Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coolest Miner Ever  (Read 597 times)

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coolest Miner Ever
« on: April 01, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

So I'm building the citadel of Greatwater, a trade fortress and castle on the banks of a wide river.  The first spring, though while I'm still trying to bust through the aquifer, I have my miners build a moat around the fort. However, there are space constraints, and due to a flub on my part, my fortress leader, one Likot Overoiled, Talented Miner, extends the left arm of the moat in such a way that it opens into the main hall of the fort on Z-1. Oh well. Losing is fun, right?

Not this time, universe!

Not really expecting anything to come of it, I designated a row of tiles for channeling right before the main corridor hits my farms, food supply, and barracks (and four of my seven dwarves), hoping half-heartedly to drain the flood into the aquifer and save at least half the fort. Expected it to fail abysmally, I then sit back to watch the destruction.

Litok and Sketch (my other miner), fly like Armok-damned *thunderbolts* the long way around to the lower level and begin furiously digging out a channel and a stairwell as the flood thunders closer and closer to their position, flooding my general purposes storeroom (which contained my hunter's hunting gear, some empty cages and exactly nothing else worth mentioning).  The two miners dig down one level in a flurry of spraying dirt and flying picks. Then another. And just as the flood starts lapping at their toes, they strike a channel into the aquifer and it drains away completely harmlessly, leaving behind a lovely spray of harmless mist.

End result:
Dwarven casualties: Zero.
Property damage: one stockpile full of leather armor and empty cages, (which was later recovered) and one hallway, which now has a wet floor.
Environmental impact: There's now a misty waterfall in the middle of my main hall, which has all my dwarves ecstatic.

I'm putting up a pair of statues to those two.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest Miner Ever
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

Sounds like you managed to beat the system.  Congratulations!

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

sounds like a movie where everyone is saved in the last second possible  :) awesome!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

uberness man thats freaking awsome i would like lavish them with adamantine items and give them own multi floor houses
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

I don't think there's any adamantium on the map, but I might have to build them towers and get them steel picks. It'll have to wait until I actually have stone, let alone metal, but it's on the List.

A screenshot of the aftermath:

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Oh man, you should have recorded that, so future generations would be able to watch and be amazed.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Here's an idea: Go to your raw file "matgloss_metal.txt" and give platinum the [DIGGER] token. Then make them some platinum picks studded in rubies, emeralds and sapphires. When you're done, just remove the [DIGGER] token from platinum. You'll still have your platinum picks to commemorate the event.