Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: keeping adamantine out of the hospital  (Read 10074 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
keeping adamantine out of the hospital
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:24:46 am »

Bastard doctors think that the wounded deserve to have adamantine strands to fix them up, rather than using normal thread like everyone else. As a result, I can't make weapons and armour with the stuff (that's right, military before health... where have I heard that before)

Basically, apart from not allowing any thread in the hospital, what can I do to filter out adamantine from this?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: keeping adamantine out of the hospital
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:28:28 am »

Lock it in a room where noone can reach it is all I can think of.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:35:26 am »

SUPPLY-SIDE SOLUTION: Turn off suturing on all healthcare workers and use up as much strands as you can before turning it on again.

DEMAND-SIDE SOLUTION: Rig up a contraption to drop anvils on occupied hospital beds from a great height.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:42 am »

There is no demand... it's just sitting in the hospital. But they don't want to remove it from the hospital to make stuff
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:41:52 am »

You could try forbidding the thread you don't want used by the doctors, let the hospital stocks be overfilled with junk thread, then unforbidding and smelting the thread right away. 

You could also stop strand extraction while treating the wounded and make sure that you have enough smelters running so that the thread is never sitting in a stockpile.

to remove it from a hospital deconstruct the chests you have in the hospital zone
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:54:31 am »

Or keep the adamantine mining operations sealed and only allow wafers to leave (perhaps via minecart to stop wayward haulers reaching the thread.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:22:48 am »

Sealing my adamantine should work.. I have slated the chests for removal, so now it's a waiting game to get my thread back... I also dumped them all... from there I'll let it fill with other stuff.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:58 am »

Reported bug. I dont know what it is though.
EDIT: #1346
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:49:14 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:53:48 am »

Let's just hope the hospital doesn't become active very soon... I mean, I do have an injured dwarf., but it's my form of "justice"...

See, it's a vampire who has killed 4 others, and served the full sentence for it 201 days each murder, plus quite a bit because no one would unchain her. She then went and killed 2 more... So I decided I'd try out this danger room concept... Except she has no armour. Since food, booze, and sleep aren't necessary, she can stay there till I have time to micromanage every single step that undead creep takes... (plus doors on every room help stop the murders). So, other than that injury, no one else needs the hospital as of yet, and I want to keep it that way (not gonna happen, experimenting with obsidian casters for the first time)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:37 am »

The major bug here is that your haulers will take the most valuable thread to the hospital first - so adamantine strands go there first. Try deconstructing all coffers in the hospital (if there are no injured dwarves waiting for treatment) and then taking all the strands to your smelter.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:22 am »

Its great we can work around this but I don't understand why Toady just doesn't just fix this one. What reasonable overseer would ever want to have adamantine thread used to suture wounds?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:59 am »

My hospitals no longer use on site storage. If a doctor wants something they get it from a stockpile it keeps them from filling it with evey piece of cloth in the fort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:44 am »

Its great we can work around this but I don't understand why Toady just doesn't just fix this one. What reasonable overseer would ever want to have adamantine thread used to suture wounds?
1. It takes work. Work takes time, time Toady spends working... On other aspects. It's a juggling act.

2. Reasonable overseer.

heh

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 03:06:21 pm »

I think a legendary axedwarf with adamantine stards all over his arm is badass
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »

I think a legendary axedwarf with adamantine stards all over his arm is badass

Now if Toady made it so said strands acted like a form of armor...... yessss injuring dwarfs so when the doctors sew them up they become loving adamantine golems.
Pages: [1] 2 3