Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Military Bugs  (Read 39057 times)

garland

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Military Bugs
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 03:24:14 am »

I've been having a little trouble pinning this one down, but it's certainly something to do with the military and it's causing hard crashes which is quite demotivating.
  • Assigned a bookkeeper & arsenal dwarf to organise inventories and equip the squad.
  • Organised the squad of 7 dwarves, half set to crossbows, the others to misc. melee.
  • Standard leather uniform, only alteration is the melee changed to ranged for the crossbow users.
  • Set their ammo to bolts only.
  • Set a schedule with only 5 dwarves active at a time.
  • Gave the crossbow users the Hunting job for a little while so they'd equip quivers.
  • Assigned a barracks and archery range for the squad to train in, they both occupy the same floorspace.
Et voilá, the squad seem to organise themselves, and train correctly as far as I can tell.
After an unspecified time though, the game just crashes, it looks like it's during one of the changes of shifts while a dwarf is going back to his normal job from training or vice versa.
The crash is in the exact same place everytime, on my first fortress is was just as a job-change was announced. On my second, it's a short time after a 'No migrants' message, with no specified announcement at the time of crash.

It's usually some time after the formation of the squad. I do seem to get a lot of equipment mismatch messages during this period aswell as the arsenal dwarf does his business.

If I reload and ignore squad creation/schedule designation etc. and deviate in no other way aside from that, it doesn't suffer with the crash.

Sorry this is terribly vague, it's time consuming to test it. Will post more info. if i can pinpoint a little more accurately what's going on.

I'm using the Mayday distribution of 0.31.03 and also used the Therapist to organise a lot of the skills, I manually assigned Hunting ingame due to reading about a possible bug involving that.

Edit: Oops I've just realised this is a thread for 31.01, terribly sorry, if a mod would be so kind as to delete this or move to a more appropriate thread it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:26:19 am by garland »

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 08:17:23 am »

I think I've got that one figured out. I had an immigrant with knife skill, and a steel dagger from a thief, so I assigned that to him -> crash shortly afterwards. Completely repeatable. Seems to happen with all foreign weapons. Hence you sometimes also get crashes if you have individual choice weapons assigned, since some dwarves will attempt to pick up a foreign weapon. Also why you get a crash at shift change when dwarves go to grab gear.

garland

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 10:10:30 am »

Ah, could've been why one of my fortresses was crashing, but the other is too young, definitely don't have any foreign weapons yet, just a small selection of iron crossbow's, silver short swords, spears, maces & axes.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 03:46:07 pm »

Just posted this on the bugtracker, a military equip workaround, hope it's useful:

I may have found a simpler workaround that actually deletes the duplicated pieces of equipment - no need to reform the entire military.
  If you check (m)military - (e)equip - (P)Pri/Assignments you see every individual piece of equipment assigned to each squad position - here you can actually see the multiples of equipment that have been assigned. Unfortunately you can't delete them from this screen. You have to specifically assign the duplicated equipment on the (e) equip screen, before deleting it. This will remove the assignment from the Pri/Assignments page, and the duplicate should get dropped.
 In summary, my new workaround is to:
- identify the duplicate equipment on the Pri/Assignments page (via the military/equip menu).
- On the equip menu, assign the duplicated item to the dwarf "specifically", by finding the correct item in the list.
- Delete the assignment you just made. The duplicate should now disappear from the dwarf's equipment complement on the Pri/Assignments page, and the dwarf should drop the item.

eliddell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

Since registering with the bug tracker seems to be about as workable as carrying water in a -pig tail sieve- at the moment (yes, I did try), can somebody who can get into the thing tell me whether anyone else with 0.31.04 has reported getting a crash every time they try to create a squad (specifically, when trying to select armour from the first screen that comes up after m -> c)? It may be a Linux-only problem.

The console says, oh-so-helpfully:
Code: [Select]
*** buffer overflow detected ***: ./dwarfort.exe terminated
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib32/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x48)[0xf7878b98]
/lib32/libc.so.6[0xf7876c80]
./dwarfort.exe[0x8446944]
[0x1]

. . . plus about thirty lines of memory map. I'm running the amd64 version of Gentoo Linux.

As you can imagine, this is an extremely frustrating bug. I've had to turn off sieges because I have no easy way to kill goblins, and we won't even get into what happens when I try to explore a cavern layer. Two forts in two different worlds lost so far. :(

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

My axedwarf has an iron axe, but no matter how many times I order him to change to a steel one, she doesn't change it :<

I've even tried deleting the iron axe from the equipment menu, but she just keeps holding on to it.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.06] Military Bugs
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 12:14:44 am »

This is with v0.31.06.

