Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.  (Read 18385 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Freeman: Guerrilla warfare. el che be proud.
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 01:29:42 pm »

this amazing little indie gem has gotten a couple updates including more maps, more guns and companions! they're literally like you but so far i havent seen one die but i think they can. they come with 2 mercenary infantry bodyguards (the ones with AKs) also the other factions now war on one another so you're free to jump around and watch them fight. the battle maps now have some random buildings generated on them and they're good cover but they're mostly unfinished with doors being the kind you phase through instead of open.

if you haven't bought this game, i highly recommend it, but only if you don't mind early access
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »

I mean, this is pretty much like Mount and Blade around the alpha/beta release.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »

Heads up for everyone freeman is $11 on https://chrono.gg for the next 16 or so hours.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:55:56 pm by choppy »

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:44 pm »

has anybody else not been able to get it past "loading" for the past few updates?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2018, 12:20:03 am »

Got the game today and just started playing.

Reminds me of Mount and Blade quite a bit...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2018, 06:26:14 pm »

Latest update, they've redone how to replace squad casualties. Instead of paying cash to replace losses in a squad, you must now merge squads together to have squad refilled. From the looks it, you can use any squad to draw replacements from, for example refilling a Veteran squad with rookie volunteers or "volunteered" looters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2018, 11:00:57 pm »

How do you add companions to the field? I have one with me but dunno how to add her.

Also, how do you capture enemy soldiers?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2018, 04:21:07 pm »

looks really interesting. really wish they'd look at a linux version.
It's a little sad that there are so many interesting unity games out there where the devs don't seem to be even considering doing linux versions seriously.
wonder if there's a business opportunity there... get good at unity on linux and offer to handle the linux version of unity games?
I'd hazard a guess that some of these would be fairly simple, unless they're doing something really fancy graphics wise.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:03 am »

I got a chance to play this, and wow, it needs a ton of work. I understand it's in very early access, but the AI is probably some of the worst I've seen. It can't hold up to guerrilla tactics at all and will just collapse under a hit and run attack. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this until the AI is improved.

While the devs seem pretty cool, there's no guarantee they won't do what many other early access devs (and even bigger ones) and just ignore the AI, occasionally throwing it a half chewed bone of interest before working on something else.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 03:02:57 am »

I mean, the ai is indeed quite stupid, but they take cover and try to engage sensibly for them being into an open field thunderdome. I've seen aaa games doing much worse and I don't see how under the instanced conditions it could be made better. they need first to make combat relevant. the roaming format a la mount and blade is quite weird in modern settings.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2018, 04:22:15 am »

Well, for a start, while it's not really based in guerrilla tactics, the AI has no (or just extremely limited) threat selection at all. I have plinked at squads with a machinegun in plain site from some form of high ground (usually a building), and they are fully content to shoot at the ground dudes with garbage weapons who can't even get a clear shot on them. Adding some form of threat analysis would go a long way.

Secondly, as for dealing with long range attacks, Far Cry 2 provides some pretty good examples. If you snipe, the majority of troops will take cover and try to discern where the shots are coming from (meaning you must constantly relocate), and small squads will march out, usually under cover, searching. It leads to a system where, if you aren't careful, you will get caught even if you are constantly on the move and relocate after each shot.  As of now, they just seem to do nothing and let you pick them off one by one.

Some form of communications could quite easily let them deal with or at least mitigate hit and run attacks. They could put in scouts and reconnaissance units to hide and track your movement, communicate to relevant squads, then set up ambushes along your paths. They could hunker down in a safe area and force you to attack them at a disadvantage. Practically all of of these, to some degree have been implemented in games before this, and there is little stopping the devs from coming up with their own tactics.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2018, 09:00:07 pm »

Faction troops are actually much more intelligent than the bandits, and the big three tend to be better at fighting than the Uman Brotherhood. They're still kinda stupid, but they at least do things like hunker down, tactically withdraw, shift the focus of their attacks, attack at one side followed by a stronger attack from a different direction, hold troops in reserve or protected out of sight by terrain, and various other tricks.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2018, 07:38:58 pm »

Significant update, biggest feature being you can fully customize your army now. Stick up to 9 guys(of different soldier types) in a squad, choose their guns and outfits.

They're going to be pushing artillery later on.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2018, 10:17:59 am »

I happen to have encountered an unfortunate issue. I'm not sure if it's a bug, but I'll post about it here anyway.

When you enter a town and go to the recruit soldiers screens (Either "Barracks" or "Hire Mercenaries"), selecting a squad to recruit lets you remove soldiers from it - you can purchase a single soldier if you so wish.

However, I can't seem to find any kind of function to reset the squads to recruit - if you were to, for example, remove all but one unit from a squad you were thinking of purchasing/hiring, you'd only be able to recruit that one unit, and wouldn't be able to get a full squad without perhaps waiting for the soldiers to refresh.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2018, 08:33:48 pm »

this recently got a patch to 0.180 and its gotten more awesome.

https://steamstore-a.akamaihd.net/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2396358621993293941

edit- im currently attempting to fund my army with my mad blackjack save scums.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:26:30 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9