Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 656246 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1245 on: June 16, 2012, 09:00:43 pm »

Yes, how dare she want money for professionally made videos that people won't be able to just dismiss as "YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!!" How dare she want money for access to high quality research so nobody can dismiss her sources.

I expect my $25 to be used well. I checked out her past videos, her stuff is solid.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 16, 2012, 09:34:21 pm »

Yes, how dare she want money for professionally made videos that people won't be able to just dismiss as "YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!!" How dare she want money for access to high quality research so nobody can dismiss her sources.

I expect my $25 to be used well. I checked out her past videos, her stuff is solid.
Scam or not, this woman is gaining fame simply for demonizing the "evil male domintated media industry", by claiming that childrens toy comercials= opression of women.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 16, 2012, 09:37:45 pm »

Link to that specifically, please. I haven't watched her videos except to skim through a couple, so I'm neutral and impressionable as to their content. Convert me to the hater side.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »

Toy commercials? You couldn't have picked a better criticism? If anything, sexism gets more blatant in children's media.

I'll admit I've only watched about five of her videos, but her biggest fault seems to be some occasional corny comments. At no time has she said anything nearly as strawmanish as "evil male dominated media industry", instead repeatedly showing examples and building off the work of others like Women in Refrigerators.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:37 pm »

Yea WiR. WiR is interesting, but I think its greatest flaw, is that it outright states that woman are depowered and killed disportionately to males. I havent never seen an honest count of that. If anything, secondary characters are going to get the ax way more often the leading characters. I think its gender indifferent.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:10 pm »

Superheroes in general get depowered or killed at the drop of a hat. Batman got his back broken, Superman's died like 5 times in the past 20 years, all but a handful of the mutants from X-Men got depowered at one point...
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 16, 2012, 10:15:39 pm »

Superheroes in general get depowered or killed at the drop of a hat. Batman got his back broken, Superman's died like 5 times in the past 20 years, all but a handful of the mutants from X-Men got depowered at one point...

A point that she mentioned in her videos. She countered by saying that male heroes nearly always got their powers back or came back to life, while female heroes mostly didn't.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 16, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »

A point that she mentioned in her videos. She countered by saying that male heroes nearly always got their powers back or came back to life, while female heroes mostly didn't.

But that doesnt really come from sexism. That generally from demand, if they're leading characters, or story reasons if they're secondary characters.  What leads to most super heros character resurrecting is readerbase request, or writers/artist wanting to use them again.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 16, 2012, 10:26:41 pm »

I think the more important part of WiR is that

a) Women are often killed or harmed quickly, without much of a fight, or offscreen. Bane breaking batman's back was huge. It was in your face, on the cover of the issue.
b) Men are hurt or depowered to advance their character, women are hurt or depowered to advance another character, typically male. She gives the example of a Batgirl who also got her back broken (well, shot in the spine, but same effect). Why'd this happen? To drive Commissioner Gordon insane. It was a plot device for him, not her.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 16, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »

I'd say it's mostly sidekicks and non-A-list heroes. Most A-list heroes are male. Wonder Woman's the only really big superhero, and she's A-OK as far as it comes to super powers as of the New 52.

Random bigshot list of super heroes: IGN's top 100 comic book heroes. Wonder woman's the only female character in the top 10, and the only leading female character in the list as far as I bothered to check.

I think the point that's trying to be made is that females are used as damsels in distress/morality pets/angst machines rather than active characters, but that's more because they're not in the spotlight (being side characters) than their gender. Male characters get the same treatment; Jason Todd (robin #2) died to give Batman some angst, just like Green Lantern's girlfriend being stuffed into a fridge did.

To fix this problem, I think we just need more big female superheroes. Wonder Woman's pretty lonely at the top.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 16, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »

I think the more important part of WiR is that

a) Women are often killed or harmed quickly, without much of a fight, or offscreen. Bane breaking batman's back was huge. It was in your face, on the cover of the issue.
b) Men are hurt or depowered to advance their character, women are hurt or depowered to advance another character, typically male. She gives the example of a Batgirl who also got her back broken (well, shot in the spine, but same effect). Why'd this happen? To drive Commissioner Gordon insane. It was a plot device for him, not her.
Yea, that what WiR is saying, but that what Secondary Characters are suppose to do, indifferent to their gender. Its there story role, over their gender. And there been plethora of male secondary characters have also gotten fucked. Thats my issue, is that it implies that its distortional, but I dont see anything to support it, beside a bias list.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 16, 2012, 11:04:44 pm »

b) She gives the example of a Batgirl who also got her back broken (well, shot in the spine, but same effect).
There was an NPR talk bit about how there was a spin-off series where she was "The Oracle" or something and people got pissed when they did the Marvel reset or whatever and then she had a spine again. It sort of advanced her as a character.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 16, 2012, 11:35:16 pm »

Oracle was a badass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 16, 2012, 11:42:03 pm »

Oracle was a badass.
Pretty much this.
If anything, she's proof that women were being represented better in comics.

Ooh, Renee Montoya's pretty cool too.
I mean really, badass Gotham city cop & eventual successor to the Question? I have trouble thinking of all that many heroes that awesome.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:47:57 pm by SomeStupidGuy »
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 16, 2012, 11:50:57 pm »

Seriously. My only exposer to Question/Renee Montoya was their respective appearances in the DCAU, and if they're half as awesome in the comics...
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 213