Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 652534 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The most faaaabulous pikachu
« Reply #3555 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:57 am »

One of the things to do with hacking is cloning. Theoretically you have infinite 6IV dittos once you know how to hack one so trading it for something else such as legit shinies and legends is a good deal. On the other hand I got mine as a gift from someone I knew. As I understand it at least one person got a perfect ditto at some point in XY (as there are ones marked as being caught in xy). From there it is hilariously simple to clone it though it does take 2 systems to do so. Basically once a perfect ditto came up in any community of Pokemon enthusiast that breed competitive Pokemon it quickly becomes that the community has a saturation of them. Of course since it was cloned there is no longer a legit perfect ditto as once you clone a Pokemon both are considered clones (by the community, there isn't any way to tell in game). As far as I am concerned having looked at Thexor's math someone caught a legit perfect ditto within the first week of the game being out (500 days for one person means you only need 500 people to do it in one day and there where many more then that looking for one) and that one was cloned beyond recognition. I would not be surprised to find out that all of the perfect dittos that are up for trade and come from xy have the same OT and ID. My ditto comes from BW and with that getting a perfect ditto was hilariously easy if you wanted to hack it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:53 am »

Imagine if you will...

A 100% accuracy, 100 damage rock move. Earthquake in rock form.

Worlds would end.

Ye gods, Stone Edge is scary enough with its shaky accuracy but high crit chance.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: August 22, 2014, 12:44:03 am »

Just had a fun battle with a random person.  Even though they super out legended me I won pretty well, though I definitely made a few mistakes with Gyrados's attacks and in not resting shuckle before using power split.

JMJW-WWWW-WWW9-96MW

On the positive end, people are still sometimes surprised by facading Luxray and Togekiss is a heinous beast with a troll face.

I was really shocked to see another Mega Gyrados though... Did those suddenly get popular or something?
Nice battle  As I've said over and over if somebody made a pokemon focused on triple battles I would buy it in a heartbeat at almost any cost.  but it's really nice to see high level singles play from time to time.  I'm not sure I could properly compete in that format anymore. 

Odd to see those semi invulnerable moves used so often in singles though.  I thought that was more a doubles and triples thing.  Couldn't an opponent just swap to something tanky or strong to the move on turn 2 like you did there?  Seems like a waste of a moveslot in singles format.

As for Gyarados I've been encountering quite a few of those in ranked triples.  I thought it was the combination of earthquake thrash and ice fang.  But since some famous champion won with one that makes more sense to see a large number of them then.

Where'd you get the hacked Ditto, anyway? I don't really understand why someone with a hacked pokemon would trade for other pokemon, when they could just hack themselves some more?

Also, all the "6 IV" level 30 dittos on the GTS are hilarious.
I have a hacked ditto that I got from wonder trade of all things.  As much as I dislike playing with hacked pokemon it is hard to resist the temptation to breed the thing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:48:06 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:40 am »

Just had a fun battle with a random person.  Even though they super out legended me I won pretty well, though I definitely made a few mistakes with Gyrados's attacks and in not resting shuckle before using power split.

JMJW-WWWW-WWW9-96MW

On the positive end, people are still sometimes surprised by facading Luxray and Togekiss is a heinous beast with a troll face.

I was really shocked to see another Mega Gyrados though... Did those suddenly get popular or something?
Nice battle  As I've said over and over if somebody made a pokemon focused on triple battles I would buy it in a heartbeat at almost any cost.  but it's really nice to see high level singles play from time to time.  I'm not sure I could properly compete in that format anymore. 

Odd to see those semi invulnerable moves used so often in singles though.  I thought that was more a doubles and triples thing.  Couldn't an opponent just swap to something tanky or strong to the move on turn 2 like you did there?  Seems like a waste of a moveslot in singles format.

As for Gyarados I've been encountering quite a few of those in ranked triples.  I thought it was the combination of earthquake thrash and ice fang.  But since some famous champion won with one that makes more sense to see a large number of them then.

Where'd you get the hacked Ditto, anyway? I don't really understand why someone with a hacked pokemon would trade for other pokemon, when they could just hack themselves some more?

Also, all the "6 IV" level 30 dittos on the GTS are hilarious.
I have a hacked ditto that I got from wonder trade of all things.  As much as I dislike playing with hacked pokemon it is hard to resist the temptation to breed the thing.

Yeah, Se Jun Park, the world champion runs a Pachirisu + Gyarados-M combo.

Pachirisu with volt absorb
Nuzzle/Super Fang/Follow Me/something else. Holds a Sitrus berry to mitigate damage, maxed defenses. It's incredibly bulky, managing to shrug off a Rotom-C Leaf Storm and a Salamence Draco Meteor in the yellow.

