Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124831 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1995 on: July 04, 2010, 02:24:19 am »

If you're using lava/magma and getting corpses, something's not right.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 04, 2010, 05:58:35 am »

That is just awesome...

A friend of mine asked about what he saw on screen:
"Is that lava?"
"No", I responded "that is the blood of my enemies"
He: "Can you give me a copy of that game?"

:D
Why can't my friends be like that.

"What the Carp* are you playing?"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Dude, it looks like a bunch of dots moving around! What are you supposed to do?"
"Survive and build useless constructs of Magma."
"Well, can you shoot anyone?"
"with a Crossbow and Arrow"
"Well that is gay."
"It is good once you get into it. There are plenty of things you can do!"
"Like Dropping a Nuke after a 25 kill streak?"
"Dude, there is no kill streak, you could kill a million Goblins, Elves, Humans, animals, and other stuff." Closest thing to a nuke is the 'Catsplosion theory'"
"Uhh, whatever this game sucks, there are no graphics and crap."

:'( Now I can only talk about Dwarf Fortress to Complete Strangers on a Fourm! No Offense.

*= Blocking a Vulgar word, is all.
No joke, dude. I'm working at a summer camp and you just quoted verbatum all the questions these little kids asked/responded with when they watched me playing it during lunch.

Kids these days, always with the fancy graphics and shoot-em-ups >>;

Damn right. Most of my friends think i'm a retard playing this, but infact they are the retards because they cant play it. they just dont compile.  [removed potty talk - tt]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:09:23 pm by ThreeToe »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 04, 2010, 05:06:20 pm »

Anty, dude...your spelling and vulgarity make your post the worst thing I've seen today.

On topic, a "one-eyed serpent" forgotten beast that I'd totally forgotten about came out of hiding when I sent a woodcutter out to harvest some wood from a previously closed off cavern. It killed two of my dwarves before I sealed the entrance. On its way out it got in a fight with a troll that, surprisingly, managed to escape with little damage. In fact, the forgotten beast itself was more wounded than the troll.

I also had a Blind Cave Ogre rip a mason's arm off. Not a good day for her.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »

I just realized my dwarves were burning all the feather wood.  I was gonna use that wood.  :(

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:49 pm »

Anty, dude...your spelling and vulgarity make your post the worst thing I've seen today.
QFT

Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: July 05, 2010, 01:41:23 am »

Well I decided to expand a diagonal flow section in my magma tubing without realizing that now my magma forges are completely covered in magma. Woops.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: July 05, 2010, 11:55:46 am »

well, being nifty with embark points, bought an anvil, 4 copper bars, 1 bar of coke, and a few rocks of bitiminious coal, and used the coke without making more coke first :(

fail :(
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 05, 2010, 12:12:38 pm »

well, being nifty with embark points, bought an anvil, 4 copper bars, 1 bar of coke, and a few rocks of bitiminious coal, and used the coke without making more coke first :(

fail :(

even bigger facepalm: i have logs to make more coke
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 05, 2010, 08:34:08 pm »

I struck Adamantine within mere months of starting my fortress. This next spring, my Civ's king arrived.

He didn't even make it to the fortress before he died of old age.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:46 pm »

I just killed my expedition leader. He died of thirst. I had him tagged as a miner. I was digging a 1-square-wide diagonal channel to a cistern from the river. Half my dwarves ran down there to pick up gold nuggets (this map was riddled with gold) and would constantly bump into each other and lose path to the stockpile above ground, and they'd keep doing it. Nobody could get through. By the time I realized I needed to a) widen the channel to get them all out of it, and b) dig a back exit from the cistern into the bottom of my fort, they were all on the verge of dying. Then they died, starting with the expedition leader himself. Within a year of embark.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 06, 2010, 12:24:24 am »

Haven't gotten an embark with a brook for a while now.  Been scraping by by draining pools into carefully hollowed-out future farm plot rooms, and then channeling what little overflow is left to start a small underground tree farm for emergencies.  Lots of re-walling the pools up after irrigation; lots of misshapen rooms.

And then I JUST REMEMBERED:  I'm sitting on an aquifer.  I have a windpower 40 map.  I have an infinite pinata of free water for the pumping.  D'oh.

ETA!!  Left the game unpaused while typing this up.  Found pages of bright pink death messages.

Oh, right.  Pterosaurs fly, don't they?  *facepalms*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:27:11 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 06, 2010, 02:37:10 pm »

"peasant urist is trowing a tantrum"
no danger at all rigth ?? well till i realised that he was my strongest fully steel equipped axedwarf. He chops off the left arms of two of my other axedwarfs who i send out to kill him.
ended up in a tantrum spiral and a reverce to save.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 06, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »

Hey, I hear ramps work better than stairs, lemme try that! I bet I have a pretty simple, compact way to make ramps too. Hey, why are all my miners sitting at the bottom of my new base and starving, rather than leaving and going to get food? Oh, ok, I made ramps that go down just fine, but...

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 06, 2010, 04:31:11 pm »

I hadn't managed to get my Magma shops up and running, so I hadn't made any armour yet.  But I had a handful of masterwork steel axes thanks to a formerly Fey Legendary Weaponsmith.  (I wanted to crank out some weapons before skill rust set in.  After that the emergency forge was deconstructed.)   Forgetting my complete lack of metal armours, I assign my two recently-Legendary fighters to a squad using all-steel armour and weapons.  Pretty soon they were sparring with the axes and gaining skill like mad dwarfs.  Until the end of their second or third season:

Urist McAxeNoob is unhappy. Urist McAxeNoob killed a sparring partner recently.  Urist McAxeNoob took joy in slaughter recently.  Urist McAxeNoob witnessed death recently.  Urist McAxeNoob lost a friend to tragedy recently....

So, yeah, sparring in the nude with Masterwork Steel BattleAxes is a bit lethal....

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2009 on: July 06, 2010, 06:30:38 pm »

ETA!!  Left the game unpaused while typing this up.  Found pages of bright pink death messages.

Set the fort to pause on citizen death: edit [CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R] into announcements-init.

I like to drain pools too, and not mess with rivers, brooks and aquifers.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 729