Took a peasant out of her squad/the military to stop her being miserable, hoping to give her something more interesting to do like smoothing floors  ::)  and she now refuses to do anything but the individual training in the barracks.

Also, I've set up a custom 'uniform' that basically forces the cadets to use all three variations of training weapon... however they hold all three in one hand at once. I only set it up like this to stop new recruits choosing mining picks as their weapon of choice and thus gaining 'free' mining skill (sploity) and now they're possibly getting three skills for the price of one.

Does anyone know if the 'weapon of choice' thing is based on personal preferences, current skill levels (highest being preferred for further training for example) or whether it's just based on whatever the best unassigned weapon in the fortress is?

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 03:34:22 pm »

Edit:

Got my minions to pick up bows and quivers, but they flat out refuse to acquire ammo.
Yes i have assigned them a supply on the military screen.
But they will not pick up ammo for training or when doing military tasks, this led to them BEATING AN ALLIGATOR TO DEATH WITH THEIR BOWS.

This bug i'm afraid basically prevents me from enjoying the game properly till its fixed, i'm a castle builder and castles need archers to kill goblins.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:48:01 am by darkevilme »

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 02:00:33 am »

Wow. This bug has been a problem since April? That sucks.  :(

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 08:44:02 am »

Edit:

Got my minions to pick up bows and quivers, but they flat out refuse to acquire ammo.
Yes i have assigned them a supply on the military screen.
But they will not pick up ammo for training or when doing military tasks, this led to them BEATING AN ALLIGATOR TO DEATH WITH THEIR BOWS.

This bug i'm afraid basically prevents me from enjoying the game properly till its fixed, i'm a castle builder and castles need archers to kill goblins.

Someone posted on the forum that this "ammo bug" is due to bolts IN BINS not being retrievable. I haven't had an opportunity to test if this is true, but I thought it worth checking for those who playstyles are crossbow heavy.

I don't usually have an issue getting ammo to HUNTERS, but then, I'm always converting my extra bone to bone bolts for them. They aren't as good as metal bolts, but they are effectively infinite in supply, thanks to ranching and hunting (and frequent goblin mount crop harvests).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 06:01:16 am »

Two annoying little bugs; well, one isn't really annoying. Might not even be a bug. And the other may be a problem with my PC, not a bug.

One: The second military squad that I formed don't seem to be activating. They're in the barracks practicing individual training, but none of them have changed their tiles to the military dwarf form (as in, they're not colored in). Is this intended? Will they eventually change their tiles as they get more skilled? It's not that big a deal, though, as long as they're training up.

Two: I get a lot of slow-down in combat situations. I have around 40 dorfs in my fort as of now. When one went berserk, it took my squad about 4 days to kill him (which is also an example of how badly nerfed wrestling is). For the second half of that period, though, the game started to lag heavily. Another example; two of my dwarves have begun to spar (in the first squad), and since they started my game has been lagging again. I'm using a Windows 7 laptop. It's nothing to do with the amount of dorfs in the fort - when no-one is fighting, the game runs perfectly. I'll try and test this further and see if I can root out the problem, if there is one.
(In both situations a guy with a mace has been involved; he's the only one with a weapon. The rest are wrestlers, if that's any help).

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:49:43 am by gumball135 »
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

PecosBill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 12:04:13 am »

Seeing a lot of these in 31.08 too.

I think every time I try to change a dwarf's weapons he just picks it up without dropping his old one.  I have one dwarf apparently dual wielding crossbows (one in each hand) while also holding an axe, a training axe and a shield.

I can't get any of them to pick up any bolts for their crossbows.  I guess it might be that bin bug.  They have quivers and they are assigned to use metal bolts in combat, of which I have plenty, but they never pick up any.

They also rarely (never?) seem to spar with each other.  I had two standing in the same barracks training, both apparently solo sparring rather than moving 5 spaces to spar with each other.

I love the new military system, though.  Can't wait to see the kinks worked out of it.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2010, 01:00:15 pm »

Not sure why but, this is the second time i've had this bug unless this is supposed to happen. I can't assign any dwarf to that second copy.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5932/2militiacaptains.jpg

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2010, 02:31:16 pm »

Not sure why but, this is the second time i've had this bug unless this is supposed to happen. I can't assign any dwarf to that second copy.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5932/2militiacaptains.jpg

There are always more captains - every squad has one.
You should be able to assign another captain from another squad in the military screen.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:04 am »

What the... I hate this new military. I have barracks with two tiles entrance, and when there is an ambush and I give an order to kill the goblins those stupid broken dwarves are dancing in the entrance, like they could not go near the goblins. I tried to make other entrances, but nooo, they're just dancing near the barracks, stupid broken dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4