Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163834 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2015, 02:16:51 pm »

But just out of curiosity, what biomes were they, besides evil or not? 

Also, sorry for the late edit, so what are the wall spikes you mentioned before, and what did they do?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2015, 03:33:35 pm »

Harvest = lycanthropy thing, right? I remembered that you had a couple, though at first I thought it was Bloodborne. :(
Which somebody who's good at megaprojects should totally do as a fort theme!
EDIT: Hint hint.
Force embark on a human town. Breed a force of hunters and lycanthropes. Begin the hunt. Let Yarnham burn.
And the Harvest...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a giant battle axe that has been soaked in Dwarven blood since the day it was built. How many have died under its watch... How many have died...? Ha ha ha...

But just out of curiosity, what biomes were they, besides evil or not? 
Also, sorry for the late edit, so what are the wall spikes you mentioned before, and what did they do?
They're weapon traps placed on the top of the ground-level wall segment, alternating silver and copper menacing spikes. Considering how there are only two points where a non-flier can reach the wall spikes (at the brook entry and exit point), and that they're open to the world to see (so human and elven diplomats would make their civilizations unaffected by them) they're mostly for show as the Fort's tetrahedrite mines have produced a lot of copper and silver. They're meant to be seen, and they're meant to show off wealth in one of the most menacing ways possible: Through the menacing spike.

With that said... The spikes are active, and automated.

A majestic wild eagle that wishes to rest its legs by perching on my walls will find that my wall spikes have several disagreements with how attached it is to its limbs. And its organs.

This applies to ravens too, and I was amused once to find that I had accidentally walled a child outside the walls when it was attacked by the ravens. The ravens found the wall spikes to disagree with them too.

There's just under 800 wall spikes now, only the Moose Pit walls going up north to the southern side of the Brass Palisade need spiking. I may even use the steel spike surplus from hell to cap the last spike segments.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2015, 03:54:08 pm »

Silentthunders or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Raven

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2015, 10:31:35 pm »

The fact that your Broke is a crypt built on top of a brook called The Helpful Crypt is pretty amusingly appropriate.  (Although considering all this zombie raven stuff, one named "ill vulture" is also cutting close to the mark.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »

Within the society of Silentthunders the closest thing to a civilian class is the citizen's militia. Several Dwarves made it into this narrow band of society by virtue of possessing skills that were vital to the early Fort's survival. And so a few dozen Dwarves prefaced their name with C. (Citizen) instead of R. (Recruit). They were mostly all alcohol brewers, farmers and the occasional engineer, Dwarves who were privileged enough to have more time off-duty than regular soldiers in order to keep their respective industries running. One of these Dwarves was a Dwarf called Dishmab Wireduty.
Dishmab Wireduty was a mother to two called Deduk and Logem, and was herself married to Onul Portalcaves. She had the droll task of performing maintenance on the Quarry rampway that season, as it had been heavily damaged in the last attack - broken door splinters and snapped bolts littering the ramp. It was a quiet season of 439. In the aftermath of the last necromancer assault and the forgotten beast attacks, little happened of note. Salmon had been spotted in the reservoir in record numbers. Massive layers of limestone had been stripped bare and filled with obsidian.
Nunur the great alligator chose this time to ascend.
Nunur was an alligator whose hide was coated in fur, not scales. Nunur was also very big. It was nearly 170 times larger than the largest Dwarf and breathed fire. Nunur emerged from a crevice in the Quarry, crashing through the unsealed caverns, blocking Dishmab's sole exit. Dishmab reacted quickly by firing a steel bolt into the alligator's chest, tearing one of its lungs. Nunur attacked Dishmab again and again, throwing her far down the ramp. Tooth, claw and stone clashed sharply with Dwarven steel; Dishmab fired one last bolt, and she missed. Nunur swiftly caught her and battered her again and again. Dishmab hit the crocodile in vain, hits glancing off futilely, lacking the strength to cause any harm to a creature of such size. It could only end one way, Dishmab being forced closer and closer down the rampway into the magma sea. Dishmab had only one last chance and charged Nunur, right into the great alligator's jaws.
Caught in Nunur's jaws Dishmab was burnt. Dishmab was burnt again and again, her skin peeling from her flesh, her steel armour blistering her nerves and striking agonizing pain the likes of which has no equal. Her flesh was scorched to such an extent that death was certain. Only when she was on the ground prone did Dishmab cease his scorching roast, convinced she was done. She lay on the floor battered, bloody and burnt. Nunur could smell her charred muscle and fat. Nunur opened his jaws and prepared to finish its hunt by devouring Dishmab.
Dishmab had a choice to make. Be eaten by the giant furred crocodile, or be engulfed by the magma sea.
She rolled herself off the ramp and into the broiling depths below. Unlike any other Dwarf before her, the fall did not kill her as she fell from so low a height, becoming the first Dwarf of Silentthunders to reach the semi-molten rock below. The burning was so intense that the flask of river spirits she held vaporized, and the blood still left in her boiled. She did not pass out from pain. She did not die quickly. She had one last bolt to fire.
The bolt flew true and Nunur joined her in the depths. Unlike Dishmab, the fall killed the crocodile, its body violently tearing apart.

