Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Urist McShip, the very first Dwarven space ship!  (Read 11323 times)

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Urist McShip, the very first Dwarven space ship!
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure obsidian melts at lower temps than steel.  I had actually been thinking of real temperature values for stones that you get with the molten rocks mod; those are going into the game eventually anyway.
Well it may melt but concider it a Extra casing against damage..If it melts off, oh well, but if not, then Huzah for that...

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2009, 10:28:22 pm »

Steel has been suggested.
While adamantine would be more insane and dwarven, there's the problem that it is in vanilla-mode incredibly rare.

Maybe use some of the adamantine to protect the engine, or some other vital device. Or maybe make the Clerk's room out of adamantine. The blackbox has to be protected.

I believe I have the answer, which I also posted earlier:
Harvest the entire world supply of Adamantine first by sending teams of 7 miners to do it in half a year, then bring it all to the build site in adventurer mode!  The same can be done for other minerals and gems, just set [MAX_POP] to 1 and mine until you run out of booze!  Anything you don't use can be stored in the ship's on-board quantum stockpiles; anything else that you don't want to keep can just be annihilated into nothingness!!!

Doing this, you'll get HUGE immigrant waves and reclamation armies, and you may want to get your infrastructure ready for 200 dwarves before you move in all the adamantine.  Just make sure you got a legendary adventurer with a personal guard of heroes before you start moving the adamantine; you don't want to lose even 1Γ of it!
If for some reason we CANT coat the shell in Adamantine, I think the engine would best serve being made out of the stuff. The hull we can always just leave steel coated...Or,...

Why dont we Have steel plate for the main hull, coated with Obsidian? THAT should be able to stand up the the heat of space well

Ok, I understand your concern, but just remember that in a medium-sized world, there is over a hundred mineable lodes; (probably, it's not like anyone's ever counted) multiply that by about a hundred ores per lode, and you've got ten thousand wafers to work with, or a thousand blocks.  (A wall made with a wafer/bar would be like a thin plate, while a block would be more like a solid bulkhead.)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2009, 10:32:59 pm »

I think blocks take more wafers.  But spaceship exteriors work fine made mostly from plates anyway.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]