Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Theocracy: A Community Challenge  (Read 2416 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Theocracy: A Community Challenge
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

This reminds me of that prison idea... I still want to give that one a try.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

Just a warning: It is possible that less than 3 dwarves share a common religion. My fort started with 2 sharing a religion. Just be warned.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

I'm having a hard time deciding between two deities:

"Vesh the Pulpy Hip of Tumors was most often depicted as a female dwarf and was associated with hospitality, disease, death and suicide."
"Ninur the Feral Evisceration was most often depicted as a female hoary marmot and was associated with volcanos, mountains, chaos, war and fortresses."

They both belong to the same civilization, so I might decide that Ninur is Vesh's pet and have followers of Ninur be the fortress's military. I am still working on how to incorporate the concepts of hospitality and death together, aside from (preferably filled) coffins in every bedroom and dining hall.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkose:
<STRONG>I am still working on how to incorporate the concepts of hospitality and death together, aside from (preferably filled) coffins in every bedroom and dining hall.</STRONG>

Never seen  the movie "The Hostel"? me neither, but I think that you get the idea.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkose:
<STRONG>I'm having a hard time deciding between two deities:

"Vesh the Pulpy Hip of Tumors was most often depicted as a female dwarf and was associated with hospitality, disease, death and suicide."
"Ninur the Feral Evisceration was most often depicted as a female hoary marmot and was associated with volcanos, mountains, chaos, war and fortresses."

They both belong to the same civilization, so I might decide that Ninur is Vesh's pet and have followers of Ninur be the fortress's military. I am still working on how to incorporate the concepts of hospitality and death together, aside from (preferably filled) coffins in every bedroom and dining hall.</STRONG>

Here are a few customs that could fit:
1. Every single dwarf receives a tomb, which is always better than the pitiful hovel where he or she lived. Or, each dwarf lives in their tomb, and just moves to the coffin upon death.
2. Suicides are highly respected, and receive tombs fit for nobles.
2. Refuse stockpiles in every room release fragrant miasma. (for the disease part)
3. Your dwarves work hard to build roads and safe accommodations for their traders, sparing no expense. Traders enjoy hefty profit margins and lots of gifts to bring back.
4. Thieves are automatically pardoned in the name of hospitality, and no effort is made to catch them. Thief killers may be penalized.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 04:18:00 am »

Or for the second god. Build a fortress with a very random desing(the chaos part) and make almost all your dwarfs military.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

I wonder... Do children share their parents' belief? (Or at least one of the parents' beliefs). If not, this could prove an extra difficulty for the challenge. Tantruming parents who were forced to impale their children on wooden spikes and such..
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 04:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>I wonder... Do children share their parents' belief? (Or at least one of the parents' beliefs). If not, this could prove an extra difficulty for the challenge. Tantruming parents who were forced to impale their children on wooden spikes and such..</STRONG>

Binding of Isaac: Dwarf Edition?

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 07:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>I wonder... Do children share their parents' belief? (Or at least one of the parents' beliefs). If not, this could prove an extra difficulty for the challenge. Tantruming parents who were forced to impale their children on wooden spikes and such..</STRONG>

I'll let you know when I have a couple at Fireblossoms; I have at least one couple that are properly fanatical worshippers of Uzol.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

I embarked on a theocracy hermit challenge :3
My guy, Momuz Syrupdrills, absolutely hated his name. He's a worshiper of Azmol Tath Oggez, Azmol the Dusk of Holes, a god associated with night and darkness.

I embarked in an area with a lake and a mountain biome. And I started close to a cliff right next to the lake, so it was only a matter of a little masonry.

Amazingly, one dwarf managed to swim somewhat close to the shore before drowning. He was only four squares away from salvation when he drowned, which makes it all the sweeter >:3

I regret wasting the diorite though. And those socks of theirs! Oh, the socks!

Anyway, I already have a temple planned out. It doesn't hurt to have an exposed magnetite cluster with a large amount of native platinum nearby either.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Splime:
<STRONG>Edit: I am also going to be adding this challenge: Start the dwarves off with no skills. The power of their deity will guide them to victory...
- Nevermind, I don't feel like making that much of a challenge...

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Splime ]</STRONG>

That's what I did; all my dwarves started with no skills. We'll see how this goes. I also only got 2 worshipers, everyone else had different deities. The chosen deity is Zagstok, who often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with deformity. (Ok, I cheated a bit. The first one I rolled, which also only had 2 followers, was associated with pregnancy and family. That sounded boring.)

Also, I was looking for a bit of clarification: I understand that the heathens are to be haulers at the least, but do they also do all of the work while the monks just idle? Should my monks be doing any "dirty" jobs, like mining? Or should my monks only do "cleaner" jobs like making crafts or engravings?

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>

That's what I did; all my dwarves started with no skills. We'll see how this goes. I also only got 2 worshipers, everyone else had different deities. The chosen deity is Zagstok, who often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with deformity. (Ok, I cheated a bit. The first one I rolled, which also only had 2 followers, was associated with pregnancy and family. That sounded boring.)

Also, I was looking for a bit of clarification: I understand that the heathens are to be haulers at the least, but do they also do all of the work while the monks just idle? Should my monks be doing any "dirty" jobs, like mining? Or should my monks only do "cleaner" jobs like making crafts or engravings?</STRONG>

I'm only just now getting around to generating a world and starting up my own monastery, as, alas, I ended up getting called into work twice over the past two days (both of which I was supposed to have off).

I think, really, it's up to you - as long as there's some kind of class segregation. It also depends on the god; if it's a god of minerals/mountains/metals or whatnot, maybe the monks would consider Mining or some kind of stone/metal-related class the only profession worthy of their order's undertaking.

Hm.. come to think of it, maybe if I get a deity of forgiveness or hospitality, the monks will do all the work and let everyone else lay around..    :D

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Dullard ]

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Well, I have embarked. My chosen deity is Sárek Hollowabyss, a god of caverns that normally takes the form of a giant toad.

There's a lot of exposed olivine in my chosen starting location...

I have plans.   :D

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

Tadpoles (casual workers) will form the lowest rung of the order.

Once I get some Elder Toads (ardent worshippers), the priesthood will vote on who shall represent them as the Avatar of the Toady One (what else?).

I shan't reveal any of the greater plans of the Toady Order, though, until things are closer to completion.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Dullard ]

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Hmmm... in that case, I think they'll just stick to noble positions and idling. I'd have them engrave, but that requires smoothing the walls, which is something I don't want to do as part of representing "deformity." All the heathens will be forced to do all the work  :D
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 [2] 3