His Gyarados is a pretty normal Gyarados - ddance, waterfall, and coverage i think.
Pachi's there to redirect burns and status to itself, and tank hits that the other mons can't deal with.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:20 am »

Which basically goes to show that Smogon's ranking system is garbage.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3560 on: August 22, 2014, 02:34:34 am »

Smogon doesn't have a "rating" system. What Smogon has is data on what is most commonly used on the showdown server and they translate that into a ranking based on it. I don't particularly like how people use it but that is a different thing to talk about. Even the titles of the different ranks says exactly what they are and people can't seem to understand it. Over Used is simply the Pokemon that are exactly that on the showdown server. I think the cutoff is something like if your 50% likely to see a Pokemon used in any 20 random matches. It does catch most things in a decent category but there are many instances where the popularity have caused a Pokemon to be higher tiered then it should. The same is true in the reverse because if no one knows how good something is they won't use it enough to rank it up. I would also like to point out that there will never be a rating system which catches all things. Se Jun's choice to pair up Gyrados and Pachirisu suddenly made both of them work quite well but until he did no one knew how powerful it could be. Every Pokemon is what you make of it so if you can make something great out of what is considered a weak Pokemon nothing can predict it till it happens. This is one of the things I like about Pokemon and a number of other systems which are complex and that add new pieces to the mix.

TLDR: Even if Smogon was a system to rate a Pokemons power, which it isn't, no such system could have predicted this
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: August 22, 2014, 02:55:27 am »

Hmm... I wonder if there was a specific ranking system Smogon has exclusively for VGC. Yes... that could just be it. I wonder if it could be this or even this.

Smogon is full of rankings like that. Every single "tier" which you are referring to is packed with these stupid ranking lists.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: August 22, 2014, 04:32:34 am »

Tier wise, it's functionally unable to do anything outside of doubles or triples, hence its low tier.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3563 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »

Hmm... I wonder if there was a specific ranking system Smogon has exclusively for VGC. Yes... that could just be it. I wonder if it could be this or even this.

Smogon is full of rankings like that. Every single "tier" which you are referring to is packed with these stupid ranking lists.
Can you point to where those are made official? Because a thread on smogon does not a smogon ranking system make. (actual question here, I would really like to know if something like that is officially recognized by smogon)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:24 pm »

Read the first line of the first link. Then look at the guy who made the post. Then look at the people responding.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3565 on: August 22, 2014, 07:51:50 pm »

Yes it is the official topic posted by a site staff but where does it say that it is an official ranking system. From what I can tell with the first post it is the place to talk about what people think is where and was made official so there isn't 8 billion copy threads out there with everyone and their cousin having their own thread because clearly everyone else is wrong and Their Pokemon is top of their tier. It is the same reason in the DF Dwarf Mode Discussion sub forum there is a stickied thread called "Face Palm moments you had" or more relevant Toady has a "Future of the Fortress" thread. With anything that people have a lot of opinions on you either need to devote an area to so despite the constant flood of people posting their view the rest of the forum is clean or make a single mod supported thread to discuss it in.

Edit: Also apparently I am falling back into my old habit of run on sentences, sorry for any reading distress this might cause
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:55:35 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: August 22, 2014, 08:04:32 pm »

Tier wise, it's functionally unable to do anything outside of doubles or triples, hence its low tier.
I wouldn't say it's functionably unable to do anything. Every time I've fought one it's been a real pain in the arse. Mostly because of toxic and super fang and setting up walls and such. It's weird in that it combines high speed with good defenses.

I really don't like fighting it for the same reason I don't like fighting luvdisc or shuckle. It's such a pain. I'm sure you know the "oh for fucks sake..." feeling.

But yeah, one earthquake completely wrecks it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: August 22, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »

About the GameStop shenanigans: get me the store location, and I will call them out, and email corporate. That's a good way to damage relations with Nintendo, and GS Corporate will not stand for shit like that. Also, I'll probably hijack a handful of the codes we aren't going to be able to give away (we got something like 200, and have given away about 6 so far,) and distribute them amongst Bay12, because I'm cool like that. Of course, I have to clear it with the boss, but I get the distinct impression that he just wants them gone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: August 22, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »

I wouldn't say it's functionably unable to do anything. Every time I've fought one it's been a real pain in the arse. Mostly because of toxic and super fang and setting up walls and such. It's weird in that it combines high speed with good defenses.

I really don't like fighting it for the same reason I don't like fighting luvdisc or shuckle. It's such a pain. I'm sure you know the "oh for fucks sake..." feeling.

But yeah, one earthquake completely wrecks it.

Also, it's pretty badly taunt-baited.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 463