Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: [SG] Arisen  (Read 5647 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Arisen
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 10:08:22 am »

Quote from: Who To Visit
Bult: 0
Sirrin: 1
Kraham: 0
Nathan: 0
Layli: 2

I know we have more players here

Well, only two who've ever actually posted here before. 2:1 is 'enough' of a majority. I may work on an update later, but I'm fine with an upset if people suddenly change their minds.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2020, 02:02:58 pm »

I vote we go see Layli.
Hmm... Layli’s my vote for first visit, with Sirrin as a close second. I mean, technical stuff was our thing.
Gonna put down my vote to speak with Layli, once we're ready.
Vote for person to visit: Sirrin

You briefly debate whether you want to see Sirrin or Layli, but in the end decide on Layli. If your first visit is going to be a point of pride, and points of pride can get turned into material gains like Carlisle says, having some favors with that world can’t hurt.

Carlisle nods when you tell him you’d like to see Layli. “Fair choice,” he says, starting to lead the way down to the broadcast tower. “We can get you set up with a network account while we’re there, which will save some time. She’ll be properly chuffed to see you too. Layli has a thing against crowds, but she still likes interacting with and being liked. It’s one of the reasons she does a fine job administering our social networks. Aside from the occasional gross invasion of privacy.”

You shoot Carlisle a sideways glance and just gives you a ‘yeah-that’s-what-I-said-innit’ look. “We set up a lot of our systems to imitate what we had in life, at least a little. Layli did a lot of the architectural legwork, and it’s a bit of an open secret that she has private backdoors into everything. Short version, don’t put anything online you’re not OK with letting her see. I’ve never known her to directly use it against someone, but that woman always knows too damn much.”

The rest of the walk you spend engaged in a few more questions with Carlisle, and he seems to answer the best he can. He also spends some time pointing out various structures in this area. Power for everything in the settlement is maintained through a combination of solar power, passive field accumulators, fuel cells, and emergency capacitors. All of it’s salvaged from the gigapolis, and Carlisle notes that power is one of the more valuable things that the runners can bring back.

The broadcast tower is, like everything else, a lovingly made construction of scrap and native stone. There’s a single story building at it’s base, and the spire itself rises the center of that structure. Judging by the various antennas and dishes, this thing should be able to receive and broadcast on a spectrum of frequencies -- though you’d guess that not everything is active. You can see the angular black spikes of a grid broadcast cluster, but, conjuring your phone, you still don’t detect any active grids in the area. It’s possible it’s a planned addition, or something they used to have here and lost.

Carlisle conjures his own phone between thumb and pointer, tapping out a quick message, before pushing open the door to the broadcast center and motioning for you to follow him.

The lobby of the small broadcast center is surprisingly homey, if a bit chillier than you expected. The room is a sharp square with an exit in each wall. The ones to your left and right are curtained off with green dyed plastic sheeting, while the one directly ahead of you has a metal door. The floor is deeply carpeted, and there are mismatched chairs set up for people to wait at. In the middle of the room is a simple metal desk with a holographic terminal and a dwarf seated behind it. The dwarf glances up at Carlisle, bushy black mustache bobbing as he nods, and then ruffling magnificently as he gives you a double take.

“Oi, you brought the new fish?” The dwarf asks Carlisle, giving the big orc a conspiratorial wink. “I hadn’t heard thing’s had gotten so bad between you two that you needed to resort to bribery.”

“Nah, he actually decided to come here first of his own free will. Probably means he’s one of you technically inclined folks, as if putting holes in things wasn’t work enough for an honest man.” Carlisle shakes his head in feigned resignation. “Sarill, Thaddeus. Thaddeus, Sarill.”

Thaddeus, the dwarf, stands, blowing out his mustache and extending a hand over the desk to shake with you. “Eh, everybody calls me Thud, and hear you me, you don’t have to spend your time behind a weapon to make a life putting holes in things. Pleasure’s mine, I imagine that biggin’ has your day planned out, but if you are interested in getting in on our projects or just sitting in while we make sparks, just drop in and let one of us know.”

The dwarf gives your hand a firm shake, then releases it and looks back at Carlisle. “You seein’ the boss?”

“If she’s in.”

“Naw, she went sociallin’ with a whole gaggle of folks. Heard there was a new tanning place opening up.”

Carlisle gives Thud a single, bushy, arched eyebrow.

Thud chuckles. “Of course she’s in. Go on.” The dwarf goes back to his work as Carlisle moves toward the door at the back of the room, then steps and turns back over his shoulder. “You did call ahead, right? She hates it when you don’t call ahead.”

“More or less,” Carlisle replies, pushing open the door and holding it open for you to follow.

As you step through and Carlisle shuts the door behind, you can see Thaddeus puff out his mustache again and hear a faint, rueful, repetition. “More or less...”

The air grows noticeably colder as Carlisle leads you up a short flight of metal steps, up into a round room that seems one part engineer’s workshop, two parts design studio, and one part lounge. The floor here is metal grating, with either glass or plastic backing just beneath that, allowing you to see down into what looks like a server room below. Large sections of the grated floor have been covered up with plush, brightly colored rugs. On your right is the workshop area, cut off by plastic sheeting, but with a plethora of fine electrical design tools clearly visible. A modern circuit printer, articulated soldering kit, and an infusing board press are among the few items you can immediately identify. Beyond that, in the opposite half of the room, are several chairs and screen-easels, large glass plates with haptic pens connected and faintly glowing drawings still in place. You’re a bit far to make out details, but it looks like the user was storyboarding something, with numerous ‘crumpled’ sheets littering the bottom of the screen.

In the center of the room is an interface chair, reclined and active, with sensors delicately spidering over the body of a moon-pale human female in an immersion visor. For a moment, you think she has the peculiar monochromism of the watcher, but she does have striking color. For one, you can see that her veins are faintly blue, and her hair, though cut in a short bob, has been dyed a deep lavender, while her nails are similarly painted. She’s wearing a green and grey patterned robe that’s somewhere between bathrobe and kimono, and rather immodestly open in the front. 

Carlisle sets his feet, as though preparing for a wrestling match. “Hey, Layli, I-”

“Didn’t call ahead first. Again.” The woman in the chair responds, completely unsurprised by Carlisle despite having her visor fully engaged.

“I sent you a message.”

“Not the same. Also, you sent it, what? Twenty seconds before you walked in?” Layli tsks her tongue, giving you a full view of very long and very sharp looking canines. “Ten?”

“I also talked to Thaddeus. That had to have burned at least a whole minute.”

“You know, I’ve got a full library of digitized material on how to be a good neighbor. Now, it’s meant for six year-olds, but It should be something for you to cut your teeth on. Oh wait,” Layli pauses for effect, not lowering her visor but putting one violet fingernail to her lips. “Probably wouldn’t work with those fuckhuge chompers. Guess you’re just hopeless.”

Carlisle Nods. “Yeah, bein' big is a problem with a lot of parts of my body.”

Layli shakes her head in disgust, then suddenly smiles. Popping the visor up and leaning out of the interface, causing the sensors to retract immediately. “That line is going in.”

“Dirty pool,” Carlisle says with a wince.

“No more than y--” Layli breaks off when she, for the first time, notices you. She grins at you, looking you up and down, then glances back to Carlisle. “You brought me a present?”

Carlisle shrugs. “Actually his idea. Sarill, this is Layli. Layli, this is Sarill.”

Layli looks back to you and nods her head, as though to an invisible beat. She looks you back up and down again, then gives a low whistle. “Bi-shie…” she finally says, drawing both syllables out. “So, as the duly appointed immortal in charge of maintaining our communications, the sovereign keeper of the power grid, and high lady of all digitized materials, what do I owe the pleasure of having your visit, New-Sarill-Guy?”

“Oh,” she adds suddenly. “Can I take your picture as well? Just as a reference later.” 
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2020, 02:27:34 pm »

”Yes. I came here for a network ID. I also have questions. One of which is, if the Internet can’t die, how do we have it here? How was the Internet here made?”

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2020, 02:55:59 pm »

”Yes. I came here for a network ID. I also have questions. One of which is, if the Internet can’t die, how do we have it here? How was the Internet here made?”

Layli gives you a shrug, rummaging through the pockets of her bathrobe for a few moments before coming back out with a small sheet of paper. "Wifi password. Already heard there was a new arrival, so I did the legwork before you even got close. Log in and it should recognize the new device and assign you a unique ID based on your MAC. Now, since your questions don't make a lot of sense otherwise, I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're not the networking type."

" 'The Internet' is not a thing, it wasn't a thing when you were alive, and I want to whack those cute little elf-ears off for you even thinking about it that way. In life you may have connected to an internet, which was an emergent system of networked machines, namespace tables, address look-ups, and routers, but that's not really important right now -- nothing like that exists here. Maybe, in a few centuries or millennia, enough other settlements will get civilized enough for us to make it worth trying to set up one, but for now we rely on our own intranet." Layli points down at the servers below. "That is how we have an intranet. The buildings in the ruins contain all the shit they should, just without the necessary connections to any utilities. That means it's just a matter for our boys and girls who like to rip stuff up to find the right places, extract the tech, hump it back here. Then my little family MacGuyvers it into our power grid, sweet talks the software to work across a broad spectrum of devices and browsing applications from various otherwheres, and then it's just a matter of getting the broadcast/receive loop in place."

"What you see here may seem limited, but it's a shining fucking star compared to what you find elsewhere. We've been working on getting a true grid powered up, buuuuut that's been slow going. For the last seventy years." She sighs, rising from her interface chair and stretching. "We'll get it one of these centuries. It's just pretty low on the rest of the town's cost/benefit list."

