Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 69946 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2018, 04:41:41 am »

I've finally come up with a volcano making script (the crashing I suffered were completely unrelated).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The script functions by creating a volcano mountain peak and then hooking it up to the embark world tile. After that, it messes with the "features" on both the global and the local level to plunk down a volcano in the "center" of the embark rectangle. Note that due to how DF generates features, you mustn't move the embark rectangle out of that world tile (i.e. be careful to NOT use the arrow keys, but uhkm), as DF will then regenerate the volcano at some RNG determined mid level tile, rather than the one originally selected when you return focus to the world tile.

Also note that the script refuses to place a volcano in a tile containing another feature, such as a candy spire, deep chasm, etc. as those features seem to be mutually exclusive (I guess it might be possible for chasms/passages to join two different levels of the same tile). Also, the script doesn't allow rivers either (although you probably don't want a river pouring down a volcano anyway).

The volcano is generated with an elevation matching the world tile elevation. If you want a cone you have to make it yourself (using e.g. the Region Manipulator).

To use the script, copy the script contents in the spoiler into a "text" file named make_volcano_here.lua (without .txt at the end) in the <DF>\hack \scripts directory, and then invoke the script from the DFHack console with "make_volcano_here".

As usual, testing has been limited (embarking to see that it takes effect and then killing DF immediately afterwards).

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 08:40:57 pm »

Coming back to the game after many years it's amazing to see how much control we have over the game now! Although I'm disappointed, previously the forums were flooded with cool and different embarks but it seems those types of posts have really dried up. Even the dedicated websites for sharing embarks and the subreddit have gone dead. It's a shame because seeing a good embark posted here, and the ideas it would inspire, was one of my primary drives for playing.

If I could make a request then for a reasonably flat 2x2 embark with, if at all possible, a brook/river and volcano on the surface and as many other features as possible (sand/iron/steel precursors etc)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2018, 04:30:30 am »

Yeah, they have. Well, previous worldgen cookbooks are still around. 27 pages in 43.03, 13 pages in 42.06, 37 pages in 40.24. Ah, though don't expect anything other than geography (minus possibly evilness) to match.

In fact, I'd recommend you search in them for your volcano+river. Those two features are PITA to find 1 tile from each other, so I won't aim to produce them now, though I recall vjek managed even 2x1 river+volcano. (Or you could use PatrikLundell's tools - biomemanipulator to make a river run through world's tile, then regionmanipulator to make it run next to the volcano. Or alternatively, find a river, and plant a volcano right then and there(might need one magma pipe in the one of the 16x16 embark squares, I guess).)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2018, 07:04:54 am »

Using the tools (plus make_volcano_here posted above) you can get what you want:
- Make a river with the Biome Manipulator (or select an embark tile that already has one)
- Use the Biome Manipulator to change the geo biome(s) to contain the desired minerals (a sand desert should give you sand from the start)
- Use make_volcano_here to plunk down a volcano (no magma pipe required. In fact, the script will refuse to place a volcano if any other feature is present in that mid level tile to prevent wonkiness [I tried to place one on top of a candy spire, and no spire appeared, although the volcano did]. A river is a feature, by the way, so if you insist on running a river in the volcano's tile you'd have to adjust the river after placing the volcano).
- Use the Region Manipulator to adjust the river (although you can probably place the volcano by the river in the previous step instead).
- Use the Region Manipulator to flatten the region (all of it set to the world tile's elevation).

Keep your fingers in check and embark without changing focus from the region, as that will destroy region dependent features (including moving the volcano "randomly").

vjek, who created the earlier threads, spent a lot of effort providing embarks on request. However, vjek now makes only cameo visits on the forum, and the void left hasn't been filled.

RetSpline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2018, 04:46:25 pm »

Years ago I remember reading some resources on creating fairly sheer cliff faces that were really helpful in creating the type of embark I like. I find that I often just dig a 3x3 block of vertical stairs or at best dig into the side of a mountain at the edge of the map and loop back around to the middle. I really prefer the entranceway of the old school 2d dwarf fortresses.

Anyways, any advice on options for creating more sheer cliff faces would be grand and I'll keep looking for the thread I read in the past.

Something like a 4x6 (or heck I've got a nicer pc now, 5x8?) embark that pretty much goes straight from cliffside to flat plains/forest would be ideal. One problem I remember occasionally having in the past was getting a lot of ugly 1-map-tile sized towers that dropped down to ground level around the edges then went back up to full height. Avoiding that would be good as well.

ewilkinson413

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2018, 06:02:46 pm »

I am looking for an embark with the following features:
embark size: 4x4
some surface trees
stream or river
biome temperature: temperate
sand
flux
iron ore
metal ore
gold ore
candy
living dwarven civ
neighbor: goblins
neighbor: humans
neighbor: elves
either type of volcano
three caverns
biome alignment: some good

TYIA!

(i asked for a similar one for v43, but im having trouble getting it to work with the updated LNP)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:12:18 pm by ewilkinson413 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2018, 05:13:45 am »

Hm, what's the problem? I know that Sanctume has used it in .44 in his Vault project, so it can be generated similarly.

You definitely won't get history same between .44 and .43 and evil/good may change when they're not pigeonholed, but if it's something like "worldgen won't find the parameters" that's not a problem one can solve with more parameters.

Also, just in case you don't know, you can import saves from .43 to .44. You won't get worldgen artifacts and legendary migrants this way though, and getting display cases and pedastals needs some hacking and raw editing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:16:51 am by Fleeting Frames »

ewilkinson413

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2018, 11:26:36 am »

It's actually not a problem with the parameters, my bad

As soon as I embark, it crashes. Just to make sure, I generated a world with the defaults (but short history), but that crashed too

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2018, 10:57:30 am »

I've finally come up with a volcano making script (the crashing I suffered were completely unrelated).

Holy crap. This changes everything.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2018, 11:19:34 am »

Holy crap. This changes everything.
The logic has been incorporated into the Region Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.msg7454345#msg7454345.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2018, 01:15:12 pm »

Hey, Urist, what would you do if you had a million DFHack scripts?

I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two volcanoes at the same time.

Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2018, 04:37:05 pm »

Congratulations.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2018, 05:12:06 pm »

The logic has been incorporated into the Region Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.msg7454345#msg7454345.
That... is fantastic.  Well done!

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2018, 09:54:25 pm »

Coming back to the game after many years it's amazing to see how much control we have over the game now! Although I'm disappointed, previously the forums were flooded with cool and different embarks but it seems those types of posts have really dried up. Even the dedicated websites for sharing embarks and the subreddit have gone dead. It's a shame because seeing a good embark posted here, and the ideas it would inspire, was one of my primary drives for playing.

If I could make a request then for a reasonably flat 2x2 embark with, if at all possible, a brook/river and volcano on the surface and as many other features as possible (sand/iron/steel precursors etc)

Noticing the exact same thing. Can scroll through for pages without a single param set.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2018, 04:18:29 pm »

Anyone know if/where the non-advanced worldgen is kept, so I have a starting point for modifying those?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15