Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213684 times)

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

Eeeeeeexcellent.

Still can't make Bones or Shells with reactions, which is my only complaint as I've not hit any major bugs with my setup. I hope that's fixed after all the big stuff is.

I can't wait to see what happens next. This is a gloorious update. I love how fast its running!

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:42 pm »

The new build works on my dads newer macbook but not on my mac mini. I'm running version 10.3.9 which 40d worked fine on, does the new version not work on this?
Do you have an Intel Mac mini, or one of the original PowerPC minis?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2010, 04:12:23 pm »

It's freaking out over the sizes. When fullscreen it just turns the lower and right part of my computer black, and if I hit F11, it flips out, streching the game off screen into lala land.

Any body else having this problem? It's pretty game-breaking for me, and I really don't want to go back to .03... It will nag me very badly.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »

Every is reporting better FPS performance, but once you reach a certain size for your fortress your FPS will drop very quickly.

I was told this is due to the fact that the calculations being done for pathing is still being used on the first core of dual drives and the second core is being used for graphic generation.

I am not sure how much this is true, but I guess reaching 140 Dwarfs to get a King to come will always push you down to 15 FPS with normal activities occurring (Dual Core 2.4 Ghz 3Gigz Ram Vists 32).

Im currently playing both .03 and .04. I am hoping to discover any critical issues that have yet to be reported, but the only issues that have occurred have already been reported. I have yet to get the issue of crashing during game play within 15 minutes or the "GPU" Issue.

/huggles
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

PiCroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2010, 05:05:00 pm »

I took a quick search but couldn't find any mention of it so I'll aks: has the hunters not hunting bug been addressed? It seems the fishing labour works again, but I don't have a hunter yet so I was wondering if anyone who previously had problems getting their hunters to hunt are having any more success?

Duke Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:38 pm »

notepad
Windows users, consider using wordpad instead, I think it's much more reliable at conserving the line endings and the encoding. No guarantees though.
That's an acceptable workaround, but the correct (and ridiculously low priority) fix is for each platform's version to correctly parse it's own native CR/LF variation, in addtion to whatever format the default file is in (IMO).

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2010, 05:25:37 pm »

So, okay. 0.31.04 Adventure mode has become unplayable. It just processes, for minutes and not even finishing, a one step of my adventurer in not so large elven site in a smallest world.

At old 40d16, in such place the game just works beautifuly fast. Also, Dwarf Mode in 31.04 also gets slow.

Settings 1:
[PRINT:STANDARD]
[G_FPS:10]
[VSYNC:NO]
[TEXTURE_PARAM:NEAREST]

In 40d16, it's just slow. FPS around 10-15.
In 31.04, game occasionaly becomes unresponsive for minute/two/five, before unfreezing. Then, something ram-heavy occurs, and there goes another few minutes...

Settings 2:

[PRINT:PARTIAL:2]
[G_FPS:10]
[VSYNC:NO]
[TEXTURE_PARAM:NEAREST]

In 40d16, my dwarves zap through 91-bodied fortress, with FPS hovering around 20-30.
In 31.04, not only it lags, but the dwarves leave trails of themselves (like, a line of red-faces, but only one dwarven kid, on the front of that line). FPS going from as low as 5 to 50. At pause, it's 100 (the cap).

Help? OpenGL version for 31.04 works completely different (and wrong) than those from 40d# line.

And it sucks. Even non-OpenGL, 31.03 (without OpenGL) works more smoothly.

On other hand, my PC is damn old (10 years), and I assume that 1.3GHz CPU, 256mb of RAM, and a 64Mb graphics card (Nvidia) is not much...

EDIT: Sorry for inconsistency and typos. It's past midnight here and my eyes bleed needles.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »

i think the mud/pond is broken in 0.31.04 i irrigated via pond and the mud was just partly there

it looked like that:
Code: [Select]
oooxo
oxoox
oxxxo
ooxoo
ooooo

o==pile'o'mud
x== without mud

but the oddest thing is.. the descripton of the tile said... "muddied smthg floor" and sometimes there were piles of mud on that tile.. and sometimes not

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2010, 05:37:13 pm »

Edit 4: Even with 7 idle dwarves at embark, i get abysmal Framerates (~40, interface jerkyness almost unbearable) compared to 200+ on 31.03. Why do you hate my computer?

You don't have any idea of just how much I envy you that your computer is good enough for you to be able to consider 40 fps abysmal. Sure, on my desktop, I usually get around 250 fps too and that's good, but on my laptop, 25 is the norm (even in the previous version). And it's still fairly playable, I'd say. I also haven't experienced anything that could be described as "interface jerkyness", maybe it's an unrelated issue.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2010, 05:45:13 pm »

For the people who're having trouble getting DF to display across the entire window (without the black space), try setting FPS_CAP:0, G_FPS_CAP:0, and/or ARB_SYNC:NO.  For whatever reason these settings seem to interfere with DF using the entire window. It seems to be somewhat dependent on what print mode you're using. (Example: ARB_SYNC:YES was ok with PRINT_MODE:STANDARD, but with PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER I got the "letterbox" effect again.)

Yes, thanks for that... setting FPS_CAP:0 allowed linux to go fullscreen.
Also, FRAME_BUFFER gives a blank screen (but game seems to be running anyway) and TEXT mode doesn't launch at all.
(By the bye, is your avatar Kira from vandal hearts?)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:43 pm »

That's weird... apparently it only shows up for managers.  Okay, go to Manage Columns, add "version" to "View Issues Columns", save the settings, go back to View Issues, and click "Product Version" to sort by version.

That's odd.  I could see it just fine, and I'm just a reporter, and I haven't messed with any such thing.  It's in the second row, fourth column...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2010, 06:03:55 pm »

Getting exactly the same problem here. Launch the game with graphics on = crashes as soon as I try loading/creating a world/entering the arena. Launch it with graphics off = no problem at all.

Screenshot of what terminal showed within:

Precisely the same error on mine. MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9400M. Hmm, maybe I should try switching over to the 9400M GT and see if have the same problem. I'll try that a bit later. Envious of the dynamic switching on the new MBPs...

The Jackal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

Right.. sorry, GRAPHICS:ON is not going to work. I wrote the code without reference to an actual working DF, and the graphical output was one thing I couldn't replicate.

I'll get it fixed though, probably on Wednesday, so for now just keep it off?

There you go Martin.
"When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

"Humans are weak... but we want to live... even if we're wounded... or tortured... we feel the pain..."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »

yay

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2010, 06:21:20 pm »

I'm curious about the variations in performance for 31.04. My impression from reading this thread is that some people are experiencing considerable speed boosts, but others are actually getting worse performance in the new version.

I seem to be in the latter category. As a test, I tried a fresh embark in both versions, on a world generated with 31.03. Same 4x4 embark square in each case, with simulation framerate unlocked and graphics rate locked at 20. The results:

DF31.03: ~260 to ~280 fps
DF31.04: ~220 to ~250 fps

My system specs:
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz
EVGA GTX280
4GB RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit

It's not a huge drop, and I haven't tried the new version on an already-large fortress yet, but it's still odd to see the numbers going down right off the bat in a release that was supposed to generally improve performance. Does anybody have any idea yet what seems to influence whether you gain or lose speed with the new version?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 55