Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 226487 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1275 on: April 09, 2016, 07:21:38 am »

What do you think the chances are that if I got this game, that I'd be able to play with people from this forum?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 09, 2016, 10:34:41 am »

What do you think the chances are that if I got this game, that I'd be able to play with people from this forum?

As long as your computer could handle it, pretty high. Then again, it depends what they are doing on the server. MAC guns, for example, slow framerate like molasses
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 09, 2016, 01:55:06 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbe4U-eW680&nohtml5=False
Rip.

Not... sure if ironic or not.

It is just so highly dramatized it feels like a documentary on how aliens built the pyramids.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:02:30 pm by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 09, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »

Server is definitely working now! I figured it out with a couple people on the Discord channel.

It turns out that after restarting my computer, my wifi card turned back on (which I have for portability even though I use a wired connection). The wifi connection was using DHCP rather than a static IP, meaning that the server went wonky.

Server-side movement is so-so. You still tend to rubber band and have a bit of wonkiness, but I was able to mine without falling through the planet, and walk around in a lander without it vibrating me to death. I did have a problem where I couldn't walk in heavy armor plates, my character acted as if he was just bumping into a wall in zero gravity, don't know why. Anyway, it looks like going through walls/floors and getting murdered by your own ship are a thing of the past, so it's an improvement.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1280 on: April 09, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »

It is just so highly dramatized it feels like a documentary on how aliens built the pyramids.
All it lacks is "Do you think that means what I mean because I think it means Aaron from Last Stand Gamers is ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED"
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:16 am »

Ah, i gotta disagree with yoou guys. Aaron has been severely lazy about giving credit. Even if he built the actual vehicle from scratch, he still should say its not his work. I actually have a friend who got ripped off by him.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:20:58 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 14, 2016, 09:40:42 am »

It does things you can already do, but without you having to do any engineering. Which is the thing that the game is about.

Nanomachines, son. I ain't gotta explain shit.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1284 on: April 14, 2016, 10:30:15 am »

It does things you can already do, but without you having to do any engineering. Which is the thing that the game is about.

Yeah, I don't get what's so great about that mod.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:18 am »

Yeah, I don't get what's so great about that mod.

It seems quite similar to the repair system in "From The Depths". Along with mods for more weapons and the like, it'll probably help make the aftermath of battles less tedious with all the repairing by hand.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 14, 2016, 03:19:06 pm »

Update 01.130

This one includes some good fixes!
-Ship movement is now server-side
Not having tested it, I would expect it to fix all the really weird behavior with landing gear. Hopefully not too prone to rubber-banding.
-Cargo ships are re-enabled
I disabled cargo ships a while ago because they were all crashing into planets. Then, Keen force-disabled them in worlds with planets. Now they're re-enabled and fixed! Cargo ships should now spawn in space, and not crash into planets.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 14, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »

How do they not crash into planets? Do they see the giant planet ahead of them and go "oh shit I better not hit that planet" and then not hit the planet?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 14, 2016, 05:24:19 pm »

How do they not crash into planets? Do they see the giant planet ahead of them and go "oh shit I better not hit that planet" and then not hit the planet?
each world has pre-determined planets, so they probably just spawn on a trajectory that won't hit a planet.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 14, 2016, 05:34:02 pm »

Update 01.130

This one includes some good fixes!
-Ship movement is now server-side
Not having tested it, I would expect it to fix all the really weird behavior with landing gear. Hopefully not too prone to rubber-banding.
-Cargo ships are re-enabled
I disabled cargo ships a while ago because they were all crashing into planets. Then, Keen force-disabled them in worlds with planets. Now they're re-enabled and fixed! Cargo ships should now spawn in space, and not crash into planets.

For what it's worth I've played on the server for a few hours and had zero rubberbanding problems with the astronaut, so I expect ships should perform ok. I think the people really having trouble are the ones playing on servers with low simspeed, your server is pretty much rock solid 1.0 so I don't think it should have any serious trouble.

Also a warning to anyone playing on the server - cargo ships on means argantavis is on. He won't attack your stuff if you are offline but he will randomly spawn instead of a cargo ship sometimes and come for you if you're online. Last I played his drones were broken and didn't attack so he was no threat.... but that might have changed. So build some turrets if you're in space.

RE: nanite block:

On one hand I agree, this game needs more engineering and less magical all-in-one blocks.

On the other hand, we can already use welder walls to build ships but they make lag if you have more then a very small number, and require pistons (usually stacked on each other) which are still buggy sometimes. The nanite block is also surprisingly a lot more balanced - welders are basically free (mostly iron), use virtually no power, and build very quickly. The nanite block uses a LOT of power and builds relatively slow and (probably, don't remember offhand) costs more than a whole wall of welders. The nanite block also builds too slow to be very effective at self-repairing in combat and uses too much power to stack tons of them to make you invulnerable.

So basically, while ideally we'd have more engineering, I sort of feel like it's a good compromise given the current buggy/unoptimized/unbalanced state of the game.

Edit: I did notice some minor rubberbanding that seemed to be related to cargo ships spawning. Nothing too annoying.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:22:47 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 114