Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 461557 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer: 66 ASCII tilesets. Racial graphics included. [v4.1][10x/20x]
« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2016, 04:10:46 pm »

I like them because you keep the /dfg/ variant soldier/beards in there, which, like I said, it's just such a cozy looking set, but yeah... the space invader hat was an interesting twist.

Hopefully the skull hat looks more like a skull hat now and a little less like a space invader. Thank you kindly for the critique. The next release will include it or you can get it off of GitHub.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:35:35 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's tilesets. 10x/20x
« Reply #436 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »

I've been sitting on a partly finished update but my life is about to get very busy and I don't have time to finish everything until things quiet down. I'm posting my current work in case I get feedback. I've been playing lately, and I'm really noticing how many characters are needlessly different from vanilla or aren't done as well as I'd like.

Shifting the alphabet down is irrelevant, that's just to give more room for the accented characters. The most controversial changes are probably to =, ≡, !, and ‼. (Two alternatives: ). Every tileset will be brought in line with vanilla, preferably without negatively impacting the look of the tilesets.

As mentioned, this probably isn't going to get done in a timely fashion.

I'll also post a work in progress 8x8 with the hope that by posting it I'll stop working on the damn thing for a while. This one is based off of Kronos Bold. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, but if I do it'll go into the alternatives folder along with a 16x16 version.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:03:10 am by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 06, 2016, 11:43:30 pm »

Wow, the Klingon homeworld. I thought the next stop on your tour would be another one of Earth's capital cities.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 06, 2016, 11:47:13 pm »

Wow, the Klingon homeworld. I thought the next stop on your tour would be another one of Earth's capital cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronus

The Paris font isn't as nice a serif font as Kronos, and Tokyo is interesting yet too strange to interest me as a tileset. I do seem to have done two of the city fonts. I do love greek mythology though, and am slowly accumulating a small library on it. I have no interest in Star Trek, to be honest.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:52:51 pm by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 07, 2016, 04:58:19 am »

From the tileset it looks like they're all good changes (not sure on the male/female symbol though), but without seeing how it looks in game -- and I don't mean a quick glance, but a long, actual playing session --it's hard to pass a final judgement. The exclamation mark, for example might now be harder to discern from other symbols similar to a vertical line. It might be useful to discern the greek letters more readily from latin letters. Or it may not make any practical difference. I think at this point in your tileset evolution, you're always walking on a razor's edge between beauty, consistency and usability; and it's hard to see when you're straying too far from a good compromise. In either case, it's obvious that the changes don't make it massively worse, so most likely they're all good.

On an only tangentially related note, the general ambition to strip down and reduce differences of single tiles from vanilla and concentrate on overall stylistic changes and consistency is, I believe, a good sign of maturity in a tileset - one which CLA is clearly lacking. At the moment I feel like CLA should be a lot more ASCII-like. Basically Haowan with some opaque tiles and minor changes. But oh well, busy life and all that.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 13, 2016, 04:01:37 pm »

I put some time into the upcoming update today, so I'm getting closer to completion. There are some "controversial" changes, but it's for the best. I enjoy the new tilesets so much that I feel somewhat embarrassed about my current release. Every tileset has been polished, bringing things visually closer to vanilla and better unifying the aesthetic. There's been further improvements since my last post.

I'm making this visually significant change to ≈. It's probably more controversial than my other changes.

Thoughts? Sand and liquid visually overpower other tiles at the moment, which they shouldn't. I already made a feeble attempt at fixing this. Thick lines have been a staple of my tilesets since my first release: they've been minimized somewhat. The result is more harmonious and looks more like "Dwarf Fortress".

From the tileset it looks like they're all good changes (not sure on the male/female symbol though), but without seeing how it looks in game -- and I don't mean a quick glance, but a long, actual playing session --it's hard to pass a final judgement. The exclamation mark, for example might now be harder to discern from other symbols similar to a vertical line. It might be useful to discern the greek letters more readily from latin letters. Or it may not make any practical difference. I think at this point in your tileset evolution, you're always walking on a razor's edge between beauty, consistency and usability; and it's hard to see when you're straying too far from a good compromise. In either case, it's obvious that the changes don't make it massively worse, so most likely they're all good.