The Dwarves of the Pleated Stakes would arrive to find only a dropped door, a broken bolt, and a trail of bloody footprints leading over the edge into the magma sea below. When Dishmab did not return, she was declared missing. Everyone knows her body was taken by the lava flows, and Dishmab Wireduty is now once more a part of the Earth.

All the while this was going on, it had been nearly three years since Akrul Cerol Ragslaughter was brought to the hospital to recover. All other patients had since recovered and left long ago. All of the Fort's doctors worked tirelessly, but there was nothing that could be done - she would simply not wake from her coma. It cost very little to keep her alive, merely some freshwater and a bit of food every now and then; a drop in an ocean. Keeping a doctor at her side every day of the week every week of every month of every year however, was proving to take its toll. Her husband Doctor Tekkud would soon have to make the choice, having exhausted all other possible avenues of medicine, of letting her die. When he wasn't caring for Akrul, he was eating and drinking amongst the memorials just one floor above the hospital. It was rough. Akrul's eldest son ended up having to care for his younger brother, who was but 3 years old. One last ditch effort was made to save her life by moving her from one traction bench to another, to perhaps see if the operation could be started anew, to see if perhaps there was something Doc Onul or Doc Tekkud had missed. Something, that if they could just fix, would mean Akrul would one day awake.
There was nothing.
They had done everything.
I wrongly believed they would have the fortune to live or die together. This was far worse.

One day, against all odds, Akrul awoke... There was a quick rush to free her from her binds in the traction bench. She immediately stood up, slightly dazed, muttering strange words and orders. Attempts to placate her or reason with her failed, she dreamed of such things...
Possessed by unknown forces she made the long walk to the Magma Forges, taking over one of the obsidian masonries. There she toiled and laboured until she produced an artifact obsidian grate whose quality was of the utmost dwarvenship. Having completed her work, she returned to her squad and masonworks as normal, highly confused as to what the hell had just happened. As was I.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »

She was saved by the power of the Holy Spirit! PRAISE ARMOK!

Also, do you have any excess animal population?  I can't help but think that having a FB get into a ramp with civilian traffic like that is dangerous play to start with, even if "civilian" is a rather loosely defined term in your fort.  I'd prefer to send some valiant watch-poults to stand guard over the entrances to the caverns.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2015, 09:29:32 pm »

C. DIshmab was metal as fuck, not because she jumped into the SMR rather than rot in the gut of a big furry crocodile, no, because she took the fucker with her after jumping.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2015, 06:43:09 pm »

C. DIshmab was metal as fuck, not because she jumped into the SMR rather than rot in the gut of a big furry crocodile, no, because she took the fucker with her after jumping.
The captain goes down with the ship
The iceberg goes down with Dishmab

She was saved by the power of the Holy Spirit! PRAISE ARMOK!
I had no idea until now that Armok could be a viable medicinal practice

Also, do you have any excess animal population?  I can't help but think that having a FB get into a ramp with civilian traffic like that is dangerous play to start with, even if "civilian" is a rather loosely defined term in your fort.  I'd prefer to send some valiant watch-poults to stand guard over the entrances to the caverns.
I have a tendency to avoid leaving animals to stand guard too close to the quarry. Living creatures are just as likely to lure the forgotten beasts to the surface as they are to die and infest the ramp with their reanimated corpses. Still, the FBs are getting particularly restless. Not long after Nunur the crocodile beast attacked an ashen quadraped ascended the rampway. Oddly enough, it didn't seek the surface, instead moving into the first cavern layer. I think the best course of action is just to avoid maintenance in the quarry for the time being.

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2015, 07:03:21 pm »

Holy damn! That's how a real dwarf dies!
bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2015, 03:11:11 pm »

PTW. You are a true child of the earth.

cavedog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2015, 05:48:24 pm »

Any chance I could get an updated copy of the save? I'm looking for inspiration when it comes to fortress design, some of the stuff you've done here is really intriguing, it would be very appreciated.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2015, 04:42:58 am »

Any chance I could get an updated copy of the save? I'm looking for inspiration when it comes to fortress design, some of the stuff you've done here is really intriguing, it would be very appreciated.
Certainly, I'll get one up today or tomorrow

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2015, 08:56:08 am »

Just finished reading this. It is one of the gleaming jewels on Bay12's crown.

Also, as an aside, my first mod was to make ravens which spat webs. Truly, they were winged death. Killed my entire military.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »

C. Dishmab is one of the greatest dwarves to ever live, her story must be remembered. This whole fort is one of the best sagas ever to grace the Bay12 forums. Bravo.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »

Oh my, took the big furry crocodile down with her did she? While being melted in magma? Amazing.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32