Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124834 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5955 on: March 12, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »

...Accidentally starving to death a bowyer by locking her door shut.

After she had finished making an artifact ;_;

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »

Made 2 squads, one with 4 melee and one with 4 marksdwarves.
Gave each squad dedicated barracks and engraved every square meter of them to ensure the happiness of my recruits.
Well stocked armories and a constant supply of bolts.
For every 3 dorfs training, 1 will be off-duty so they won't start complaining.
Nothing eventful happened and after 3 years i check on their progress.

Forgot to switch them to Active/Training

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:59 pm »

Noticed my hospital wells were filled with stagnant water. I figured I'd flush it through, get some new water in.

Hah, no. Trees sprouted up.

Cue making a bypass, draining the clogged bit, smoothing, tiling, draining the second clogged bit, another tree sprouts, cut it down, drain further, etc. To make a long story short a one-tile wide pipe is now three wide with a a one-wide bypass starting around halfway.

Fill it back up, water is still stagnant. Fresh from the river, but the river is stagnant.   

All that for nothing.
Oh man, I remember the first time that happened to me in a huge system of  one tile wide sewers it took me forever to clean up again.  I had smoothed all the floors thinking that would prevent growth.  It doesn't.

So after I finally cut down all the offending trees and built floors in I seal it all up again, only to discover that trees will still gro over pressure plates and floodgates if there isn't a floor there first.  Meaning I had to empty the whole damn thing again, deconstruct my plates and floodgates, build more floors, put the flood gates and plates back in and re-link everything back together while making sure my dwarves could still get out safely.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: March 12, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »

Stagnant water is seriously broken right now.  A good idea overall, but one needing some love from toady1

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:09 am »

Yeah, it's a bummer but it's not all that bad. The water still works perfectly fine, just a bit of effort wasted. No biggie.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: March 13, 2012, 03:29:05 am »

I forgot to spend points on farming and brewing/cooking on embark. Didn't get a farmer-migrant until in the third wave or something. Now I'm out of plump helmet spawns due to unskilled dwarves planting them, and didn't realise this until the first caravan had already left in the autumn. Nothing to grow in the winter, the dwarves are getting thirsty; there's not even water on the map as all of it evaporated shortly after embark. It doesn't seem to rain enough to refill the ponds.

Looks like even underground water is gone. There are trees and other vegetation in the caverns, and muddy floors but no water. Do you know if this is intended?

Anyways, spring arrived and I could start farming sweet pods, and hopefully get some of them brewn before massive dehydration kicks in.

Other than that, the embark looks great. Full of magnetite and flux, no bituminous coal or magma pools though but the site's heavily forested. Lots of tetrahedrite, too. I have also spotted three veins of candy this far, and even my first curious structure ever.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: March 13, 2012, 05:05:34 am »

I forgot to spend points on farming and brewing/cooking on embark. Didn't get a farmer-migrant until in the third wave or something. Now I'm out of plump helmet spawns due to unskilled dwarves planting them, and didn't realise this until the first caravan had already left in the autumn. Nothing to grow in the winter, the dwarves are getting thirsty; there's not even water on the map as all of it evaporated shortly after embark. It doesn't seem to rain enough to refill the ponds.
...and here I was thinking my embarking without a suitable CMD was bad... :D
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: March 13, 2012, 05:38:38 am »

...and here I was thinking my embarking without a suitable CMD was bad... :D
Yeah. I simply forgot, and started wondering why my farm plots remained unconstructed and inactive. Basic enough to be forgotten just like that, "well of course I have a farmer in starting seven, why do you ask?". Haven't facepalmed like this in a while.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

sprawl15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:12 am »

I was using a series of cage traps at the front of my fortress to catch those pesky thieves (ground level had one entrance with the rest walled off).  After dealing with a few goblin ambushes, I set up a big corpse pit outside my walls to more easily flag body parts and corpses for dumping more easily without having to look around the battlefield.  Easy peasy.  I naturally get lazy and the bodies pile up...no big problem, I'll get around to it right after I finish decorating the new statue garden.