On an only tangentially related note, the general ambition to strip down and reduce differences of single tiles from vanilla and concentrate on overall stylistic changes and consistency is, I believe, a good sign of maturity in a tileset - one which CLA is clearly lacking. At the moment I feel like CLA should be a lot more ASCII-like. Basically Haowan with some opaque tiles and minor changes. But oh well, busy life and all that.

Thank you kindly. I'm still thinking about the male/female symbols. I usually rush into updates: hopefully I manage to take my time so that I can get that balance between beauty, consistency, and usability correct.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:00:42 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 13, 2016, 04:29:29 pm »

Just from this screenshot I like that the thicker water contrasts a little more against the land and make it easier to see where the border between the two is. It might be just the quotation grass tile (") that the thin water blends in with, though.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 13, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »

Just from this screenshot I like that the thicker water contrasts a little more against the land and make it easier to see where the border between the two is. It might be just the quotation grass tile (") that the thin water blends in with, though.

Thank you kindly for the criticism. I tried again and added a frame: I might have a better balance this time.

A sample world gen comparing these iterations:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:10:34 am by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 14, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »

Yeah, with the added blackspace it looks more wave-y and distinct.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 14, 2016, 04:49:17 pm »

A sample world gen comparing these iterations:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a tougher choice here. The thinner water definitely looks better with the main landmass, but the thicker water looks against the islands and landmass in the topleft. While on my phone, I was thinking the thicker water looked a bit better overall, but from my laptop now, I think the thiner water looks better overall.

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2016, 01:05:45 am »

It's a tougher choice here. The thinner water definitely looks better with the main landmass, but the thicker water looks against the islands and landmass in the topleft. While on my phone, I was thinking the thicker water looked a bit better overall, but from my laptop now, I think the thiner water looks better overall.

I second Jecowa's sentiment. go thinner.

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2016, 11:15:48 am »

Yeah, with the added blackspace it looks more wave-y and distinct.
I second Jecowa's sentiment. go thinner.

Thank you kindly for the input, everyone. I'll go with the thin version.

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2016, 01:39:58 pm »

Thank you kindly for the input, everyone. I'll go with the thin version.

[haiku]
     I endorse blank space.
Might make a map tileset soon.
      Would be pretty cool.
[/haiku]

Is tile one syllable or two!?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:47:22 pm by raeborga »

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2016, 02:29:46 pm »

"Tallcastle Has admired a finely crafted Haiku Recently"

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 16, 2016, 01:21:08 am »

The three colour schemes I kept for future experimentation were Another Natural Colour Scheme (far less bright, but that can be a good thing), AngleWyrm's Colourset (needs the greens to be more distinct) and Dawnbringer by Taffer (I'm a bit bothered by the off-black).  There were a few which made my head hurt, and another half a dozen I noted down for an honourable mention.  And several which were good but had a shockingly bad bit (bright orange for brown sticks in mind) which made them unusable for me.

Thank you for the thumbs up for Dawnbringer, although I only assembled two of DawnBringer's palettes. I've darkened black in three colour schemes for you--Pastel, Taffer, and Dawnbringer--but not to pure black. It'll be in my next release. If you have any other criticisms about any colour schemes that I distribute please consider sharing. I've removed RawberryCough's Rawberry scheme from my next release under the assumption that it's the "bright orange for brown" that you mentioned.

Just popping over to say that it was more of a comment than a criticism.  Dawnbringer is on the short short list.  The somewhat blue black did fit welll with the rest of the Dawnbringer set and I could (perhaps) get used to it so I hope at least in that case that the change was not too drastic.  That said there were several coloursets - by other people - which I would never consider using because the black was so unblack=off putting for me.  And none of yours made my head hurt.  But if other boats are floated all the more power to them!

I will in the future give your coloursets a whirl with properly a developed fort (got to build it first) and provide some feedback.  Still I'm only one fish and it's a mighty big pond.   ;)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50