Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2128659 times)

Gloomy1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8865 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:32 am »

I built a small keep over my fort entrance to house my militia - second floor houses my axedwarfs and the third floor has fortifications and archers.  When the goblin siege finally arrives I raise the bridge and send my archers to their stations.   Soon I notice 2 archers managed to get outside my keep!  They charged 40 goblins and died fast... then I notice one of my melee troops is outside and charging the enemy!  Then more archers!  I'm looking everywhere and can't find any way for my troops to get out.  Pretty soon half of my troops have charged the goblin army one or two at a time! 

Then I remember that climbing has been added.  I forgot to forbid my roof hatch!  My stupid archers were climbing onto the roof and down the walls of the keep to charge the goblins instead of staying behind fortifications and shooting. :P

Duh!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:27 am »

I just found out in the world gen thread that by highlighting a biome on embark you can make sure your wagon lands on the one square of non-bloodrain/zombie-wildlife horrors in the map...

I can deal with the awfulness if I have just a little breathing room, but starting out with the dwarves nauseous and panic-cleaning dwarf blood off of themselves rather than digging a defensible position before the six boar corpses around the corner find them... well, that ended quickly.
and how do you do this?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: September 30, 2014, 08:48:40 am »

I just found out in the world gen thread that by highlighting a biome on embark you can make sure your wagon lands on the one square of non-bloodrain/zombie-wildlife horrors in the map...

I can deal with the awfulness if I have just a little breathing room, but starting out with the dwarves nauseous and panic-cleaning dwarf blood off of themselves rather than digging a defensible position before the six boar corpses around the corner find them... well, that ended quickly.
and how do you do this?
Hit f1/f2/etc and have it highlighted when you embark apparently. T.T

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: September 30, 2014, 05:50:41 pm »

and how do you do this?
Hit f1/f2/etc and have it highlighted when you embark apparently. T.T

@.@

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:46 pm »

Whenever I find a worldgen fortress that bottoms out in magma. Happened at least twice now.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: September 30, 2014, 06:45:12 pm »

Whenever I find a worldgen fortress that bottoms out in magma. Happened at least twice now.

Are you talking about the ones which have a staircase which is full of magma? Seen plenty of those in adventure mode.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: September 30, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »

Are you talking about the ones which have a staircase which is full of magma? Seen plenty of those in adventure mode.

Yep. What idiot designed and built those places?  ::)
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: September 30, 2014, 07:34:42 pm »

Yep. What idiot designed and built those places?  ::)

*Cough*

Yeah, who would flood the bottom of their fort with magma like that.  Talk about total losers.

Right.   :-\

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:08 pm »

Spoiler: Quotes (click to show/hide)

I remember finding one that appeared to end in a frigging magma pool. Got the popup and everything.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:08 am »

Fun fact: Caged beserk dwarves become free beserk dwarves if you abandon then reclaim the fortress.
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: October 01, 2014, 10:28:17 am »

I fell out of a tree.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now how do I play Stranger?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

Urist McMiner was digging me a vertical shaft for my well. In the middle of the work, he went on break and once break ended, he apparently climbed up leaving shaft unaccessible unworked.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: October 01, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »

Carefully planned embark based on the 'wagon = three logs = 1 carpentry workshop + two training axes' trick.

Arrived on steep slope, no wagon. D:
()==[:::::::::::::>

Naglfar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: October 01, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »

Carefully planned embark based on the 'wagon = three logs = 1 carpentry workshop + two training axes' trick.

Arrived on steep slope, no wagon. D:

That is hilarious! On a side note, how were you planning to obtain the pick?
There is no cow level.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:28 pm »

Urist McMiner was digging me a vertical shaft for my well. In the middle of the work, he went on break and once break ended, he apparently climbed up leaving shaft unaccessible unworked.
Set up a minecart and have him ride it back down there. Hopefully his arms will remain intact. ;)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 729