She conjures her own phone, then extends it so it's a large rectangle between the thumb and forefinger of both her hands. She lines it up with you for the photograph. After a second, and probably a picture of three, she gets a wicked grin. "Say, you mind stepping just a little bit closer to Carlisle?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2020, 03:02:00 pm »

“Thanks for the explanation. Why do you want a picture 0f me closer to Carlisle?”

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2020, 03:03:50 pm »

"Reference images for art. I need a... scale representation."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2020, 03:09:47 pm »

Eyebrow goes up.
"Are you going to try to tell him I was his wife a few decades down the line?"
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2020, 03:24:36 pm »

Eyebrow goes up.
"Are you going to try to tell him I was his wife a few decades down the line?"

"What?" Layli seems genuinely shocked by the question.

"Ah, important point," Carlisle rumbles from beside you. "Since memories are all that we have, attempting to lie about who someone was, or the relations they held, is a pretty damning crime. It's difficult to come up with a similar offense, but I treat it like I'd treat a predator with a bag of date drugs." Carlisle grimaces, clearly remembering some, or perhaps many, unpleasant events.

Layli nods, the earlier wicked smile gone. "Look, I'm a terrible person, don't get me wrong, but gaslighting here is how people actually fully lose their fucking shit and decide it's a good idea to walk into the ocean." She sighs, rubbing at her neck. "All cards on the awkward table, I've been working on a comic involving a character who closely resembles, but is completely distinct from, our good Agent Carlisle here. I've been having a devil of a time with the rookie that he's showing the ropes to, and since you were standing right there, I had the idea of trying to switch the rookie's gender and draw you in.  You're the perfect pair of tsundere gruff orc detective and bishie elf rookie who just wants to be their best."

Carlisle pinches his nose. The comic is clearly not news to him.

"Sooo...... About stepping closer?"

((Edit: I picked up Sarill's gender as male from an earlier post from Glass that mentioned 'his'. If this is in error, let me know.))
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 03:26:28 pm by The Adversary »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2020, 03:30:17 pm »

(I just tend to leave stuff generic and let others fill that part in as they please, but I do tend to default to imagining characters I make as male. If anybody else has a strong opinion on the topic, go with them; otherwise, male is fine.)

"Alright. And, ah, sorry."
Move closer to Carlisle for the reference picture.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2020, 03:37:24 pm »

(I just tend to leave stuff generic and let others fill that part in as they please, but I do tend to default to imagining characters I make as male. If anybody else has a strong opinion on the topic, go with them; otherwise, male is fine.)

+1
Maybe asking the reason would have been better than assuming things

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2020, 03:38:27 pm »

Maybe asking the reason would have been better than assuming things
You asked the reason. She was evasive. :p

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »

+1

You do as requested, and Layli take another picture. Her gleeful smile returning while Carlisle tolerates being a part of this.

"So, could you, uh... Lay your head on his shoulder?" She asks, the impish expression returning.  "I wouldn't ask you to normally, but-"

"Layli..." Carlisle growls warningly.

"BUT! Since you mortally offended me with your completely spurious and defamatory accusations, I feel I'm justified in asking for just a wee smidge more."

"They're new, and didn't know. Besides, I don't think you've ever been mortally offended in your life."

"This is true, however, and this is important," Layli says, still angling her phone for a better picture. "I'm dead now, and Nathan is always preaching about how this is the time to acquire new skills, so I'm learning to be mortally offended. You're one of the old guard, you want me to learn and grow, don'cha?"

Carlisle looks like he wants to pinch his nose again. Instead he turns back to you. "You can say no. Layli will take a mile if she can get an inch, but she will take no for an answer. If you do say yes, you'll probably be on her good side for a while, and..." He looks back to Layli, a determined expression settling in. "You're making me a part of this, so what do I get for being in your photo op?"

"Well, I mean, you brought the offender in here, and you didn't tech him better, so I think that..." She trails off, lowering her phone as Carlisle continues to dead-eye her. "Fine, what do you want?"

"The drone network you promised me. Last year."

Layli groans, tapping her foot. "But that suuuuuucks. Almost none of those things are from the same reality. Some of them use RF bands, others use ley connections, and some of them appear to be networked to a swarm controller that wasn't even recovered with them and we'll have to fabricate from scratch.

"Seems fair then," Carlisle says. "Since you don't seem to realize how much it 'suuuuucks' to have a character that so closely resembles me in your now... What was the word you used for the comic?"

"Yaoi?" She cocks her head. "No, I just thought that, didn't say it. Tsundere? 'Cuz that's just you, not the comic as a whole."

"... I honestly don't want to know. We have a deal?"

"Fine, fine. I'll bump it up the list. So, Sarill, you gonna do me the kindness of laying your head on Carlisle's shoulder?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2020, 04:22:17 pm »

Do as requested

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2020, 04:28:55 pm »

"Can you promise it won't be yaoi? Please? I will 100% do this so long as it's not going to be that."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2020, 04:31:22 pm »

"Can you promise it won't be yaoi? Please? I will 100% do this so long as it's not going to be that."
((question, what is yaoi and why don’t we want it?))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6