That is, no big problem until a necromancer shows up at my gates and immediately walks into a cage trap.  Right next to the huge pile of corpses.  And it just so happens that necromancers can resurrect nearby dead from within a cage.  Since most of the nearby corpses were skeletons, it turned real hellish real quickly, as limbs went flying only to be immediately raised...the fight must have lasted a solid 10-15 minutes.  My marksdwarves squad that had delt with a forgotten beast and many goblin raids with nary a scratch were utterly overwhelmed by Kobold Skulls and Goblin Left Toes, torn down from their full 10 to only 3, all wounded heavily.  My melee squad that was still undergeared and undertrained went in to relieve them and suffered similar casualties.  In the middle of all this, another necromancer attacked, but due to the utter chaos happening around my garbage pile, he didn't make it to the cage traps and was actually killed extremely easily; I think one of my marksdwarves killed him in two shots.

Luckily, the line held despite the dwarves having to beat all the corpses into dust.  This gave enough time for someone to run up and grab the necro cage to be placed in a safer location.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:21 pm »

I was using a series of cage traps at the front of my fortress to catch those pesky thieves (ground level had one entrance with the rest walled off).  After dealing with a few goblin ambushes, I set up a big corpse pit outside my walls to more easily flag body parts and corpses for dumping more easily without having to look around the battlefield.  Easy peasy.  I naturally get lazy and the bodies pile up...no big problem, I'll get around to it right after I finish decorating the new statue garden.

That is, no big problem until a necromancer shows up at my gates and immediately walks into a cage trap.  Right next to the huge pile of corpses.  And it just so happens that necromancers can resurrect nearby dead from within a cage.  Since most of the nearby corpses were skeletons, it turned real hellish real quickly, as limbs went flying only to be immediately raised...the fight must have lasted a solid 10-15 minutes.  My marksdwarves squad that had delt with a forgotten beast and many goblin raids with nary a scratch were utterly overwhelmed by Kobold Skulls and Goblin Left Toes, torn down from their full 10 to only 3, all wounded heavily.  My melee squad that was still undergeared and undertrained went in to relieve them and suffered similar casualties.  In the middle of all this, another necromancer attacked, but due to the utter chaos happening around my garbage pile, he didn't make it to the cage traps and was actually killed extremely easily; I think one of my marksdwarves killed him in two shots.

Luckily, the line held despite the dwarves having to beat all the corpses into dust.  This gave enough time for someone to run up and grab the necro cage to be placed in a safer location.

With the right narritive skills, that'd make for a good story.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: March 13, 2012, 01:57:41 pm »

It's moments like this that make DF an EPIC experience.  I doff my hat to you, good sir dwarf!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:17 pm »

Decided to try designating upward ramps instead of channels to dig a massive hole in the ground. Figured I'd just designate a dig tile on each level down as they clear, giving them access to the next level from the stairs. Prevent miners from falling to their doom, and all.

Turns out they treat upward ramps on the next level down as a channel on their current level.

Oh look, falling miners, and falling haulers this time.

EDIT: and now a cave-in. SIGH.

E2: and now all my miners have fallen to their death. Hello, tantrums. Think I'll save scum...

Note to self: They channel to reach upward-ramp designations.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:23:05 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: March 14, 2012, 12:25:55 am »

Long time lurker first time poster here. Epic thread.

So i have played DF on a crap PC for the last 2-3 years on small maps with short history's and crap FPS.

I build a new PC. So I think lets gen a medium map with 1500 years of history 100's of extra beast's/curse's you name it. 15 minuets later map pops out, Site is found and embark with the one goal of gobblin medical experiments in mind.

Year 1 - get settled, Year 2 build some basic barricades and start exploring underground, Year 3 - get military set up for WAR! and so its peacefully rolls on to year 10 and I stop and think to my self "Wheres all the gobbo's?". Turns out they dint make it through 1500 years of history. Facedesk ... I spose will have to switch to elves.

On the bright side I have captured 2 vampires that proved incredibly hard to kill. first I dropped them 4 zlvls that did paralyze both. One stopped breathing for the rest of his undeath after the fall. I found the good ole atom smasher still works on em.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #5968 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:05 am »

I was wondering why my raw glass was piling up. It turns out that the glass industry does not use raw glass to make glass furniture.

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:46 am »

I snagged some kaolinite and kimberlite at embark. They are very important for making my tombyard and there is a real possibility of an embark site not having one or the other.
I set out with no food, seeds or alcohol. (I have no idea why these items are unavailable)
I'm not too worried as there is a river and I have a few animals for meat so I should be able to hold out until the first caravan arrives.
First order of business is to build the well.
I dig and set a mechanic to make trap components

I come back from digging to find my two precious stones gone from the wagon! ;_; I didn't think to forbid them and the brainless mechanic took rocks from the wagon instead the stones he was surrounded with. ARG!
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 729