Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Employing Mechanics in DF (mazes, computing, repeaters, etc)  (Read 7562 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Employing Mechanics in DF (mazes, computing, repeaters, etc)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »

It's a Sportacus! FLEE THE MINES!

On a serious note, I've noticed that delays are random and maybe based on mechanisms' quality thus it's almost impossible to make real timing.

Hmm, I always though it was 100 frames every time.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:31 pm »

Perpetual motion machines are notoriously finicky. Sometimes the wheels turn and sometimes they don't. My favorite method at this point is to build waterwheels over channels in an aquifer with no drainage, then throw a bucket of water in from two z-levels above to make the wheels start turning and stay turning perpetually.

Magma logic should be entirely possible with a supply of magma-safe mechanisms, and would also be extremely showy and impressive. You would just want to worry about setting up your pumps to provide a high flow rate, since magma doesn't have intrinsic pressure.

This is what you should study if you're seriously interested in logic and computing:
My threads previously linked by Shinziril, including http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4523-numberabbey , http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4573-imagecontrols , and http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7408-toolconfuse
The Hydrodynamics Education thread in my sig. It's essential to know the details of how fluids behave.
Kami's adder: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7352-ironpeaked http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1745-dwarfputerv01
GauHelldragon's 7-segment display: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1657-7segmentlcddisplay http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6927-fellsalves
Gregorah's adder: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1561-addingmachine http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39587.0
Quietust's automated obsidian factory: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1782-automaticobsidianfactory
There are also CoalDiamond's clockwork drowning chambers, but I haven't figured out how they work. I made a pretty impressive drowning system a while back, but never published it; perhaps I'll revisit that some time.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:47:32 pm »

Perpetual motion machines are notoriously finicky. Sometimes the wheels turn and sometimes they don't. My favorite method at this point is to build waterwheels over channels in an aquifer with no drainage, then throw a bucket of water in from two z-levels above to make the wheels start turning and stay turning perpetually.

I've had that happen.  Only without the bucket.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 12:28:27 am »

I'd like to use some mechanisms for decoration, namely skulls on spikes. Will extended spike traps block caravans?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 12:49:25 am »

I thought that the "delays based on mechanism quality" got debunked in a Mythbusting thread.

I heard it was a set delay for certain things (100?), instantaneous for others. The only other thing I recall having an effect was the order things were built in (plate -> bridge vs bridge -> plate vs. bridge, plate, bridge)

I cannot find the thread for the life of me. (just got my internet back, it's been a while)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:51:25 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:51 am »

A link would be godly if you find the thread.
The sigs topic:

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 01:59:47 am »

found it:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39962.msg700145#msg700145

PeeWee (who is far more patient than I, and therefore someone I am not going to question on this) says:
CONFIRMED through a simple, repeatable side-by-side test:
-Bridges do raise at different times based on when they were constructed relative to the pressure pad.

HOWEVER: the bridges built BEFORE the pressure pad were raised first.
-The bridges built after the pad was built were raised one frame after the others.

-Raising bridges and retracting bridges do not take different times to raise.

-The bridges built before the pad rose 100 frames after the water on the pressure pad hit 7/7.
-The bridges built after the pad rose 101 frames after the water on the pressure pad hit 7/7.

In truth, that whole thread is chockablock full of awesome, this is only part of it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:12:29 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 02:30:29 am »

<3.

Will return here with comments and questions after reading, no doubt. This information should be easier to track down; perhaps in a wiki page.
The sigs topic:

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 03:16:32 am »

Numberabbey is a good old thread with a lot of the dwarfputing "component" designs spelled out fairly well. (And with videos of them being tested. THe thread is lots of long reading though. The wiki just doesn't delve into dwarfputing in any structured, thorough manner. I think it's too close to the "modding" information for people to put it into the wiki in the way all the material values and whatnot are.

The Numberabbey thread
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:06:42 am by Flaede »
[/quote]

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »

I think it's too close to the "modding" information for people to put it into the wiki in the way all the material values and whatnot are.

Thanks for the link.
I'm sorry, what do you mean by this?
The sigs topic:

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 02:44:58 am »

eh. it made sense at the time. not sure how to explain. Let's just say that a lot of "nitty gritty" info about how the game works isn't always handled  very well in the wiki.
[/quote]

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 06:00:49 am »

Numberabbey is a good old thread with a lot of the dwarfputing "component" designs spelled out fairly well. (And with videos of them being tested. THe thread is lots of long reading though. The wiki just doesn't delve into dwarfputing in any structured, thorough manner. I think it's too close to the "modding" information for people to put it into the wiki in the way all the material values and whatnot are.

The Numberabbey thread

The Numberabbey thread
haha that link you've made into an e-mail link so thunderbird wants me to write a message XD

Try this

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:37 am »

Yeah.  [email] is not the same as [url].

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

oops.
Not sure how I managed to screw up that one.
(fixed)
[/quote]

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 01:32:17 am »

So I can drain magma pipes now without dealing with oogles of cumbersome labor, such as pouring water on it and then channeling it out and then dealing with the stone-between-layers glitch. A magma repeater left on indefinitely will drain magma pipes to its level, so I am installing one on the second-to-bottom level of my volcano within a fortress within a volcano project on this mechanics testing map. For faster draining, the repeater can be hooked up to several other magma smashers as well. It's the standard liquid-consuming repeater on the wiki, only for magma!

The problem now is that some of my old construction is a mite too close to the vent, and I will likely drive my engraver to insanity by melting his artwork. Anyone know if the bad mood stacks, and if so: how far? Can he be made insane by overloading it, or will he hit a ceiling and possibly come back from miserable before it's too late?
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 [2] 3