Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2128551 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10305 on: February 08, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »

gladiator battles for military training

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: February 08, 2018, 06:53:53 pm »

i got no idea as of how to design a good arena and how to run it without creating many more facepalm moments...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: February 08, 2018, 07:02:42 pm »

i got no idea as of how to design a good arena and how to run it without creating many more facepalm moments...

You can literally just dig out a random area, build a bunch of cages inside, station your military and open the cages with levers. Though you might want to use bridges as opposed to doors in the entrances, since trolls are building destroyers.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: February 08, 2018, 07:12:02 pm »

You can literally just dig out a random area, build a bunch of cages inside, station your military and open the cages with levers. Though you might want to use bridges as opposed to doors in the entrances, since trolls are building destroyers.
i always thought i'd need to build an elaborate arena with ranks for archers and cage traps at the entrances just in case something becomes FUN...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: February 08, 2018, 07:15:18 pm »

i always thought i'd need to build an elaborate arena with ranks for archers and cage traps at the entrances just in case something becomes FUN...
Don't need ranks for archers if you don't want to train archers. Cage traps are also unnecessary if you use bridges at the exits (and close them whenever you start training).
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: February 09, 2018, 08:40:38 pm »

The outpost of Valleycrafted claimed its first dwarven life today, when I rediscovered why it's a bad idea to de-construct the down-stairs at the top of a 26 z-level stack of stairs. Tip: first build a hatch or grate two levels below what you are de-constructing.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:32 pm »

Found out that everybody in my fortress makes fun of my manager's fear of lizards.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: February 16, 2018, 11:07:26 pm »

When I figured out how to reclaim a lost fort...  I used to stress about losing a fort and played it too safe.  Now that all that work building up the basic fort framework doesn't have to be completely lost, I've been living fast and taking chances. 

Edit: And again when I figured out how to transfer saves from earlier versions to the new versions.  So excited for raiding! 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:01:32 pm by Schmaven »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: February 26, 2018, 04:35:17 am »

A three eyed raven titan has come. Standard defensive procedures.. I send the civilians inside a barrow and my legendary axe lord squad to the fortress entrance.

Ok I'm ready, where is it?  It should be here already. (zoom to titan's location)

Titan is attacking a door leading to the civilian barrow. How the fuck???? I realize I forgot to build a floor after chopping a tree on the level above. Quickly rearrange the barrows. Civilians leave and the military is now waiting on the other side of the door. (The door breaks and the battle start)

Hmm, this battle has been going for too long. (check combat log)
Why is everyone wrestling?? What the fuck is going on??? Slowly I realize I also forgot to reassign them weapons.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: February 27, 2018, 09:24:23 pm »

Found out that everybody in my fortress makes fun of my manager's fear of lizards.
Nasty trolling engravers, or everyone?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: February 27, 2018, 11:26:33 pm »

Nasty trolling engravers, or everyone?
Engravings and statues.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: February 28, 2018, 02:55:41 pm »

They make the engravings and statues of him surrounded by lizards? Do they have a grudge with him, or are they just jerks?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: March 01, 2018, 02:20:11 am »

I checked one of the artists' relationships screen. He didn't even know her. Just carved a picture of her surrounded by lizards, with a terrified expression. Must be a local legend.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: March 02, 2018, 02:01:13 pm »

When i just want to play DF:
Aquifer everywhere!
No hostiles EVER!
When i want to do quick !SCIENCE! test that includes aquifer:
Aquifer barely exists.
Two giant grizzly bears come in, killed two dwarves and stealed some plump helmets.
Great troglodites in a cave.
Troll rushes out of the cave, breaks everything, goes back.
That was on map without aquifer.  :P

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »

Fire, fire everywhere! I panicked, got people inside, got the army ready in case of firey invaders, locked the doors. Then I actually loo'k'ed at the fire.

It was just leaves falling.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 729