DFHack for nothing except digv and deathcause,  low-digit higher invader skills (because I’ll believe anybody survives long with > +4 when they post it on DFFD), or embarks where flux comes only from ground bones and bronze is the best metal in the top 80 levels!  Caveat: and low gold reserves – the mod actually is pretty easy after one figures out how to use the Embassy.  Not saying armored megabeasts wouldn't be cool, just that the mod isn't easy as written.  Maybe one of "those people" can step up in ☼Cathedral☼ and show the rest of us how it's done.    :)
But if you have bronze you have flux (from refining Malachite).  And after a while you can have all the metal you want from praying (I commonly have 4 dedicated priests running constantly).  The nicest thing about Masterwork is that there are ways around any lack in a given embark, though religion is probably overpowered.

I wish there was a way to change the occurrence of ore-bearing rocks without changing the amounts of other interesting minerals/gems, so I could try an entirely metalless embark without it being too annoying.  I've tweaked things to get a interesting embark with just bronze shallow but lots of mithril under the second cavern layer by changing the raws for mithril.  Haven't tried increasing invader skills, at this point I'm way more frightened by the invaders mounts than the invaders themselves (longhorn cattle are way scarier than elite wrestler stranglers).  I also seem to only get stranglers and snakemen so I might just not have played long enough (year 3-4).
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]