Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Water tools  (Read 1015 times)

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
Removing Water tools
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:24:02 pm »

I accidentaly left a floodgate connected do a lake open for 10 seconds too long now there is alot of water on my main area of the fort and im wondering does anyone have a link to any tools that can remove water on certain tiles?(this is for 40d16)
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Water tools
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »

I accidentaly left a floodgate connected do a lake open for 10 seconds too long now there is alot of water on my main area of the fort and im wondering does anyone have a link to any tools that can remove water on certain tiles?(this is for 40d16)

When the water gets to 1/7, it'll evaporate, if you're talking about stuff being muddy, you can just build cages/traps then unbuild them in that spot, and that clears up anything on that tile.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »

Alternatively, give some of your dwarves the stone detailing labor, then set the area for smoothing.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »

For deeper water, you might need to dig out a well/cistern to absorb all that water.

Before playing too much with water, always remember to have a backup plan like a pit with a grate over it to absorb excess water, preferably leading to some place you can get rid of water, or that can absorb it (like natural fountains/sinks of water, such as rivers or aquifers, or into bottomless pits)

You can also build pumps that lead to external cisterns to reduce water levels.  If you SERIOUSLY flooded your fortress, you may need to dig a giant pit or path to eliminate water by dumping it off the map somehow, and start building pumps progressively downward in pump stacks.

Generally, this game makes preventing the disaster much, MUCH easier than cleaning up the disaster after it happens, so always be sure you have a contingency for every possible failure before you let anything happen.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:11:12 pm »

Well yeah i was keeping a eye on it but another matter(FUN STUFF) drew my attention so i forgot abaut it for 20 seconds. Then i noticed a low FPS and i realized i forgot do close the floodgate.

here is a picture of the flood http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101914556-3.jpg

EDIT:
I also did not expect the river water pressure do be enough do push up 1-2 Zlevels.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:22:22 pm by Drug_unit »
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:08:50 pm »

Wow... it's so... rectangular.

Anyway, sorry, but I can't tell much without liquid depth turned on, although I guess I can assume it's not too deep if the entire floor hasn't flooded yet.  In that case, you can rely on evaporation.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:29:11 pm »

well the food storage is under 1-2 tile deep water but the source is all either 3 or 4 tile deep so its gonna take a while.

GENERATION 29:

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »

for my underground cisterns I build floors on the ground instead of smoothing, as you can't easily break into it by accident.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

Relatively easy problem to fix... Once the source is cut off and no longer flowing, as long as the water depth is low enough that some 1's are present, it will gradually all evaporate. If it has filled any sub-areas to depth of 7, you can pump the water out of those areas with screw pumps, or even set the flooded area as a Water Source in the zone designation tool and make a Pond somewhere else. If you have buckets dwarves will gradually (read: it will take forever) empty out the flooded area by buckets.

You could also dig an area for the water to flow out of any flooded areas (tap in from the side) or use a drawbridge to crush the water if there's nowhere for it to flow to (dig in from the side).
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 05:15:55 am »

Ok the water has evaporated and i can continue building my power farm now.

GENERATION 29: