Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 655589 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #795 on: May 03, 2012, 07:26:38 pm »

It's hard to browse kickstarter, but take a look at this page, keep scrolling down, and then tell me that more than 25% are worthwhile projects with realistic goals. Because seriously, you can't say that with a straight face.

EDIT:
I'd be really interested to know what the average % over-funded is for successful Kickstarter games. If there's an effect where games that have already succeeded draw more dollars. Because if that were true, you could plan for $2k and make it easily, and end up with $12k.
There's probably some truth that that at least from the fact that recently successful projects are posted on the site's front page.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:30:28 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 03, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »

I think this is a pretty good example of starting small and working your way up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 03, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »

hm... wondering if i can start a kickstarter on world domination

the lowest tier reward will include not being executed by the deathsquads. higher tier rewards include positions on the government

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 03, 2012, 08:04:40 pm »

According to Gawker, 25% of all gaming kickstarters meet their funding goals.

If this is true, that pretty much put a damper on a plan of mine to launch a kickstarter of my own.
25% is pretty damn high once you factor in all the idiots.  I honestly can't think of a single promising (PC game) project that failed to reach it's target.

Yeah, 25% sounds like a pretty high number. That's a high enough number that I feel if you had a legitimately good idea that was presented well and had a reasonable goal, it would have a very high chance of getting reached. I feel like projects like that are at most 30-40% of the stuff there.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #799 on: May 03, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »

the lowest tier reward will include not being executed by the deathsquads. higher tier rewards include positions on the government

"Hello, worthless peon. This is your soon-to-be Overlord, ----- -------. As I plan on being a progressive Overlord, I have shunned more traditional funding methods such as digging up troves of Nazi gold or selling orphaned children on the organ harvesting black market, and have instead decided to turn to crowdfunding, the wave of the future. As you may imagine, the startup costs for an evil empire are quite prohibitive. This is where you come in, peasant."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:07:56 pm by Lord Dullard »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #800 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:37 pm »

That sounds like massive fun if it ever gets through the Kickstarter filters. People pledging as trolls.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 03, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »

A friend of mine helpfully points out that this isn't technically against Kickstarter's TOS.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #802 on: May 03, 2012, 09:06:16 pm »

A friend of mine helpfully points out that this isn't technically against Kickstarter's TOS.

Nah, 'offensive' can cover anything.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #803 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:59 pm »

If it doesn't cover 'give me money for pooping on random hotel beds', I somehow doubt it covers this.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #804 on: May 03, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »

But it did—if I remember correctly, it was not approved 'cause violation of KS terms.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 03, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »

while researching for my next kickstarter project, which for safety reasons i'll keep secret, i stumbled upon this unfortunately unsuccessful project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theandyerickson/hench-the-game-a-card-and-dice-game?ref=users

the guy probably didn't know where to advertise this.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »

This is a big thread. What is a hookerbot?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 03, 2012, 09:45:43 pm »

If he does miraculously pull it off and have a real, playable, marketable game at the end that doesn't have god awful mechanics and a hodgepodge of themes, etc. and he's still sane.  I will eat my hat.
Reminds me of the xkcd comic "Constructive" (No. 810), particularly the last two panels (especially the last panel):
"But what will you do when spammers train their bots to make automated constructive and helpful comments?"
"MISSION. FUCKING. ACCOMPLISHED."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »

Reminded me of this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Curse you RedWarrior! Totally stole my thunder.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #809 on: May 03, 2012, 09:56:05 pm »

This is a big thread. What is a hookerbot?
Exactly what it sounds like. Being more specific some troll suggested that there should be hookerbots in the game, whats his name balks at this, troll pesters him a little, the idiot/idea man caves. Also one term, unlike bait-and-switch rape, which we do not come out on the top with Google.

Edit: anyway here is in counter to the threads title here is an awesome kickstarter which is way beyond its goal and still has a week to go.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:07:18 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 213