Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 655584 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:40 pm »

Did you miss the part where they've already shipped a game before and are basically going to do another version of it through Unity?

I'm all about diving all over Kickstarter pipe dreams, but this seemed pretty legit to me. Am I missing something?

I'll simply reiterate what I said before: they barely tell us anything about the damned game. Except 'it's been played by millions on Facebook'. That may well be the case, but it doesn't tell me jack s***, and I certainly can't be bothered to go play it on Facebook, since I hate Facebook games with a passion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #376 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

Either they are:

1. Porting a flash game to unity, which isn't terribly difficult if it is somewhat time consuming. It shouldn't require new art assets, just some work. If this is the case, I don't see why they need 285 thousand dollars and I don't see why they need to 'start on the concept phase' if they already have the game and millions of people love it.
2. Making an entirely new game in unity which shares a theme with a facebook game they made. If this is the case, they want the 285k before even starting on the conceptual stage of this new game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:47 pm »

"Hey! Ninjas Ninjas Ninjas I'm in my underwear. Donate now."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #378 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

Yeah, they're going to need new art assets to change from 2D to 3D... It's a lot of cash to ask for, but there's nothing really terrible about the concept.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »

Yeah, they're going to need new art assets to change from 2D to 3D... It's a lot of cash to ask for, but there's nothing really terrible about the concept.

Because there's no concept?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #380 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:10 pm »

So they're doing a completely new game with a similar theme and will not even start on the concept phase until the kickstarter money goal is reached, according to what they have said there. You don't see the problem here?

Basically at this point they have on the idea board:

Game with ninjas

Unity

3D

Kickstarter Money ($285k!!)

And they will not go beyond that stage until they have money. They have no idea to show us, no concept of what the game will be (ninjas duh!) and will not even START on that concept until they are fully funded.

Also: Did anyone notice the Shadowrun kickstarter was fully funded in less than 24 hours?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:09:48 pm by forsaken1111 »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

Also: Did anyone notice the Shadowrun kickstarter was fully funded in less than 24 hours?

I had.  Considering that I found it via another forum. ;)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 05, 2012, 04:36:09 pm »

I'm waiting for a WhiteWolf game to show up on kickstarter. I'd frenzy over it.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 05, 2012, 05:50:54 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:04 pm »

I'm waiting for a WhiteWolf game to show up on kickstarter. I'd frenzy over it.

I think CCP owns the rights to WW now, so I highly doubt you'll see it on Kickstarter unless they're the ones to do it. And they're already several years into the WoD MMO.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 05, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokenbulb/ninja-warz?ref=category

Here's a good example of 'Content is King'.

That's actually a pretty well-done video, but that project will never receive the kind of funding they're asking for. The reason is simple: they barely tell us anything about the damned game.

1,436 people like this. Be the first of your friends.

$1,477
PLEDGED OF $285,000 GOAL

Makes no sense.

E: Also, I refuse to pay for their marketing.  It was a really stupid idea for them to mention that.

2.E: Where were all these folks who are complaining about lack of a concept when Schafer was doing his Kickstarter? /devils advocate
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:15:48 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »

He did have a lack of a concept (besides genre), but he has a well-known reputation to uphold, and people know that Double Fine can indeed finish things. And 2PP is documenting them making said game.

The ninja guys are nowhere near as well known, don't seem to have made much besides a popular facebook game, and generally have much less to lose if they don't actually finish the game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »

This thread reminded me of this vaporware that my friends roommate was making a while back: http://www.crownsandrebels.com/
The old website actually had some more stuff on it, don't know what happened.

I was chilling in their room and saw him doing this concept art and I asked him what he was doing.  He explained that he was making vaporware.  He just liked trolling people by promising this stuff, getting them discussing it and then disappearing once he some people interested.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2012, 08:41:11 pm »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 06, 2012, 05:05:40 am »

This thread reminded me of this vaporware that my friends roommate was making a while back: http://www.crownsandrebels.com/
The old website actually had some more stuff on it, don't know what happened.

I was chilling in their room and saw him doing this concept art and I asked him what he was doing.  He explained that he was making vaporware.  He just liked trolling people by promising this stuff, getting them discussing it and then disappearing once he some people interested.
That's kinda evil, hilarious but evil.
A space combat game?

RPS article abouts it
Looks neat I guess, not my kind of game though. Shame they haven't been doing too well.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 213