Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 362691 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2014, 12:49:17 am »

Fantastic formations... Is there a way to encourage the traders to appear at a certain section of the map?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2014, 01:30:12 am »

Fantastic formations... Is there a way to encourage the traders to appear at a certain section of the map?

Make it the only depot-accessible area on the map.
くコ:彡

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2014, 02:43:30 am »

Make it the only depot-accessible area on the map.

That's right. If the depot is only accessible to a certain portion of the map's edge, the caravan will arrive somewhere along that portion.

Great work as always!
Also really like your titelcards. Very pretty.

Thanks! It's just a lot of imgur filters... nothing special.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2014, 02:53:27 am »

Erm... SIX swordmasters in a reanimating biome? Why? More importantly, how are you not dead to swarms of reanimated skin and severed hands?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2014, 03:02:25 am »

It's more or less a result of the entire military being allowed to select their own weapons, combined with the vampire mayor's repeated mandates for the production of short swords. In spite of the added dangers, which you note, I'm content to let the story unfold as naturally as possible.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2014, 04:46:44 am »

More importantly, how are you not dead to swarms of reanimated skin and severed hands?
He hasn't really engaged any undead unless there was no other way, and surrounded his butcher shops with cage traps if I remember correctly.
Also, the reanimation takes some time, so he can dump corpses into the caverns or magma.
left eye

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2014, 06:37:42 pm »

I'd like to note that given the character of your fort, DS, your avatar is particularly amusing.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »

Heh, I suppose it is.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:14 pm »

This is my favourite story fort on the forums by the way, I really hope you keep going with it!
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2014, 01:00:17 am »

I'm not planning on stopping! Things may slow, but I assure you, the story will eventually reach it's inevitable conclusion.

The new chapter has been posted!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2014, 07:53:03 pm »

Okay, this is weird. I just now came across what seems unintentionally to be Roomcarnage's theme song. It's chiptune (which I've always envisioned fitting DF, anyway), the lyrics fit — eerily well at times, and the switches between the human-/growly-sounding voices are definitely reminiscent of Roomcarnage's Momentous-Dye/Ice-of-Ghosts duality.

Gather all your thoughts
you're gonna need 'em getting through
the fortress of frost:
countless frozen cells
imprisoning the ones who fell
This might not end well

Awesome story so far, by the way. I eagerly await the next segment!
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2014, 03:19:24 am »

I just got caught up, and I must say this is an incredible story. The location is epic, the way you decide to play it is epic, the story is epic, and the way you tell the story is epic.

However, I had a thought about the vampires. If you are that bothered by their slow labor, and their labor does indeed prove quite useful, then why don't you feed them? If I remember correctly, I believe vampires will feed off animals if no dwarfs are available. You have plenty of dogs and stuff, right? Maybe try and choose something that may die of old age soon? Or alternatively, you could feed them a wounded dwarf that you would otherwise condemn to die behind closed walls/doors in the hospital. Not that you anticipate that to be a long term problem once you have a water source, but it is a secondary option for the short term. Either way, that should be a way to speed up the vampire labor as well as remove potential corpses to the outside. You just have to make sure the vampire and "blood donor" are in a sealed room away from the zombie diagnosers and other undead who might attack said "blood donors" before the vampires can feed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:21:52 am by Shadow Of Fate »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2014, 03:44:36 pm »

Unfortunately, the vampire's lethargy is a result of alcohol deprivation, not a lack of blood. Since vampires don't ever drink alcohol (without modding), they are stuck in their slowed state perpetually.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, and your kind words!

That's a pretty cool song too! I haven't really considered if Roomcarnage has a theme song. I listen to all sorts of stuff while I play, so there's not one single song that I think of in relation to the fortress.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:47 pm »

Chapter thirty has been posted!

Wow! Thirty chapters. Back when I started, I didn't think I'd make it past ten. But here we are! Thanks for reading.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2014, 02:56:26 am »

Chapter thirty has been posted!

Wow! Thirty chapters. Back when I started, I didn't think I'd make it past ten. But here we are! Thanks for reading.
Some close calls in there -- the tension is killing me!
I'm loving this series, great job.
A question on the MELT, will the ice be able to replenish in any way?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44