Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: clonk rage is freeware  (Read 5849 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
clonk rage is freeware
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:48:35 am »

clonk rage is the most recent game in the clonk series to be released as freeware.

as a game clonk is hard to describe.
wikipedia describes it as
Clonk is a computer game developed by RedWolf Design. The game features a mix of the action, real-time strategy and platform game genres. The games of the series are traditionally released as Shareware; however, currently (2013-10-3) all available versions are Freeware. Using the integrated developer mode, experienced players are able to create their own modifications or "extensions" to the game.

In Clonk, the player controls small, humanoid beings - the so-called Clonks - within a two-dimensional, dynamically modifiable landscape using keyboard or mouse. Clonks interact with their surrounding landscape, animals, weather, buildings and objects. The game can be played alone or in multiplayer in split-screen or via local network or Internet. Four different keyboard settings, combined with the option of using a mouse or gamepad, result in allowing up to six players on one computer. The game goal depends on the scenario being played, varying between melees, in which players fight each other, strategical team siege scenarios and cooperative missions.

the gameplay has a similar feeling to teraria or starbound but with a more closed in world. it also has a large range of different scenarios include melles that can last minutes and long settlement challenges or adventure maps that can last several hours.
my favorite aspects of the game are the base building, mining and the quirky combat.

screanshots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the game is also increadably modable with some awsome custom scenarios and object packs such as clonk mars (settle mars with astronauts)
all of which can be found here unfortunately a lot of the custom content is in german only
the controls take a bit to get ussed to but once you do it is an increadable game to play with freinds

Edit: also it has an awsome sound track

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: clonk rage is freeware now
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 02:50:05 am »

oops ignore this

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: clonk rage is freeware
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:09:18 am »

Man, even though I'm pretty terrible at Clonk in general, I've had some really fun times with it. Rage finally going freeware is really nice! Downloading now.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:33:03 am »

I've had plenty of fun with Endeavour in the past and OpenClonk is too combat-oriented for my tastes. Downloading this now.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:27 am »

I rememberp laying Endeavour some time ago... i really couldn't get into it.
It's more or less Lemmings crossed with settlers. The pathfinding was horrible meaning you pretty much had to do everything manually.

But i guess if you can overcome the interface it's a pretty fun game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01:02 am »

This is pretty cool actually I love this game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:08:48 am »

I really disliked the controls when i tried the previously released freeware (Clonk Endeavour i think) , couldn't have fun with those controls making the gameplay more painful than it should have been.

Reading about new controls on the Clonk Rage , i decided to give a try, and the controls are really much better. So in case you had been annoyed by the previous game controls, give a try to the new one.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:33 am »

Except for having tried the new freeware, I'm the same as Robsoie. So this is nifty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:56:40 am »

Really fun to play this with a friend.

Also remember that it was listed as one of the inspirations for KAG.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:51:57 pm »

Anyone have any idea how to run this game in windowed mode? The fullscreen option is permanently checked....

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:49:55 am »

Oh god, this is a great game. HUGE fan of it, and yay, freeware. Don't forget to check out openclonk too, the open source clone.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:53:47 am »

If only the AI and interface were better.....

Such a shame that such a nice game falls on those easily fixed details.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:15:56 am »

Can you play OpenClonk in single player like in Clonk Rage by example ? is there some AI bots for the PvP maps ?