Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing artifact recovery  (Read 2795 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Missing artifact recovery
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:15:10 pm »

An artifact was stolen in my fortress, but currently it shows as "Last seen in Ringswelter" which is my home fortress, so that isn't helping anything. I don't have anywhere to send dwarves to find it, and Ive interrogated both the thief and the agent he passed it to (who apparently returned after passing it on to someone else).

I want to know what else I can do to repatriate Machinewinds the Tufted Tightnesses, a cow bone amulet.

Out of extreme curiosity I looked in DFHack, and the goblin the artifact was passed to by the thief is shown as its holder unit, but the artifact is definitely not in its inventory. I can't seem to find any other info in DFHack to point me to where the artifact might be. If I knew what site I'd go send out some missions.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing artifact recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:53:50 pm »

I think if you export legends you can just search for it in the legends viewer. You’ll have to copy your save file and retire your fort first.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:22:39 am »

Well, legends mode tells me the artifact was offered to a goblin, and that goblin settled in the human hamlet of Strengthnations (7 days' travel). Coincidentally I also apprehended a thief who was carrying an artifact stolen from there, so I have one of their treasures. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to send inquiries to Strengthnations though. I could send my diplomat corps (one unarmed dwarf) to initiate contact if I wanted another human caravan I guess, but I don't know if that would bring me new info about my missing artifact.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 12:22:20 pm »

Well, legends mode tells me the artifact was offered to a goblin, and that goblin settled in the human hamlet of Strengthnations (7 days' travel). Coincidentally I also apprehended a thief who was carrying an artifact stolen from there, so I have one of their treasures. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to send inquiries to Strengthnations though. I could send my diplomat corps (one unarmed dwarf) to initiate contact if I wanted another human caravan I guess, but I don't know if that would bring me new info about my missing artifact.

If your artifact is in Strengthnations, you have a couple of options. One is to raid for it - basically a squad of military dwarves try to sneak in and grab the most valuable things they can find. If there are books and artifacts, they tend to prioritize those, so it might work. However it will likely start a war with the civilization, so be prepared for that.

I am not sure you can request the artifact back, but if you initiate diplomatic contact and they send you a diplomat, you should get some news from them every year, which may include the artifact. I am not sure if known stolen artifacts create missions like kidnapped children though, so you may still have to raid for it.

Alternatively you could retire your fortress, enter adventure mode, and manually go find the thief, steal it back and return it to your fortress. Horrific violence optional.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."