Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 742591 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Methiantese Civil War! Turn 1!
« Reply #3180 on: November 18, 2017, 01:18:55 pm »

Pretender: Just use #1.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: November 18, 2017, 01:23:05 pm »

Nah. Actually, we straight up loose the game if we use the first one.

We go from 5 to 3 on their action, then 3 to 0 on our action, then loose before we can get back up to 2.

We're obligated to burn the first one. And since the third one isn't that great we might as well burn it as well.

We get 2 back from burning the third, so it's not all that dire.

That's not how the order of operations works. The recycled cards are only recycled at the end of all other actions. And loss happens immediately upon hitting zero.

That sort of sounds like you're looking at our cards :P

There's no rule that says we can't!

Pretender: Just use #1.

To clarify so it's perfectly clear. Any pretender voting to use the first card is voting to loose. That's how the game mechanics work (and yes, I asked the GM)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: November 18, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »

That sort of sounds like you're looking at our cards :P

There's no rule that says we can't!
I may be blunt but I really feel like you did that given that wording back there o_O
I just agreed way back because seeing what cards we got, it is a good plan to play safe [despite rebels being stereotyped as bloodthirsty KEEL IMPEERYALS, this isn't a good idea if we're playing fine].

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: November 18, 2017, 01:44:34 pm »

I mean, looking at all the possible rebel-side cards, it's not just a stereotype :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: November 18, 2017, 01:58:07 pm »

That's not how the order of operations works. The recycled cards are only recycled at the end of all other actions. And loss happens immediately upon hitting zero.

Ah, thought it only would have checked for a 0 at the end of the turn, but looks like that's just an unfounded assumption. Bizarre, but I suppose you've got me there.

A vote for #2 it is! Here's to a protracted civil war followed by vassalization at the hands of Cydwyl!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:00:23 pm by Harry Baldman »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: November 18, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »

A vote for #2 it is! Here's to a protracted civil war followed by vassalization at the hands of Cydwyl!
just proving our point there ya know
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: November 18, 2017, 02:36:17 pm »

*Prophet salutes Twinwolf*

With the power of LOYALTY and the ability of our skilled Lord Marshal Twinwolf we shall drive out the foreign scum who wish to prey upon our beautiful country in it's time of weakness!
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: November 18, 2017, 02:41:30 pm »

just proving our point there ya know

If everyone loses, that's almost as good as us winning!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: November 18, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »

Alrighty then. If anyone has another plan before the turn is posted, please speak up.

Use first and second cards, discard third.
Sigtext!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: November 18, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »

Play Card 2, discard 1 and 3.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: November 18, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »

Upon actually playing this, I'm actually not sure any more. Which dpcard do we use? Which side is right? Probably the pretenders now that I think if it, which means that the world is ending.
Use the Purge, anyone?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: November 18, 2017, 06:03:14 pm »

Upon actually playing this, I'm actually not sure any more. Which dpcard do we use? Which side is right? Probably the pretenders now that I think if it, which means that the world is ending.
Use the Purge, anyone?
I don't think the pretenders are correct considering they've yet to provide an actual solid argument :p
Sigtext!

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: November 18, 2017, 06:12:42 pm »

I have to agree. In fact I would say they've only proven themselves the incorrect choice. A faction in a civil war that must rely upon the support of foreign powers to win is one that is unpopular, unreliable, and likely to end up manipulated by said foreign powers. They aren't supporting them for free after all. They're obviously after a favorable outcome for them. I'd say that Eldrican has now proven itself to be untrustworthy no matter who wins. Which is an unfortunate event as it has proven to me that all of our neighboring countries are willing to back stab us. Lametania, Ceodwell, and Eldrican have all gone against deals they have made with us. In fact the only one that hasn't broken it's word is Cylwyl but they have proven themselves to be unpredictable and opportunistic. So I can not say that we are able to trust them to remain friendly if it doesn't suit their wants.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:19:37 pm by Prophet »
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: November 18, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »

Who cares who's right?  I've been set on the pretenders' side, and I intend to do what I can to insure.  Or, at the very least, to do as much damage as possible to those who would deny our rightful claim.

Pretender: Use #1 and #2, discard #3.  Eh, on rereading Criptfiend's rule explanation, I /guess/ I'll say going for using #2 and discarding the others.  It's a dumb and non obvious interpretation of the rules, which means it's probably correct.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:33:05 pm by Lucus Casius »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: November 18, 2017, 06:39:50 pm »

Yeah, the Loyalists should use the Purge. One, it keeps them honest because they've openly speculated about defensive playing since they know we have it. If MaxSpin sees us not use it and gets in before the update, he could spend more for his side. Two, we haven't had overpowering damages despite stronger army cards, so economic victory is our best strategy at the moment.

As for which side is right:

Mechanics-wise: there is an argument for Luath as a known charismatic beats Cyl the unknown boy-king. Adult vs. regency is moot due to the length of this war.

Roleplay-wise: the case against Cyl is speculative and full of holes at best: Yoe refused to even contemplate illegitimacy and therefore for legal purposes – as succession very much is! – Cyl is clearly in the right.

Card game setup-wise: reading the flavor text on the cards emphasizes the loyalty of the Loyalists and the outside influence on the Pretenders. I think Luath was a decent guy while we played him, but the story now demands a money-grabbing usurper and so he becomes almost a Greek-tragedy protagonist undone by that flaw – if he loses, of course. If Luath wins then I suppose he'll return to being the steady statesman with vision beyond the parochial interests of a few entrenched nobles.

Lametania, Ceodwell, and Eldrican have all gone against deals they have made with us. In fact the only one that hasn't broken it's word is Cylwyl but they have proven themselves to be unpredictable and opportunistic.
In Lametania's defense, the reason for the betrayal clearly lay in our inability/unwillingness to send aid against the forgotten beast. After that it got a bit complex, but it was more wariness than feuding until we invaded the Queen's homeland. And in Cydwyl's defense, I agree that Dogethe is steamrolling, but so do we when we have the army to spare – Felonsein being case in point. It's not a reason to distrust her reflexively, although I am cautious regarding the day she loses power. Ceodwell was in a similar position of being consistently friendly until an upstart usurper took over. And then we had ample warning and a bit of confiscated silver, not an army pouring across the border. Yes NPCs tend to behave as the story dictates, but individual characters generally stay true to themselves.

Eldrican boasted to our face about how opportunistic they are. I'm not defending them. But to obtain crucial war materiel, we may still need them.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 1087